SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice for new Wifi Router
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice for new Wifi Router Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Multiple AP's is what we use in businesses and high end homes.

This is my setup, as well. I tried an Ubiquiti, but did not like the fact that you had to run a controller for it. I now use 2 EnGenius AP's, both cabled directly to the main network switch. One is in the "great room", center of the house and mounted up about 10 feet on the wall. This provides good coverage anywhere in the house. I also have an outdoor model for the RV pad (we had conduit run out there when the house was built, about a 225 ft run). I retired my AEBS to AP-only use and put it on the wall next to my computer work area.

As smschulz mentions, hard-wired AP's are the way to go, providing no loss like that experienced with retransmitting the Wi-Fi signal with an "extender", which shares the radio signal. Each hard-wired AP has its own channel while still using the same SSID. Run cable to each AP if it is at all physically possible.

And while an ethernet run is limited to 100 meters, you can extend that by inserting a switch in the run.

And just one more point to note. If you're a do-it-yourselfer and can run the required CAT cable for a WAP, you can get as good if not better WiFi coverage than you would with a MESH setup for less coin. A TP Link WAP runs around $70, and the CAT cable and bits are cheap too. So....less than $100 for a WAP, or ~$300 for MESH. Easy decision for me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post