SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas Rangers pitcher Cole Hamels donates his $9.75million Missouri mansion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Rangers pitcher Cole Hamels donates his $9.75million Missouri mansion Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Texas Rangers pitcher Cole Hamels wasn't able to move into his dream Missouri mansion- so he gave it to a children's charity just in time for Christmas.

Hamels, 33, and his wife, Heidi, announced Monday they are donating their $9.75million mansion and 100 acres of land in southwest Missouri to a charity that provides camps for children with special needs and chronic illnesses and their siblings.

The 32,000-square foot home will be donated to Camp Barnabas.

'Seeing the faces, hearing the laughter, reading the stories of the kids they serve; there is truly nothing like it,' Hamels said in a release from Hamels Foundation. 'Barnabas makes dreams come true, and we felt called to help them in a big way.'

The mansion and land is near Table Rock Lake near Reeds Springs. Heidi grew up in Buffalo, Missouri.

The Springfield News-Leader reports an attorney for the couple said they thought the mansion would be their dream home.

The unfinished home has 10-bedrooms, 19-bathrooms and sits on a lake in the Ozark mountains.

The massive property boasts more than 1,700 feet of shoreline along Table Rock Lake.

When Hamels was traded to the Rangers, they moved to Texas and never moved into the Missouri house.

The Hamels started to build the mansion in 2012 and listed it in August of this year, although it is unclear when they took the mansion off the market.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...mansion-charity.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is an amazing gift. That is a guy and his bride that get it. I have seen him interviewed a couple of times. Been impressed by him watching those.

God Bless him.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice tax deduction.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Class act.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Nice tax deduction.

Sour grapes, as usual.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Nice tax deduction.

Sour grapes, as usual.

Humor. Wink Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sour grapes, as usual.

Yep, our lil' ray of sunshine Wink
It's not his fault. He can't help himself. Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Yes, tax deduction...so they are only out of pocket about 6.5 million? Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Amazing gift indeed but..

Why does one need nearly twice as many bathrooms in the house than there are bedrooms?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the truth will set you free
Picture of ilikefirearms
posted Hide Post
It was subject to a dispute with the builder claiming shoddy construction and all sorts of problems. Still a nice gift but this more of making lemonade out of lemons

Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Posts: 1508 | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Amazing gift indeed but..

Why does one need nearly twice as many bathrooms in the house than there are bedrooms?

Parties, guests. And now, a group home! Personally, I like having a daytime bathroom and an evening bathroom.

Without guests walking through bedrooms, 100 people (going off TABLE P-701 — MINIMUM NUMBER OF PLUMBING FIXTURES) you want six toilets plus a urinal. 101 people, it goes to 9 water closets and two urinals.

Comfort and privacy have its price. As far as the tax break, there's nothing wrong with a tax break, nothing wrong with mentioning it. It is a very nice tax break. In itself the tax break does not diminish from their generosity unless you're splitting hairs of a few millions.

Wow, what a nice chunk of land!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
This mansion is just up the road from my parents place.

There had been plans to make it a spa and a winery, but the property is not zoned for commercial property.

My family liked to joke about buying it for ourselves.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That place is beautiful.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this story on the local news and the place looked unbelievable. It got me wondering how a charity can pay the taxes on a place like that let alone the upkeep. Table Rock lake is awesome!

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why on earth would a married couple need a 32,000 square foot home?????????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As someone who's followed MLB for many years, I can tell you without hesitation, Cole Hamels is top drawer when it comes to class. Only the magnitude of this gift surprises me. Mr. and Mrs. Hamels have been involved with a number of charities for quite some time, and have done a great deal of good for a great many people. Perhaps the NFL players should take a lesson from the Hamels on how to improve the lives of others.

Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Hamels for a very gracious gift.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I saw this story on the local news and the place looked unbelievable. It got me wondering how a charity can pay the taxes on a place like that let alone the upkeep. Table Rock lake is awesome!
I don't know about MO, but in CA, a nonprofit that owns and uses a property for charitable purposes consistent with its mission can apply for an exemption to the property tax.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Not only does his family do a lot of good for the local people, his wife (and him I assume) are HUGE animal advocates. When he was in philly they attended many spica events, donated time/money/stuff to auction. Total class act family all around.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we had more people like this, helping the truly needy, and fewer wasteful government welfare programs?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post