SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Pompano beach, fl. I lost power at 10 pm Friday night, still without power. Had a 40' tall palm tree fall but luckily it missed everything. My sister has had a mango tree fall on her roof and broken tiles everywhere. Gas stations, grocery stores, are pretty much all closed.

Did the yachts you take care of fare well? I've seen photos of large sailboats and other vessels that seem to have stayed where they were secured.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hopefully when they install new power line poles they use concrete this time instead of wood.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe most of the HT power lines all the way down the Keys to KW are concrete, just not sure how well they are anchored. Not a criticism, just an observation. Any locals have current observations?

Posts: 913 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Over the last few years in my town, Port St Lucie, they have been busy replacing pols with concrete. In the neighborhoods they are still wood, but just about every pole not on a residential road is concrete now.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Pompano beach, fl. I lost power at 10 pm Friday night, still without power. Had a 40' tall palm tree fall but luckily it missed everything. My sister has had a mango tree fall on her roof and broken tiles everywhere. Gas stations, grocery stores, are pretty much all closed.

No. 9 out of 10 don't have a single scratch. A 60' sport fish got hit by a tornado and snapped 8 out of 9 pilings on the dock, broke free and ended up stuck in the shallow mud at the end of the canal before it got to the sea wall. It needs the hull painted ND BROKE UP 200' OF DOCKS

Did the yachts you take care of fare well? I've seen photos of large sailboats and other vessels that seem to have stayed where they were secured.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Hopefully when they install new power line poles they use concrete this time instead of wood.

I was driving one of the major roads in Orlando yesterday and saw a concrete pole that was broken in half, but the upper half of the pole was suspended because the lines did not sever.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Yes, they do work well. Have concrete poles in my neighborhood and we have power. Only went down about an hour.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Speaking of power poles, check out this idiot, scumbag...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...cane-irmas-wake.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:

Hey at least they had a proper flag on the end of the oversized load.....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...cane-irmas-wake.html

WTH are they doing? Selling this for scrap, or hoping for a pole dance??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If I was Kia Motors, I'd photoshop out the cons and use the rest of the picture as part of a marketing campaign Wink

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey at least they had a proper flag on the end of the oversized load.....

Now we know where their t-shirts went.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
I believe most of the HT power lines all the way down the Keys to KW are concrete, just not sure how well they are anchored. Not a criticism, just an observation. Any locals have current observations?

The main transmission lines are on concrete or steel poles. The pic below, main line on the larger pole. The smaller concrete pole snapped off st the top. This is the same location from a different angle as the boats in US1 I posted earlier. There are a lot of wooden poles in neighborhoods, plenty that survived, just being made of concrete does ensure survival. I saw another concrete one broken at the base.

The structure of my house is intact, we don't know yet if water got into the house.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
There would be gas if the damn pumps weren't laying down on the job.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

No. 9 out of 10 don't have a single scratch. A 60' sport fish got hit by a tornado and snapped 8 out of 9 pilings on the dock, broke free and ended up stuck in the shallow mud at the end of the canal before it got to the sea wall. It needs the hull painted ND BROKE UP 200' OF DOCKS

Broke up 200' of docks? Wow. Sounds like you did a great job preparing them. Who can prepare for a tornado?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

Broke up 200' of docks? Wow. Sounds like you did a great job preparing them. Who can prepare for a tornado?

It was tied to a 70' dock and it snapped off 8 out of 9 pilings flush with the deck. Then the neighbor had a long L dock next door at the end of the canal and it took out pretty much all of that.

The other 9 yachts 2 of them were 1/2 a mile and 1 mile away the rest don't have a single scratch.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I traveled to big pine to work on the house, I thought I'd post a few pics.

Islamorada 60 miles from the eyewall that passed over big pine.

Lower Matacombe these dunes were the sand pushed onto US1.

Chi Chi, get the yayo