SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inexpensive Vacation Ideas?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inexpensive Vacation Ideas? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I just completed a nine-day vacation trip to Costa Rica. It was great!

But I've come to learn that somehow I accrue more vacation time than I take, and that if I don't take more vacation before the end of August, I'll stop accruing it.

Nice problem to have, huh?

See, I don't take a lot of vacation time. There are two guys in my office that are in negative figures -- but I can't sell them my time, so don't ask.

But the Costa Rica trip took most of my vacation cash, so I'm faced with taking time off but not having money to spend on it.

I live in the D.C. suburbs, and I've thought of taking a "staycation" and doing a number of tourist-y things. There are some vacation packages that include food and lodging, and it might be interesting to see things from a different persepctive. Yet...

If you were going to take a week to 10 days off with a limited budget in mind, what would you do?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you were going to take a week to 10 days off with a limited budget in mind, what would you do?
In the past, I've done a combination of projects around the house and:
  • range day
  • fishing w/o guide
  • lunch with a friend and a movie
  • go on a hike
  • spend a day reading a book

Example 1 - you could unwind on day 1 with a day of reading a book, day 2 do projects around the house, day 3 (one of the bullets above), and then keep alternating between project days and one of the bullets above.

Example 2 - you could unwind on day 1 with a day of reading a book, and the rest of the days do projects in the morning and one of the bullets above in the afternoon/evening.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just for the
    hell of it
    Picture of comet24
    posted Hide Post
    What do you enjoy doing?

I would take a few days and disappear into parts of Dolly Sods/Roaring Plans in WV. Of course, you need to enjoy backpacking and sleeping under the stars in a tent. Temps average about 10-15 degrees cooler than DC which is nice for summer camping.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    Come to Philly for a couple days:

-Philadelphia Art Museum
    -Franklin Institute
    -National Constitution Center
    -Independence Hall
    -Philadelphia Zoo
    -Liberty Bell
    -Reading Terminal Market
    -Tons of great restaurants

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shit don't
    mean shit
    posted Hide Post
    I usually take a week off during the summer to work on home projects. However, some times that ends up costing more than a vacation! Any cheap projects you need to do around the house?

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go Vols!
    Picture of Oz_Shadow
    posted Hide Post
    Lots of cheap things to do in and around Nashville. TN War Museum, American Pickers Store, Jack Daniels tour, plenty of nature areas and falls, etc.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Serenity now!
    Picture of 4x5
    posted Hide Post
    I would do things I don't uaually have a chance to do, like kayaking, hiking, camping etc.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
    ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fpuhan
    posted Hide Post
    Some great ideas, folks. Keep 'em coming!

One thing about me: Staying at home doesn't feel like a vacation to me. I'm there every night and can pretty much do what I want (play guitar, edit photographs, walk/bike/explore the nearby parks and trails...

I like to get away. It makes it feel like a vacation!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    Do you like to camp or hike? You could go to Shenandoah or Great Smokey Mountains National Parks for a few days. Cheap. Beautiful.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cparktd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    Do you like to camp or hike? You could go to Shenandoah or Great Smokey Mountains National Parks for a few days. Cheap. Beautiful.

^^^^^
    Take a hike!

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com...19-waterfalls-in-va/

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    Speaking of hiking, I had a coworker (he retired) that hiked the Appalachian Trail. Every year, him and his wife would take a vacation to hike another segment until after many years they had hiked all of them. 554 miles of it are in Virginia so the OP could take a day hike or multi-day hike and not spend much money.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ShouldBFishin
    posted Hide Post
    In addition to the above suggestions, since you're in the DC area, I could spend several days at the Smithsonian museums.

Lots of historical sites to visit on the East coast if you're into that kind of thing.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bolt Thrower
    Picture of Voshterkoff
    posted Hide Post
    I'm starting one right now, going to go fishing in eastern Washington for a week with my father. Find a small, no-frills place to stay and fish your brains out.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Wife is taking the kids to her moms timeshare next Week. Fortunately that costs us nothing to use and is driving distance. They will get some groceries and use the in unit kitchen. I get to come home to a quiet House and Work all week. It’s a great vacation for me. BBQ and drink every night. I will clean the house the first night and it stays clean ! All week ! It’s so nice.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just for the
    hell of it
    Picture of comet24
    posted Hide Post
    Beside the backpacking/camping, I mentioned earlier your in DC.

Visit some museums, monument, Arlington Cemetery. If you have never walked around the mall area and monuments at night do it.

Korean War and WWII monuments are very special at night.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fpuhan
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by comet24:
    What do you enjoy doing?

I would take a few days and disappear into parts of Dolly Sods/Roaring Plans in WV. Of course, you need to enjoy backpacking and sleeping under the stars in a tent. Temps average about 10-15 degrees cooler than DC which is nice for summer camping.

I like this idea! A quick check into hotel in and around Davis, WV. show availability and good prices. And easy access to Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods, Seneca Rocks and more. Hmmm.

Thanks.

Keep 'em coming folks.

Oh, as far as the D.C. sights are concerned, I've seen them all. Many times. Great museums, parks, architecture and landmarks. But not this time.

:^)
    Picture of BillyBonesNY
    posted Hide Post
    DC Area... Drive to Chincoteague/Assateague.

Great, low cost vacation, go camping at harpers Ferry area and visit the Battlefields.

----------------------------------------
    http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    What kind of budget are you working with, and are you going solo?

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    What about all of the tourist things in your home town or state that you know about but have never done?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    ID go to the western mountains of NC and just putter around, drink too much whiskey and eat too much ....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post