SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:His wife doesn't have a D/L?

They have no car and no licenses. She's almost 21 and he's 26. They both got their temporary licenses when they got to Fort Bragg. They're planning on getting around to it eventually.

Once this is all over, I'm going to make sure they get them and a car.
Wow, that sucks. Next time I'd recommend the Greyhound bus.

for most of the millennials and beyond, Uber is the choice that replaces any need to own a vehicle. Additionally, I wonder how driverless cars would fare in chaos?

Some might start revisiting those choices after the post mortem of this event.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I wonder how the 20+ story high rise buildings in Miami Beach will fare in 120 mph winds.

Those buildings are often some of the safer ones. Solidly build with steel and cement. Stay on the first floor or two where they may be flooding and away from windows where the wind is coming from.

It's not the finished buildings I would worry about. It's the ones under constructions - there's some 25 cranes attached to high-rise buildings under construction. I don't know what will happen to them in 150MpH winds.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
The media has really been putting their best acts forwards here in Miami locally. They're really doubling down with this storm as it approaches. In fact, their faces seemed a little disappointed that the storm has most recently been downgraded to 155mph this morning, ...

I can believe it. "Entertainment-billed-as-news," I call it.

ABC "news" every night has been leading with "BREAKING NEWS," then going on about mere updates to what they'd covered the night before. Free clue, entertainers: If it's an update to something about which everybody already knows, it's not "breaking news." It's just a news update. Or, in your cases, entertainment updates.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
We have enough canned soup to last us a few days. Wife asked me, "how are we going to heat it up?" Roll Eyes

I told her to stop watching the news because it's all hysteria, it's bullshit. I said I'd rather trust the neighbors and other locals who have been through this before, the people who have lived here for 20+ years.

We probably have about 30 houses in this subdivision. Only about 3 or 4 have boarded up their windows.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
If this is an historic storm past experiences might not reflect the reality on the ground.
The hysteria being whipped up by the news media does not match reality, either.

Calling this storm "historic" is, at this point, silly and wishful thinking on the part of those who benefit from the hysteria.

Anyone ever hear of Hurricane Andrew? This storm may very well be worse than Andrew, but we do not yet know what will happen.

The Hurricane Tracker App posted this pic comparing Andrew to Irma:

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

latest NOAA track forecast is very similar to the NOAA track from yesterday evening

Arrival times a few hours later

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Is the media reporting that Irma is full of sharks yet?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Is the media reporting that Irma is full of sharks yet?

Already happening last night!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
for most of the millennials and beyond, Uber is the choice that replaces any need to own a vehicle. Additionally, I wonder how driverless cars would fare in chaos?

Some might start revisiting those choices after the post mortem of this event.

Can you imagine evacuating with an electric car?

I'm glad I got a long bed with a 37 gallon tank. The 26 gallon tank in the short bed would have come with would have been problematic. I believe all the new Super Duty trucks come with a 48 gallon tank.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Apart from the sensationalized media coverage, add Hollywood buffoonery to the mix.

Hurricanes Irma, Harvey are nature's 'wrath' for Trump victory, Jennifer Lawrence claims

http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...r-trump-victory.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

Which app are you talking about? there are so many good ones. That comparison image is awesome!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Apart from the sensationalized media coverage, add Hollywood buffoonery to the mix.

Hurricanes Irma, Harvey are nature's 'wrath' for Trump victory, Jennifer Lawrence claims

Link's broken, but this one's not: BREAKING: Jennifer Lawrence Blames Trump Voters For Hurricanes Harvey And Irma!

Keep it up, Hollyweirdos. Expose yourselves for the weak-minded idiots you are Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

Which app are you talking about? there are so many good ones. That comparison image is awesome!

https://images1.miaminewtimes....08_at_8.10.33_am.png

Here's the article
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/n...icane-andrew-9656867

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My damn wife won't stop watching the "news". She's getting a flight to go home. She said the governor said to evacuate. I'm not even going to tell her that he means the southern part of the state. We're in Orlando... Roll Eyes

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My mother-in-law lives in Orlando. She lost her husband in January. My sister-in-law moved from Dallas to Jacksonville just last month and is with her now. This is a great comfort to my wife. My mother-in-law is 80 and somewhat infirmed but is taking all of this in stride. She's lived in Florida her entire life.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:

Link's broken, but this one's not: BREAKING: Jennifer Lawrence Blames Trump Voters For Hurricanes Harvey And Irma!

Keep it up, Hollyweirdos. Expose yourselves for the weak-minded idiots you are Smile

That's it Jennifer! You just ruined any chance you had with me.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My mother-in-law lives in Orlando. She lost her husband in January. My sister-in-law moved from Dallas to Jacksonville just last month and is with her now. This is a great comfort to my wife. My mother-in-law is 80 and somewhat infirmed but is taking all of this in stride. She's lived in Florida her entire life.

My niece just moved to Orlando, as she works for The mouse she is staying at one of the resorts in the park which I thought was a pretty solid plan.
If your SIL needs anything after the storm let me know and I'll do what I can.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you, SpinZone. Your offer is appreciated.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
The media has really been putting their best acts forwards here in Miami locally. They're really doubling down with this storm as it approaches. In fact, their faces seemed a little disappointed that the storm has most recently been downgraded to 155mph this morning, but they add that hook that "Don't forget folks...it's still right on the border of a category 5, which makes it a devastating Category 4" Now, here locally they're pushing huge storm surge warnings and and massive flooding Roll Eyes Honestly in the 63yrs I've lived thru storms here in Miami, I've never heard the media scaring the folks as much as today, it definitely creates shear chaos.

Good God man, is there no other news going on anywhere in the fargin world worthy of reporting?

Every single damn time it's:

"ITS THE WORST HURRICANE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!" Eek

"GET OUT!!!" Eek

"YOU"RE GOING TO DIE!!!" Eek

OK, we got it, it's going to get wet. No shit. Really wet. No shit. It's going to be really windy. No shit. You probably shouldn't stick around for it. No shit. The stores are going to be emptied out by people who didn't prep. No shit. There's going to be gas lines. No shit.

But no, it has to be 24/7 coverage of HURRICANAGEDDON!!! with press conferences every hour on the hour for a week in advance by governors and mayors and chiefs of police and sheriffs and FEMA and the Coast Guard and the Boy Scouts and the PTA. Every reporter instantly becomes an expert on "cones of uncertainty" and "CAT"3, "CAT'4, "CAT"5, "storm surge", ...

And when it hits, what do you want to bet that every new grad "journalist" trying to make a name for himself and a few grizzled veterans trying to remain relevant, will be standing out in the rain. "And now we'll go to Jimmy in Miami." "Bob, it's really windy down here
and it's raining like a motherfucker. Now back to Bob in New York."

Hey, how about this. "Folks, we've got a big hurricane coming. Everyone knows what that means as we've had dozens of them before, so...well...we've got a big hurricane coming. In other news...".

Around these parts we've got fires. It's going to be smokey. Yep. Your house might burn down. Yep. If you need to bug out then bug out. Yep. In other news....

Just make it stop already!

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It got racism and Russia off the news for a bit so there's that. Wink

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post