SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon man sues Dick's, Walmart over gun policies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon man sues Dick's, Walmart over gun policies Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A 20-year-old man in southern Oregon has filed a lawsuit against Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart after he says they refused to sell him a rifle.

The Oregonian/OregonLive reports Tyler Watson's lawsuit filed Monday claims he faced age discrimination when he tried to buy a rifle in February at a store owned by Dick's in Medford.

Watson says he was also refused when he attempted to buy a gun at the Grants Pass Walmart.

Dick's and Walmart restricted gun sales in the wake of the Feb. 14 Florida high school massacre. The lawsuit is believed to be the first filed over the new gun policies.

Oregon law allows residents to buy shotguns or rifles starting at age 18.

Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove told The Oregonian/OregonLive that the retailer will defend its new policy. A representative from Dick's hasn't responded to a request for comment.

http://www.koin.com/news/orego...olicies-1/1011679335

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
He should crowdsource his legal fund.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
I’m glad this didn’t take too long. Will be interesting how it plays out.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping this spreads like a wildfire.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I cringed this morning when I heard the teaser for the story on the radio. Can someone explain to me how this is a good thing?

These are private businesses run by private corporations. Do they not have the right to set their own policies or to do business with whom they please?

Or does that right only apply if they're bakers who don't want to provide material support to the celebration of a gay wedding? Or perhaps employers who terminate employees whose vehicles bear Obama or Hillary stickers?

Now, I understand from what I heard this morning (if it was being reported correctly) that Oregon has a particular state law that prohibits any kind of age discrimination, such that this gentleman's case is likely covered. In states which have no similar laws, however, why should the courts step in and create them? Are we really prepared to argue that judicial activism is a good thing as long as it works in a direction we perceive as a good one?

Serious question, and as always, I'm willing to be convinced that I'm wrong.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Rob:

I think that the difference is one of superseding rights. The First Amendment trumps anti-discrimination laws. The baker's case is built on the fact the he can not "create" to celebrate a gay wedding because that act would violate his religious beliefs. He offered to sell the couple a cake off the shelf. So the act in question isn't a sale, it's an act of creativity.

In this case, there is no religious or other claim by the merchant that they are not able to comply with the law for a legally valid reason. They simply have a store policy that discriminates on the basis of age. And, as you note, it appears that the case is brought under an Oregon age discrimination law, not a federal law, and the cases seem to be filed in state court.

I'm not saying I agree with either the position of the merchants or of the activist purchaser, but I think you can reasonably distinguish these cases from the baker's case.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are a private business and set a policy of not selling to blacks, have you violated the law? It's the same thing. Dicks can stop selling the guns, or comply with the law. You can't set arbitrary standards.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are private businesses run by private corporations. Do they not have the right to set their own policies or to do business with whom they please?

Unless their policies are discriminatory. State law says he can buy a gun. Their store policies are in violation of state law. Seems simple enough.

The left pulls this crap all of the time. It's good to give them a dose of their own medicine.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The left pulls this crap all of the time. It's good to give them a dose of their own medicine.

+1. Good to see our side using the court system offensively for a change.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Did anyone read my whole post? (Except for ArtieS, and yes, these examples are clearly distinguishable, but I don't believe the baker should have to rely on 1st amendment protections to prevail, so I wasn't looking at it from that angle.)

If there's a state law that covers this kind of age discrimination (federal law does not), fine. It sounds like that's the case in Oregon and that's not what I'm talking about.

Obviously, there are federal and state laws that cover discrimination based on race, and to a slightly lesser degree, gender. This isn't what I'm talking about.

Fredward - you can absolutely set arbitrary (and even capricious) standards as to whom you will do business with as long as you're not discriminating against a legally protected class.

Big Bore, Chuck Perry, etc. - You guys scare me a little. I get the emotional reaction, but judicial activism is either good, or it's not. If that's what we're talking about, is that really what you're advocating for? It can't be good government when you're winning and bad government when the other guy is winning. Do you not think it's a much better policy to let the legislature do the legislating (within the confines of the authority granted them by the federal and state constitutions, respectively, lest I be misunderstood)?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
State law already set the age limit - I don't think they can override that.

I wouldn't doubt that the dicks at Dick's, Walmart, etc., already knew that, but went ahead anyway for the publicity.

Lawsuits like this will keep the issue in the news, and when they get shot down by the courts, then the libs will be crying for the laws themselves to be changed.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to take away a private business' right to refuse service to anyone for mostly any reason, but the issue I see with what places like Walmart and Dick's are doing is that they are not refusing to sell to individuals on a case by case basis but to a whole group of people outright based on age.

It'll be interesting to see how this case proceeds. I wouldn't be surprised though if some of these states change their laws before this ever even goes to court.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
BurtonRW, if there's no law on the books a judge can't enforce what's not there. If a judge makes a ruling without any law on the books, any new laws that address the issue will render his ruling moot moving forward. That's the way I understand it anyways.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
He should crowdsource his legal fund.

There is no mention of it in the article but I am guessing the legal fund is being paid for or done probono.

quote:
Can someone explain to me how this is a good thing?

Private businesses should be able to choose whom they do business with but are hindered in multiple ways by different laws.
The positive, maybe these big companies will lobby harder to the states and they will begin to repeal these discrimination laws?? Maybe?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StayFrosty:
BurtonRW, if there's no law on the books a judge can't enforce what's not there. If a judge makes a ruling without any law on the books, any new laws that address the issue will render his ruling moot moving forward. That's the way I understand it anyways.

Welcome to the forum.

You're essentially correct, and that's my point. If there's no particular state law protecting 18-20 year old individuals from this particular kind of consumer age discrimination, then there's nothing a judge can do to force a business to engage in commerce with them unless said judge engages in outright judicial activism, which is what some here seem to be advocating and what I find particularly disturbing.

Black - exactly. This is a situation where the left's own anti-discrimination policies (see Oregon re: age) may turn around and bite them in the ass. That will be thoroughly amusing.

-Rob

A=A

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
If the headlines read 'Walmart refuses to sell birth control to people under 21', the left would explode.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
If the headlines read 'Walmart refuses to sell birth control to people under 21', the left would explode.

Solid analogy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there's no particular state law protecting 18-20 year old individuals from this particular kind of consumer age discrimination, then there's nothing a judge can do to force a business to engage in commerce with them unless said judge engages in outright judicial activism

I agree with BurtonRW.

Besides the legal issue, I believe in private property. I generally support the idea that business owners, not judges, should decide who a business will accept as a customer. As a matter of principle, I believe in voluntary transactions, entered into freely, without coercion on either side.

Economically speaking, they are only hurting themselves, but let them. If it's legal to sell to an 18-20 year old, someone else will make that sale and benefit.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I have learned something again. Federal law has no age discrimination except for employment situations for people over 40. States may vary. As far as judicial activism goes, the right has been fighting it since the Warren court without success, as the left establishes "laws" thru precedent (i.e. abortion.) If we cannot eliminate the bad, use it for good.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
By the way....not that it matters here, but...

Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution states: “The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power.”

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post