SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best apple for frying?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best apple for frying? Login/Join 
posted
I made some fried apples recently. I have always sliced Red Delicious apples, put cinnamon and sugar on them, let them sit for a while and then fried them. I was curious if anyone here had any strong opinions on what was the best type apple for frying?

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A tart apple would be good to offset the cinnamon and sugar. I would go with granny smith or fuji. Red delicious would be one of my last choices since it's a sweet apple.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
A tart apple would be good to offset the cinnamon and sugar. I would go with granny smith or fuji. Red delicious would be one of my last choices since it's a sweet apple.

I agree with this. I'd go with the Granny Smith.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Seems like this would be useful here. Close enough for some insight given its discussion on textures following cooking.

Best Apples for Pie

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Mcintosh. That's the type that cracker barrel uses.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Another fan of Granny Smith.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I've been watching the great chef series on Amazon Prime and they often single out granny smith apples when they're cooking up their entree, appetizer, or desert.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
My favorite all purpose apple is one that is seldom seen in grocery stores. Winesap, particularly Staymen Winesap are great for most anything. Mildly tart and firm fleshed, excellent keeper and wonderful flavor.

eat bake or fry, can cook or stew
not a thing this apple can't do Smile

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post