SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:....I know this sounds crazy, but if the storm is inevitable for you, see it as an adventure. If you prepare and decide to ride it out, no amount of worry and distress will help. Get your plan together, execute it, and believe in it.

My daughter and her family live in Florida, talked with them this morning. Their mindset is exactly what you describe above. They have water, food, propane, batteries/flashlights, 72 hour kits (which I told her to bump up to 7 day kits).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
In a super duper emergency, you can get water out of your water heater. There's a good 30 to 50 readily available.

Toilet tanks too. (The tank, not the bowl, guys...)

Modern production toilets will hold around 1 to 2 gallons in the tank. Older toilets will hold 3 to 5 gallons.

I guess now wouldn't be the proper time then to pull an "upper decker" prank on your buddy...

Then again Razz

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I went out to pic up a few things today, not storm stuff, buy normal grocery items.

No joy. Lines for the parking lots were backed up out to the street.

From the way most people were acting, I'm pretty sure that somebody was handing out free lobotomies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
I was talking to a former Florida resident (fellow engineer) the other day about construction standards in that state and neither of us can figure out why stick construction is still allowed along the coast lines and even a few miles inward in general. Its not a matter of IF Florida will be hit with hurricanes, but when.

Stick construction is fine if engineered and built to current standards. Problems arise from substandard materials and construction. Key is to keep the top on and protect all portals from wind intrusion. Even block or stone construction will fail if you can't keep the top on.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Irma is predicted to hit land in Florida on Saturday 9/9. What's the likelihood that I will get stranded in Melbourne due to air travel interruptions on 9/7?

STAY HOME. NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Irma is predicted to hit land in Florida on Saturday 9/9. What's the likelihood that I will get stranded in Melbourne due to air travel interruptions on 9/7?

STAY HOME. NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Why would the airport close two days before the storm hits?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hayes Greener thanks for the posting. I have plenty of disaster experience, and those are wise words. People not from the area, have NO IDEA of what to do. It is funny to hear about draining the water heater and using the toilet tank water. Of course, filling the bathtub with water is a good idea if you can get a good seal and do not have to sit in it when your roof goes.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would argue that commercial flights probably will not be interrupted on 9/7 in Melbourne.

But I would contact the client and make damn certain that the meeting is still on.

If you miss your departing flight you will be SOL. The Keys are being evacuated, and this is only the start..

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would the airport close two days before the storm hits?

It might not. However it is not worth the chance. There will be people clamoring to leave. Think generalized chaos, kind of like when we left Vietnam. I was in Hawaii when a hurricane hit. I got the last flight out. I still have bad memories of the experience.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
So I'm reading in this thread that members in the southern states are making runs to the stores for food and other supplies. My question: If you know hurricane season is approaching, why not stock up on non-perishables ahead of time and start buying extras of perishables when a tropical storm forms in the Caribbean?

Almost inevitably, it seems like hurricanes hit the U.S. each year, but somehow it always comes as a surprise when it happens.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
So I'm reading in this thread that members in the southern states are making runs to the stores for food and other supplies. My question: If you know hurricane season is approaching, why not stock up on non-perishables ahead of time and start buying extras of perishables when a tropical storm forms in the Caribbean?

Almost inevitably, it seems like hurricanes hit the U.S. each year, but somehow it always comes as a surprise when it happens.

Most of the people freaking out are people that have moved here since the last time a hurricane looked like it was going to hit FL. When I was getting fresh fuel for the generator, I had a couple of gals that had just moved down from New York come and ask me about it. It was an eye-opener to them that we actually take hurricanes seriously, and that I was beginning to re-supply way ahead of time.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:

My family in FL were adequately prepared before doing any shopping. They did some shopping "just in case", also, to have some to share if needed.

But you got me thinking. I live in the Bay Area, CA, you live in Sonoma. Do we have any scuba/snorkel gear in case the big one hits, and our homes are now in the ocean? Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

People do this. We had about dozen storms in a short number of years, and then nothing fro the past twelve.

People do the "stash" thing and rotate goods, then life happens, they start letting things slip and then a few years go by and one day, Irma.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have your earthquake bug out kit? This is typical human behavior. Remember how stupid the average American is. The hysteria surrounding such events promotes this sort of thing. I might need this just in case. It is similar to the gas panic in DFW after Hurricane Harvey. Hoarding is going on in a big way, I assure you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I would argue that commercial flights probably will not be interrupted on 9/7 in Melbourne.

But I would contact the client and make damn certain that the meeting is still on.

This is probably the best advice. Many people lose the ability to function in a productive fashion when a possible disaster is looming. The airport should be open. The other factor not mentioned is how much you trust the airlines not to bump you on a return flight because someone else is willing to pay a premium. I do not trust the airlines in these situations. JMHO let us know what you decide.

posted Hide Post
If you go and rent a car, be sure to buy that no need
to fill the gas tank thing. You are not going to find
gas to fill the tank back up!

quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I could use some advice from my Florida friends since I don't have any hurricane experience. How many days in advance of landfall will air travel be affected?

I am scheduled to fly to Melbourne Florida tomorrow (9/6) for an important all day client meeting on Thursday (9/7), with a return flight leaving Melbourne that Thursday evening (9/7).

It looks like a big one, hope everybody stays safe down there.

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Hurricanes can be very unpredictable, it might pick up seed,slow down, change direction. Just because it looks like you could get back safely now, if it speeds up, all of the suddenly you can't, if it gets close the airlines will pull service. Melbourne is not the place I would want to be.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
I was talking to a former Florida resident (fellow engineer) the other day about construction standards in that state and neither of us can figure out why stick construction is still allowed along the coast lines and even a few miles inward in general. Its not a matter of IF Florida will be hit with hurricanes, but when.

I am a builder in Florida and the weak point is not the walls, but the roof. Even in concrete residential construction the roof is still wood.

Nothing wrong with properly built sticks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

I am a builder in Florida and the weak point is not the walls, but the roof. Even in concrete residential construction the roof is still wood.
Nothing wrong with properly built sticks.

I suspect there are not many commercial or residential structures that will do well being hit with 225 mph gusts filled with debris.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post

Home Depot in Cape Coral stripped bare of plywood already today.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post