SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
So yes, this looks to be a problem for Florida. Good news, everyone is taking it seriously. Bad news, going to the store, driving, trying to buy bread - good luck. Store shelves are emptying quickly and yo could not get me near a Home Depot.

Here's hoping this thing goes away - latest Euro and GFS have this as a 890 millibar storm coming up the east coast. That would not be good.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for the knee jerk loonies to proclaim that Harvey and Irma are the result of rampant human caused climate change. Last year was relatively quiet, and everything this year points towards an average year.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Some are now even calling for a new category of hurricane--a category 6. The "city killer." (Said in a deep, ominous voice.) It's a hurricane capable of wiping whole cities off of the map. I'm not even kidding. I wish I could find a link or something.

Yeah, people are just going nuts over this one. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post
In South Florida as well. Here's hoping for a sharp right turn and a meaningless storm away from land!

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, I have a good friend that called me last week about his winter home in Ft Myers Fla. The tile roof is leaking in several locations according to the neighbor who has the keys and he asked me to go there and oversee repairs for him. He plans on doing a new roof in the fall when he goes down for the winter. I suggested he contact his insurance company first and they all decided to just cover the whole house with blue tarps until the fall. The insurer is likely giving him zero anyway as it was not storm damage. Now along comes Irma at category 4 and possibly higher with what looks like Florida in it's path. Things could get very interesting in the next 3 - 5 days that's for sure. Batten down the hatches and don't wait till the last minute folks! JMO!!!!

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Some are now even calling for a new category of hurricane--a category 6. The "city killer." (Said in a deep, ominous voice.) It's a hurricane capable of wiping whole cities off of the map. I'm not even kidding. I wish I could find a link or something.

Not really a new thing Scientific America 2011

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I went to 4 different Wal-Mart's today looking for water. All gone. I scored 15 gallons at a local Publix.

It seems that all of the water went to Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
So yes, this looks to be a problem for Florida. Good news, everyone is taking it seriously. Bad news, going to the store, driving, trying to buy bread - good luck. Store shelves are emptying quickly and yo could not get me near a Home Depot.

Here's hoping this thing goes away - latest Euro and GFS have this as a 890 millibar storm coming up the east coast. That would not be good.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:

Reminder... "Super Storm Sandy."

The media already created it...

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I went to 4 different Wal-Mart's today looking for water. All gone. I scored 15 gallons at a local Publix.

It seems that all of the water went to texas.

Does "going nuts over Irma" include them shutting off the public water supply before the storm even hits?

Posts: 113 | Registered: February 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I'm still waiting for the knee jerk loonies to proclaim that Harvey and Irma are the result of rampant human caused climate change. Last year was relatively quiet, and everything this year points towards an average year.

Your wait is over:

http://freebeacon.com/issues/c...uestion-amid-harvey/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Monkey that is pretty much spot on. I'm taking this seriously, and my parents in the keys are saying that evacuations will likely be called tomorrow or Wednesday- 3 days to evacuate keys.

Ordered my batteries and more straps from Amazon. Stocked on food. Need to secure lose stuff in yard, strap down boat on lift and strap lift so it can't swing or lift up.

This one could go anywhere but will be close, best to be ready. Always a cluster, gonna be busy.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lab-Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
It seems that all of the water went to texas.

Does "going nuts over Irma" include them shutting off the public water supply before the storm even hits?

Ya.... not a bad idea to have some bottled water on hand but can't you bottle a few gallons of tap water?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
No bottled water. Gas stations being emptied. It is a madhouse in South Florida.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I really hate people. I guess our gas is going to continue to be 50 cents over inflated for no reason.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Folks along the lower Atlantic coast have a pretty rough "evac", as most likely a long haul to the west is best, but going to deal with a lot of the Texan folks displaced by Harvey.

I am lucky to be in the Panhandle and no matter what becomes of Irma, I will be good to go here.

Hope she drops her load before she hits.

Good luck to all who have to deal with this one.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a super duper emergency, you can get water out of your water heater. There's a good 30 to 50 readily available.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
quote:

Reminder... "Super Storm Sandy."

The media already created it...

It was defined as a Super Storm because it supposedly dropped out of hurricane status when it came ashore in NJ.

We've gotten plenty of rain here this summer, if Irma brings tropical rains this way there will be some severe flooding going on. And trees fall over easier when the ground is already good and soaked.

A tropical weather system similar to Sandy can effect us worse than 18" I of snow. I don't ever recall losing power during a winter storm, but with Sandy we were without power for 4 days. Others were longer than that.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
In a super duper emergency, you can get water out of your water heater. There's a good 30 to 50 readily available.

Toilet tanks too. (The tank, not the bowl, guys...)

Modern production toilets will hold around 1 to 2 gallons in the tank. Older toilets will hold 3 to 5 gallons.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
While I have no worries of hurricanes here in Minnesota, I do have to tangle with the occasional multi-day thunderstorm related power outage or winter blizzard.

I have always had an acceptable stock of water/food <stored> in the house, but today I added to the water supply just in case. Tomorrow I am going to add a few extra gallons of fuel for the generator.

Seeing how some act in times of trouble, it just makes sense.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post