SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do I need impact sockets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need impact sockets Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
I Just added a 1/2 inch impact to my Milwaukee M-18 Fuel tool collection.
Grunt grunt grunt!!

It is rated 700 ft-lbs of maximum fastening torque, up to 1,100 ft-lbs of removal force.

This is my first heavy impact driver (not counting my little 1/4 inch one) so a couple questions...
Will this break or strip my 50 year old Craftsman or my newish Husky sockets?
Use will be quite varied overall, but will primarily be rotating the tires on 4 vehicles and removing commercial ZTR mower blades.

Are the Harbor Freight impact socket up to DIY work or do I need to look for better?
I was thinking I might need some thin-wall ones for some of the lug nuts I need to remove.

And what about those torque stick things for lug nuts, GTG? or better off sticking to a manual torque wrench?
Thanks!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've never destroyed a Harbor Tools impact socket.
I have stripped the impact TORX sockets though.
But that's why I buy them.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Word I have is impact wrenches can shatter non-impact sockets. It's the impulse force that does it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I always but impact sockets. While I do use air from time to time, I'd rather use them w/o air, than use a non-impact socket with air. I find the price difference not that substantial.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have broken a Husky impact socket. With a torque wrench, even.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you got the M18 Fuel wrench, that's a beast. Congrats. Yes, you need impact sockets, and the Pittsburg line from HF is just fine. Do not endanger your old Craftsman sockets. There is no such thing as a lifetime warranty for a quality USA Craftsman socket when the replacement comes from China.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
And what about those torque stick things for lug nuts, GTG? or better off sticking to a manual torque wrench?
Thanks!

I have worked in shops that had both, but I always used a good quality, calibrated/certified torque wrench. Maybe I'm old school, but I liked knowing for sure what torque was applied, and it was a final act of quality control; X lug nuts, got X clicks, before leaving. Never, ever had a comeback.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I'll give em a look at the Harbor...

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Pittsburgh Impacts Sockets from Harbor Freight for years now with excellent results.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
All the impact sockets I have are Proto and have never failed. The only bad thing is I can't use them to take off my rims. I use my normal craftsman socket with no problem.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Pittsburg at Harbor Freight. I have that same impact and the Pittsburg have held up well on some serious jobs around the farm. Old dump truck, tractors, loader. The only reason I would recommend buying something better would be if you are a tech, purchase from one of the big 3.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
You may have to buy a higher priced impact socket to get a thinner one if the Pittsburg ones are too thick walled for a specific application, but that is the only reason I can see needing a higher priced impact socket. We've used Pittsburg (Harbor Freight) impact sockets on the ranch for years, sometimes on a breaker bar with a BIG cheater bar when the impact gun didn't seem to be getting it. Stuff like changing the cutting edges on the dozen. Never managed to break one, even with this level of abuse.

There are many tools where Harbor Freight would not be my first choice. Impact sockets is not one of them.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I own a tool company. For casual home use the harbor freight impact sockets are pretty good and an excellent value for their price. If you are using them all the time with a quality impact wrench like an IR or similar you want a quality set of impacts. When they let go it can be easy and painless or an ugly process. BTW the cheap impacts rarely come close to their advertised torque specs. My guys rebuild torque wrenches big and small all day long. They would quickly destroy a set of HF. Protos are good, snapon, IR all make good impact sockets.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
You do need impact sockets.

I have yet to break one of my Harbor Freight impact sockets.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My little 12v Milwaukee impact driver twists non inpact/Milwaukee Shockwave 1/4" bit adapters. I've tried non impact sockets with it and over time they hog our the 1/4" drive hole.

That said, the 18v will destroy regular sockets. Bite the bullet and get impact sockets.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Pittsburg Pro impact sockets are excellent, and affordable at Harbor Freight.

Torque sticks are garbage.

Buy a tire impact flip socket set. I have a similar set to these and I use them all the time, for years, and love them.
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-0...keywords=thin+impact

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-...eywords=flip+sockets

Pro-Tip : these 24 inch breaker bars are tough as nails and a steal at $18. I keep one in every car, as well as the correct sized socket. It's MUCH easier to change a tire with a proper breaker bar. The plus side is that this a one time expense. You can keep this breaker bar in your cars trunk for the rest of your life, and you will be glad it's there every time you change a tire.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-...YYEF65BQ9S6WAN84HFCT

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
It's kind of wild that to get reasonably priced US made decent quality sockets you have to go through the Chinese import king of stores.

I've picked up several Pittsburgh hand tools to replace my Craftsmen tools when they finally give up. I've yet to be disappointed.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Thanks!

For lug nuts, I prefer to use a socket and breaker bar to break them loose, then I can use a 3/8" battery impact tool to spin them off. Same thing in reverse, spin them on with the 3/8" battery impact tool, it will never over-torque them. Then come back and torque to specs with a torque wrench.

Use the battery powered tool for "spinning" only.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Snap-on Technical Reference: Impact vs. Chrome Sockets

Chrome hand sockets and impact sockets have differences that are a lot more than skin deep. Each is designed and manufactured with specific applications in mind, and they are built to handle that job only. The user must be careful not to use a chrome hand socket on an impact gun.

The impact socket has thick walls and is finished in a black phosphate or black oxide finish. The design is also distinct as impact sockets have a cross hole in the handle end for use with a retaining pin and ring or locking pin anvil to allow the socket to be securely attached to the square drive of an impact gun.

Power sockets, designed for use with power nut runners, multi-spindle machines and angle head nut drivers, may cause some confusion since they are offered in a black finish. But, they are stamped “WARNING: NON-IMPACT.” Power sockets are heat treated to a higher hardness than either impact or hand sockets. This high hardness, combined with thick socket walls, produces a strong, wear resistant socket. This socket is ideal for assembly-line work where it is not subjected to high-impact loads.

Hand sockets have a thin wall which allows for clearance in general applications where hand torquing is used. Hand sockets, except for those intended for industrial use, are chrome plated. Although hand sockets and power sockets can fit the impact wrench, they are not the same and must not be used on impact tools.

One difference you can’t see between these two different types of sockets has to do with the way each has been heat treated and/or the composition of the metal used. The impact socket made out of medium carbon alloy steel is heat treated to a low hardness range which has been optimized for impact use. This means that under heavy, continuous use, an impact socket will withstand the impact blows and will wear rather than break.

Hand sockets are made of medium carbon alloy steel heat treated to a hardness range commensurate with their size and configuration. Hand sockets are heat treated to a comparatively higher hardness for high strength and more wear resistance than impact sockets. But, they are made to sustain hand applied torque applications only. In other words, they are not designed for use on impact guns, and should never be used on them.

Using only impact sockets on impact wrenches reduces the risk of injury, delays and damaged work. It’s relatively easy to spot a hand socket that’s been misused on an impact wrench. Check the square drive end for signs of damage and distortion. Cracks and other damage will often appear around the wrench end as well. Breakage due to impact use is considered misuse and not through any fault of the hand socket itself.

If the right socket for the job isn’t available, the job can be delayed and tools can be damaged. Improperly using hand sockets on impact tools may be hazardous as they may crack. By knowing the difference between the various types of sockets and using them appropriately, you will be able to ensure a safer and more efficient work environment.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Great info all, thanks!