SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Owners of Mount Dora house painted like van Gogh's 'Starry Night' masterpiece fined $3,100 - No Homeowner's Association involved
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owners of Mount Dora house painted like van Gogh's 'Starry Night' masterpiece fined $3,100 - No Homeowner's Association involved Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
I agree to the extent that the city codes allow it. If the code allowed parking cars on lawns then so be it and I live with it but in this case it's strictly prohibited. Same with letting the weeds getting 3 feet tall and dying.

All of the example I mentioned are already prohibited by city code a ling time ago and consistently enforced so it's isn't a surprise to anyone.

In the case mentioned in the original post, it's about a house that is well kept, but they decided to paint it like Starry Night.

The law defines graffiti as painting or markings made on personal property, without the consent of the owner.

So by definition the painting is not graffiti, so how can you support the magistrate's decision?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. I am not an art history major, but I don't recall this bit (from the house, per the article) being in Van Gogh's work.

I'm not an art history major either, but I believe that's supposed to be Van Gogh himself. Notice he's holding a paint brush. Wink

quote:
Not relevant.

Mount Dora is not in Broward county.

Sure it is. I'll explain why. Mount Dora does not define what the word means. Others do. When it comes down to a gray area, justice is supposed to hear arguments of facts, and definitions of words are important.

But you're right. It's not relevant in this case because the Magistrate already agreed with me (and Broward County).

He said it is not "Grafitti", that it is a "Sign". Now we need to argue the definition of "signs".

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Not relevant.

Mount Dora is not in Broward county.
quote:
Sure it is. I'll explain why. Mount Dora does not define what the word means.
Where did I say that Mount Dora defines the word?

On the other hand, I believe that you said Broward county defines the word. Roll Eyes

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I think it must be an upbringing thing. I was always taught to respect other people's rights and property. I would never even consider calling a government authority unless someone was directly infringing on my own property. It wouldn't even cross my mind, that's why I said it's mind boggling in my original post. I can't wrap my brain around being concerned about how my neighbor down the street decides to paint his house, or whether he wants to park an RV in his yard or in front of his house. It would never even cross my mind to go express my opinion to him or call somebody and tattletale trying to get him a ticket. It's just a totally foreign concept to me - no offense intended. Glad I don't live in an area like that!

^^^THIS^^^

I had neighbors across the street that liked to party late. Really late. I never called any enforcement on them when I can plainly hear the music, I just turned up my TV. The other option was grab a beer and go join them.
Life's too short to let stuff eat on you. Be enough of a pain to neighbors and you might end up living next to a neon pink house! Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where did I say that Mount Dora defines the word?

I’m assuming you didn’t read their ordinance at all. Had you read it you may have noticed that a key word was not defined. This is important because.....

quote:

On the other hand, I believe that you said Broward county defines the word. Roll Eyes

That is an example where they define the word in a commonly understood fashion. If you’re going to charge somebody with a crime, the crime must be defined. It’s difficult to follow the rules if they are vague.

I defined the word. Miriam Webster defines the word. Broward County defines the word. The Magistrate in Mount Dora defines the word. In every one of those examples the alleged crime did not fit the definition. That is why the Magistrate changed the charge from graffiti to signage in a residential area.

If you would spend some time reading ordinances and other laws you’ll find that everything tends to be specific and defined. They do that for a reason. Whomever is writing these things for Mount Dora is not doing the municipality or it’s residents any favors.

Even with the switch I believe the municipality is grasping at straws. I read the ordinances and did not find a single one that says what his homeowner did is a violation.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post