SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ballpark residential construction costs - Western North Carolina
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballpark residential construction costs - Western North Carolina Login/Join 
posted
We are exploring building a house in western North Carolina. It has been difficult to get a realisitic feel for ballpark construction costs. I figured that, as with most things, Sigforum has an answer.

The lot we like has a homesite cleared and levelled, that being said, additional dirt work will be necessary. Electricity is at the corner of the lot. A well will need to be drilled.

We want to build a home that is approximately 1800 sq ft single story 3br/2ba. I am not trying to build anything gold plated, but would like nice finishes like tiled bathrooms, stone counters, hardwood floors, quality doors and windows, etc. What i would describe as above builder quality, but not custom home level.

Am i looking at $100 sq ft? $150? $200?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on three items-
How deep the well goes
How close the electric is
How far away your construction crew is.

If you want to talk offline, my email is in my profile, if you give me a zip code can narrow it down more.

Site work can add $8-20K depending on how much fill is needed, and if the lot has been properly compacted.

A Slab and crawlspace require the essentially the same cost, but if there is a basement, they typically add $20K.

The father you get away from Asheville, this more the price will go up, and they is because most crews are based there, and they start charging the minute they leave their driveways.

If you are building from Hendersonville to Weaverville, or Black Mountain to Canton (target sized area) expect $160-180 per square foot for everything above the ground floor. A friend of mine had a lot he was looting to build on with power 600 yards away from his lot, and to run 200 amp service to his proposed home it was going to be $16,000. He ended up selling the lot, and suing the developer (lot was sold as ready to build, electrical "on site").

Now, I have seen a number of building using pre-fab modules, with minimum work on the site, and get it done for $90 a square foot, but they tend to be minimalist.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My parents live in Macon County NC...their home was built about a decade ago and costs was about $90/sq ft.

They had the home built in prefab sections, the sections were swung in by crane. He had to have a roof installed onsite. But it took a week before it was done. Of course they already had piers and basement poured.

They had six inch a walls and more insulation than code.

Dad did the low level septic himself(it’s what he does for a living)

Well is 300 ft drilled, was around 8k

They have tile in each bathroom, three bedrooms, they have since added another room for moms sewing junk. The interior is textured drywall, windows are all two layer glass. Very well built.

He came in 20k less than if it was stick built on site.

The first house we built in the mountains was two story, stick built and getting the framing crews and subs was like pulling teeth. No one wanted to work...but it was 1985... things have gotten a little better.

I can call him and see if he can go over the questions you may have that reflect MaconCounty issues

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the info.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I really depends on how nice you want things. Are we talking GE Profile appliances or Viking appliances? Full blown custom cabinets or nice off the rack ones? Or cheap ones?

Obviously you know that already. I would say a number like $185-190 a sq ft would be a good range for a rough budget. That should get you nice finishes without going crazy.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
$160-180 per square foot

quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
$185-190 a sq ft

Dang. This thread makes me extra thankful for the low housing prices in NW Arkansas.

New construction on the upper-middle end of the spectrum (as in nice - with brick, tile, granite, hardwood, etc. - but not ultra-fancy millionaire level) is around $130 per square foot. And that includes the cost of the land.

I'm about to close in 18 days on a very nice new 1800 square foot 3 bed/2 bath on a quarter acre in that quality level for $124/ft, but that was a better than average deal.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
It's just so hard to determine what finishes someone will want. The house I built 12 years ago was $125 sq ft with the lot included (my current home). Houses like that are now somewhere around that range still; up a little but not a ton.

The house I'm breaking ground on this fall is over $200 sq ft without the lot. I'm the same guy, just building a nicer home as I've gotten older. It's impossible to really say what someone will want, so I shot on the higher end for a budget number. Also, bathrooms and kitchens tend to be expensive, so when a house is on the smaller side of sq footage, I usually bump the $/sq ft up a little.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Do a barndo instead. Less maintenance and cheaper to build.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regrettably, construction costs are going to be prohibitively expensive for us to make this work. Thanks for the info and input everyone.

posted Hide Post
Ironically, a friend and I were eating at a small town local restaurant last Friday. A local builder came by and was discussing current construction jobs he had underway. He stated a low side of $135.00 per foot for “modest” construction. He had one currently going at over $200.00 per foot.

Also stated that construction materials were not readily available all the time & some types were even difficult to obtain, period. Treated lumber, etc. Best of luck with your plans.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have been a custom builder in western VA for over 37 years. Most of the homes we built (excluding the lot cost) were in the $200 to $250 PSF range.

Having said that my son bought a nicely renovated 2200 SF house in an upscale community in Pinehurst for just under $300K. Most homes in that part of NC are on a crawl space which is considerably cheaper than what I used to build so if your lot and plan is like that I would say $150 to $175 would be a general guideline.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. My email is in my profile.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
We are exploring building a house in western North Carolina. It has been difficult to get a realisitic feel for ballpark construction costs.....

....Am i looking at $100 sq ft? $150? $200?

Any assistance is appreciated.

$200 per sq ft is would be what I would budget today.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7084 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post