SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon man sues Dick's, Walmart over gun policies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon man sues Dick's, Walmart over gun policies Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Dicks and Walmart chose to make a big show about their policy change, and now its going to bite them in ass. And I'm ok with this.

They could've quietly made this change, or taken the weapons off the shelf altogether, but they didn't. They shouldn't get to have it both ways.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
If the headlines read 'Walmart refuses to sell birth control to people under 21', the left would explode.

Try being 18 and wanting to buy 100 boxes of OTC Sudafed.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We all know there are no two way streets in Liberalville. They want to force us to bake their gay cakes, and eat them too.

I'm very consistent in my support of private property rights and that a business owner should indeed have the right to do business with whomever they want. But we're not in my world, we're in Liberalville.

So what's good for the goose and all.......

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I cringed this morning when I heard the teaser for the story on the radio. Can someone explain to me how this is a good thing?

These are private businesses run by private corporations. Do they not have the right to set their own policies or to do business with whom they please?

Or does that right only apply if they're bakers who don't want to provide material support to the celebration of a gay wedding? Or perhaps employers who terminate employees whose vehicles bear Obama or Hillary stickers?

Now, I understand from what I heard this morning (if it was being reported correctly) that Oregon has a particular state law that prohibits any kind of age discrimination, such that this gentleman's case is likely covered. In states which have no similar laws, however, why should the courts step in and create them? Are we really prepared to argue that judicial activism is a good thing as long as it works in a direction we perceive as a good one?

Serious question, and as always, I'm willing to be convinced that I'm wrong.

-Rob

Rob,

It is age discrimination.

Imagine you are 70 years old and want to buy a firearm but yet denied because you are "too old" even though the law states otherwise.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I haven't spent a dime in Dick's Sporting Goods after they pulled the same crap due to Sandy Hook. They have the right to sell or not sell whatever they want but I have the right to spend my money anyplace but there.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The instant I heard about the new raised age I thought this was a rather viable age discrimination case.

The state says he only needs to be 18 but they won't sell to him for just one reason - his age.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Rob,

[facepalm]

Yes. Thank you. Of course it's age discrimination. By definition, it's age discrimination. That doesn't necessarily make it illegal age discrimination.

For example, it's perfectly legal under Federal law to discriminate against someone in an employment context based on age if they're 39 years old. That's because the Federal age discrimination laws only protect those 40 years old and above. There may or may not be state laws that provide a broader age range.

I was opining that in cases where there is no law (Federal or State) that covers refusal to sell goods or merchandise to 18-21 year olds in terms of prohibitions against age discrimination, it's not a good idea to encourage judicial activism just because we happen to wish there were a law in this particular case.

quote:
Imagine you are 70 years old and want to buy a firearm but yet denied because you are "too old" even though the law states otherwise.

If the law states otherwise (which it doesn't in terms of Federal law, but may or may not depending on state law), then that would be illegal age discrimination, which is not at all what I was talking about.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Rob,

[facepalm]

Yes. Thank you. Of course it's age discrimination. By definition, it's age discrimination. That doesn't necessarily make it illegal age discrimination.

For example, it's perfectly legal under Federal law to discriminate against someone in an employment context based on age if they're 39 years old. That's because the Federal age discrimination laws only protect those 40 years old and above. There may or may not be state laws that provide a broader age range.

I was opining that in cases where there is no law (Federal or State) that covers refusal to sell goods or merchandise to 18-21 year olds in terms of prohibitions against age discrimination, it's not a good idea to encourage judicial activism just because we happen to wish there were a law in this particular case.

quote:

If the law states otherwise (which it doesn't in terms of Federal law, but may or may not depending on state law), then that would be illegal age discrimination, which is not at all what I was talking about.

-Rob

It is about reverse age discrimination, no facepalm required.

As it applies to OR, refer to the following (Oregon specifically addresses this suit (if I am reading it correctly)):

Public Accommodation Laws

Or. Rev. Stat. §659A.400

quote:

(1)
A place of public accommodation, subject to the exclusions in subsection (2) of this section, means:

(a)
Any place or service offering to the public accommodations, advantages, facilities or privileges whether in the nature of goods, services, lodgings, amusements, transportation or otherwise.

(b)
Any place that is open to the public and owned or maintained by a public body, as defined in ORS 174.109 ("Public body" defined), regardless of whether the place is commercial in nature.

(c)
Any service to the public that is provided by a public body, as defined in ORS 174.109 ("Public body" defined), regardless of whether the service is commercial in nature.

(2)
A place of public accommodation does not include:

(a)
A Department of Corrections institution as defined in ORS 421.005 (Definitions).

(b)
A state hospital as defined in ORS 162.135 (Definitions for ORS 162.135 to 162.205).

(c)
A youth correction facility as defined in ORS 420.005 (Definitions).

(d)
A local correction facility or lockup as defined in ORS 169.005 (Definitions for ORS 169.005 to 169.677 and 169.730 to 169.800).

(e)
An institution, bona fide club or place of accommodation that is in its nature distinctly private. [Formerly 30.675; 2013 c.429 §1; 2013 c.530 §4]

Or. Rev. Stat. §659A.403

quote:

(1)
Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, all persons within the jurisdiction of this state are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of any place of public accommodation, without any distinction, discrimination or restriction on account of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or age if the individual is of age, as described in this section, or older.

(2)
Subsection (1) of this section does not prohibit:

(a)
The enforcement of laws governing the consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors and the frequenting by minors of places of public accommodation where alcoholic beverages are served;

(b)
The enforcement of laws governing the use of marijuana items, as defined in ORS 475B.015 (Definitions for ORS 475B.010 to 475B.395), by persons under 21 years of age and the frequenting by persons under 21 years of age of places of public accommodation where marijuana items are sold; or

(c)
The offering of special rates or services to persons 50 years of age or older.

(3)
It is an unlawful practice for any person to deny full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of any place of public accommodation in violation of this section. [Formerly 30.670; 2003 c.521 §1; 2005 c.131 §1; 2007 c.100 §5; 2015 c.614 §27]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the analogy to the "Gay Cake" rulings, one Liberal pointed out that 18-21 year olds aren't a "protected class" like gays and racial minorities are.

To which I responded that the whole premise of America is that we are ALL a protected class when it comes to "rights".

It clearly demonstrates how Liberals really believe that "protected classes" have rights that we don't have.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
In states which have no similar laws, however, why should the courts step in and create them? Are we really prepared to argue that judicial activism is a good thing as long as it works in a direction we perceive as a good one?

I am with you. We can't cry about legislating from the bench if we approve of it when the "legislating" goes our way.

(I do understand this is different under the Oregon statute.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The law is that anyone under 18 cannot buy a long gun. That is not the same as making it a positive right to buy a long gun at 18.

Those who think that the firearms purchase restriction creates a right to buy a gun at 18 are forgetting how the statute is structured.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm with Burton and Jhe on this. I don't know about Oregon law, but if we're using Fed law, this case needs to be shot down asap.

Note, Burton, jhe and myself in a former life are/were lawyers. This is the "gay cake" case in different clothes.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I realize we're talking about state law vs. store policy and the store isn't denying their right, just the opportunity to buy it from them. But the discussion about positive law vs limiting law(I don't know what you call it) makes me consider the discussion of raising the age from 18 to 21.

Then what is the difference between:

1) No one under the age of 18 and 2) No one under the age of 21? One's a minor, one's not. Taking it to silliness, what about "under the age of 30"? I'm sure there's a statistic out there with age breakdowns to back a law to make the minimum age 30. One could argue that's a reasonable restriction.

This is all swirling around my head and not sure if I'm getting my question right.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Isn't the plaintiff bringing this case in regards to Oregon law? Why are we getting all bent out of shape talking about federal law and judicial activism? This case seems like a slam dunk in Oregon.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Are you guys talking about gay cake case in Colorado or gay cake case in Oregon? There are two different cases.

Seems to me regarding Oregon only under Oregon State law a precedent has been set? By the Oregon gay cake case No? Reading the link below.

https://www.nbcnews.com/featur...-gay-wedding-n833321

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"Dear Box O Truth,

Please conduct a trial wherein you shoot a gay cake from Oregon and a gay cake from Colorado ( side by side or top and bottom) with an America's Rifle purchased from Dick's by a legal customer under 21 prior to recent events.

Your friend and long time fan,

RichardC "

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the ACLU will be jumping on this promptly. Just like they do every real or perceived discrimination case. Right?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cringed this morning when I heard the teaser for the story on the radio. Can someone explain to me how this is a good thing?

It violates a CONSTITUTIONAL right and state law. It is the Courts job to sort this matter out and make a determination if their policy is indeed valid under U.S. and Oregon law.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:

It violates a CONSTITUTIONAL right and state law. It is the Courts job to sort this matter out and make a determination if their policy is indeed valid under U.S. and Oregon law.

It certainly seems to violate state law, but it likely isn't in any way a violation of the Constitution which as far as I understand it puts in place limitations on the government, not a corporation. I mean, it's not unconstitutional for a private individual (or business) to not sell you something. You can't force someone to do something for the sake of your rights, right?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Correct. There is no violation of constitutional rights in the Oregon case.

I'm not sure why people continue to believe that someone's rights arising from the US Constitution are violated when Dick's or Wal-mart refuses to sell a rifle to an 18 year old.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post