SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do I need impact sockets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need impact sockets Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Impact sockets.

As to the "torque sticks"... they will NOT protect from over tightening the lugs when used with a battery operated impact tool.

They work great with the 12v car 'wind up and hit' impacts. Just let it wind up and keep going until the nut quits turning and it should be GTG. However, I would test this process with your particular impact. But it worked great with the old/cheap one I had.

When using the torque sticks with an air impact, one must adjust the air pressure for the impact to achieve the correct specs.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Seriously! You can get hurt, and hurt badly, when a chrome hand socket shatters when used on an impact gun. Don't do it.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
You might need a 3/4 inch drive ratchet set! I bought a Craftsman Set probably around 95 or 6. Uray once in a while I have to break it out. Freaks out the casual observer! Don't need an impact wrench for these!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
It's kind of wild that to get reasonably priced US made decent quality sockets you have to go through the Chinese import king of stores.

I've picked up several Pittsburgh hand tools to replace my Craftsmen tools when they finally give up. I've yet to be disappointed.

????????
Pittsburgh tools are made in China and Taiwan I do believe.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In 40 years of working with tools, I have had one socket break apart with an impact gun, and it was an impact socket. You can, however, crack a non-impact socket, but usually not right away. Having said that, all my ½" drive sockets, except for certain special uses (example, thin wall for some differential pinion nuts) are impact.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should have impact sockets working with an impact wrench with that torque.

I bought a set of Harbor Freight impact sockets 10 years ago, they seemed strong enough and I didn't have any issues with them other than they were thicker than other brands (so might have issues getting in really tight spots with them IE wheels).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with Harbor Tools impact sockets.

I knocked the front main pulley off the truck changing the timing belt and removed the transmission for the clutch job without any problems and the cross member was on really tight.

Knocked off many heads with them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Of course you do! Everyone needs impact sockets.

I have the Harbor Freight ones and they have been great. I took an old rusted bush hog apart with them. They survived a 750 ft.lb. impact wrench, and when that didn't do it, they survived my 30 year old, 6 foot tall 220 pound neighbor and a 24 inch breaker bar. They are damned tough tools.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post