SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Owners of Mount Dora house painted like van Gogh's 'Starry Night' masterpiece fined $3,100 - No Homeowner's Association involved
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owners of Mount Dora house painted like van Gogh's 'Starry Night' masterpiece fined $3,100 - No Homeowner's Association involved Login/Join 
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I'm not torqued by this at all.

In the city I live in if you:

1. Park your car on your lawn I will call code enforcement.

2. Don't mow your lawn for weeks and let get weedy and then everything dies I will call code enforcement.

3. Somebody's car is parked unmoved for over a week that doesn't belong to anyone in the neighborhood I will call code enforcement.

4. Someone shows up and wants to live in their RV on the street and they aren't vacationing I will call code enforcement.

5. Park your boat on the street intending it to live there I will call code enforcement.

I'm not in an HOA and never have and never will be but if someone wants comes into the neighborhood intending to shit it up because that's how they live, plenty of people will call code enforcement.

I'm ok with this ruling especially where the painting house, while looking great to the homeowners, is likely an eyesore and blight on the surrounding houses.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
....is likely an eyesore and blight on the surrounding houses.

That is the problem isn't it? Who determines what is an eyesore and what is art?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Being who I am, I would drive them to change their laws so that a house had to be a solid color. Then I'd paint it neon pink.

After that I would drive them to outlaw neon pink paint, and paint the house white. Then I'd install neon pink flood lights.

We could go round and round and round for as long as they wanted to play their games. I think it is outrageous that any public government wishes to be this involved in our lives. Guys like me can come up with legal annoyances much faster than those types can pass laws.

Genius, pure genius.

Posts: 550 | Location: Gun Friendly Arizona | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Goddamn, I hate it when people think they own their own property! What do they think this is, a free country?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Goddamn, I hate it when people think they own their own property! What do they think this is, a free country?

Yeah -- just imagine people parking licensed, insured, drivable cars/p-u trucks on their own lawn!!! Oh the horror.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
quote:
....is likely an eyesore and blight on the surrounding houses.

That is the problem isn't it? Who determines what is an eyesore and what is art?

Why the magistrate does, gheez don't cha read? Big Grin

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Paint house white. Then project Starry Night onto it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I want to paint all the houses in my neighborhood with Frank Frazetta Mars series cover art.

Had to look it up:

This can't be correct. In Borroughs' books they were all nekked.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
Well....it is really a pretty crappy imitation of a "Van Gogh". Smile

I would consider it "grafitti" too.

Yep. I am not an art history major, but I don't recall this bit (from the house, per the article) being in Van Gogh's work.

He may have room to argue about it having artistic merit, in this day and age .... and about whether or not the city can order him to change because they don't like it.

But hiding behind Van Gogh is not valid, IMO - just having curvy, blurry dark blue paint-strokes does not turn something into "Starry Night".

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Broward county says: ...
Not relevant.

Mount Dora is not in Broward county.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

2. Don't mow your lawn for weeks and let get weedy and then everything dies I will call code enforcement.

3. Somebody's car is parked unmoved for over a week that doesn't belong to anyone in the neighborhood I will call code enforcement.

4. Someone shows up and wants to live in their RV on the street and they aren't vacationing I will call code enforcement.

5. Park your boat on the street intending it to live there I will call code enforcement.

I'm not in an HOA and never have and never will be but if someone wants comes into the neighborhood intending to shit it up because that's how they live, plenty of people will call code enforcement.

I'm ok with this ruling especially where the painting house, while looking great to the homeowners, is likely an eyesore and blight on the surrounding houses.

I'll bet the neighbors love you.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:

I would. I would buy him a beer.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:
quote:

Until he's calling code enforcement on you for something that he doesn't approve of that you're doing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all the stuff he is calling out is regular stuff. he isn't messing with his neighbors at all.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Until he's calling code enforcement on you for something that he doesn't approve of that you're doing.

So instead of letting them know they are doing something wrong, you go ahead and call code enforcement? Damn bunch of schoolmarms.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being who I am, I would drive them to change their laws so that a house had to be a solid color. Then I'd paint it neon pink.

After that I would drive them to outlaw neon pink paint, and paint the house white. Then I'd install neon pink flood lights.

We could go round and round and round for as long as they wanted to play their games. I think it is outrageous that any public government wishes to be this involved in our lives. Guys like me can come up with legal annoyances much faster than those types can pass laws.

yea buddy.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually it's not so sinister. Long time neighbors all around and it's not a problem between us. Not all. The things I my mentioned are for the few homes that are rented out where the landlord doesn't care if the monthly check is good.

Plus, code enforcement is very good about knocking on doors, and running plates to see if the owner lives in the area so they can ask them to not do wherever runs afoul of the city code such as parking on your lawn.

Tickets are the last thing so yes, the neighbors love me, I love them because we see to it that the neighborhood didn't go to shit.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I think it must be an upbringing thing. I was always taught to respect other people's rights and property. I would never even consider calling a government authority unless someone was directly infringing on my own property. It wouldn't even cross my mind, that's why I said it's mind boggling in my original post. I can't wrap my brain around being concerned about how my neighbor down the street decides to paint his house, or whether he wants to park an RV in his yard or in front of his house. It would never even cross my mind to go express my opinion to him or call somebody and tattletale trying to get him a ticket. It's just a totally foreign concept to me - no offense intended. Glad I don't live in an area like that!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I think it must be an upbringing thing. I was always taught to respect other people's rights and property. I would never even consider calling a government authority unless someone was directly infringing on my own property. It wouldn't even cross my mind, that's why I said it's mind boggling in my original post. I can't wrap my brain around being concerned about how my neighbor down the street decides to paint his house, or whether he wants to park an RV in his yard or in front of his house. It would never even cross my mind to go express my opinion to him or call somebody and tattletale trying to get him a ticket. It's just a totally foreign concept to me - no offense intended. Glad I don't live in an area like that!

I agree to the extent that the city codes allow it. If the code allowed parking cars on lawns then so be it and I live with it but in this case it's strictly prohibited. Same with letting the weeds getting 3 feet tall and dying.

All of the examples I mentioned are already prohibited by city code a long time ago and consistently enforced so it isn't a surprise to anyone.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
So instead of letting them know they are doing something wrong, you go ahead and call code enforcement? Damn bunch of schoolmarms.
It has been my experience that a polite conversation to let somebody know that they are doing something wrong, more often than not results in a comeback that is essentially, "Mind your own fucking business. I'm doing just what I want to do."

So yes, informing code enforcement, law enforcement, or other enforcement, seems to be the best option.

More than once, I have walked away when somebody wanted to escalate to a confrontation. I'm not going to willingly get into a situation where my only "out" is deadly force.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post