SIGforum
Irma - everyone has gone nuts

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2090009924

September 11, 2017, 09:33 PM
Leemur
Irma - everyone has gone nuts
I'm in a cabin just a few miles outside of Boone, NC and we lost power about 2 hours ago. Steady rain with gusting winds.
September 11, 2017, 10:08 PM
Delmag Tech
Well, a tower must have just come online, because I suddenly have some cell service in the back yard.

We were really fortunate- lots of limbs down and a few evenings will be needed to repair the privacy fence and we'll be all set. Powers been out since 8 last night. I got a generator set up this afternoon and quite honestly, we're living high on the hog. My generator has enough ass to either run the A/C, or pretty much the rest of the house. So we've bounced back and forth a few times today.

I was most concerned about the St Johns river, which did flood the street two blocks away, but thats all the closer it got. Im taking away from this that if we really do ever get a cat 4, flooding of the house is more than possible. Guess what kind of ins Ill be looking into as things get back to normal...

Anyway, heres hoping all of you in the zone were as lucky as I was. Im happy to help anyone reasonably close. Speaking of, SpinZone, how did you fare?
September 11, 2017, 10:31 PM
Mars_Attacks
Well we just lost power and all my cabinet doors popped open.

Everything is vibrating and banging,I cant assess any damage.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
September 12, 2017, 07:51 AM
Georgeair
quote:
Trying to discern if my grandmother house in Ft. Myers was damaged. She's up here.

As someone mentioned earlier, give SnapMap a shot for general idea of the immediate area.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

September 12, 2017, 08:02 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Well we just lost power and all my cabinet doors popped open.

Everything is vibrating and banging,I cant assess any damage.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
September 12, 2017, 08:22 AM
BamaJeepster
The America we all know and love:

https://www.facebook.com/group...ink/487709768269139/

From one of the comments:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams
September 12, 2017, 08:42 AM
HK Ag
For those of you without power I feel your pain.
During hurricane Ike we were without power for 13.56893 days. And it was a hot September here in Houston that year.

I know crews from Texas and the rest of the country are heading your way but it may take a long time to get your power back up.

Hopefully you have a generator, if not I suggest getting in line today to get one. You don't want to get one on day 13 just to have it turned back on.
Then you will need to feed it, gas, there will be a run on gas everywhere with long lines. Plan for that, try to love your neighbors but it will be hard.

Good luck.

HK Ag
September 12, 2017, 02:02 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My mother-in-law lives in Orlando. She lost her husband in January. My sister-in-law moved from Dallas to Jacksonville just last month and is with her now. This is a great comfort to my wife. My mother-in-law is 80 and somewhat infirmed but is taking all of this in stride. She's lived in Florida her entire life.
Does she need anything?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 12, 2017, 02:03 PM
cslinger
So is Mars ok??

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
September 12, 2017, 02:17 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Does she need anything?
No, she's fine. Thank you for asking.
September 12, 2017, 02:37 PM
detroit192
Been lucky, Cobb County, especially West Cobb did not see the worst of the weather. Also Utilties had just pruned back the trees along the main road last month so I did not see any major limbs down in our area. Will be traveling to Montezuma, GA tomorrow. My customer down there is one of the few places with power. Getting an early start as I75 and my alternates (US19/41) have been jammed South bound today and I expect worst tomorrow.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor
September 12, 2017, 03:00 PM
drtenb330
I'm finishing up 4 days of shifts, 2 of them doubles, and I don't have power either. It's amazing how people lived here before AC. I took the extra shifts b/c I don't sleep much, and I can't stand the heat.

Hope everyone came out of this ok. I had the displeasure of being on numerous NWS phone calls updating us, Including one where Debbie Wasserman Shitz had to be on. Arrogant lady.

The weather service tried hard, but they really missed on this storm. They need to spend serious research money on a system that works. There was so much wasted manpower and money - or at the least it was in the wrong place.
September 12, 2017, 03:53 PM
parabellum
Power's back on. It was out just a bit over 24 hours. No internet as of yet, but that's no surprise, considering the scope of the power outage.
September 12, 2017, 04:00 PM
comet24
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Trying to discern if my grandmother house in Ft. Myers was damaged. She's up here.

As someone mentioned earlier, give SnapMap a shot for general idea of the immediate area.

Never thought I would put Snapchat on my phone but the Snapmap feature is very cool. I can see the neighbourhood and streets and click on videos that others using SnapChat have uploaded. Very cool being able to see the location on a map the video is from.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
September 12, 2017, 04:01 PM
SigJacket
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
Been lucky, Cobb County, especially West Cobb did not see the worst of the weather. Also Utilties had just pruned back the trees along the main road last month so I did not see any major limbs down in our area. Will be traveling to Montezuma, GA tomorrow. My customer down there is one of the few places with power. Getting an early start as I75 and my alternates (US19/41) have been jammed South bound today and I expect worst tomorrow.

Practically a non event in my corner of East Cobb. Mostly the usual tree trash this morning, just a flicker of the lights last night.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844
September 12, 2017, 04:03 PM
LDD
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:
I had the displeasure of being on numerous NWS phone calls updating us, Including one where Debbie Wasserman Shitz had to be on. Arrogant lady.

Glad to hear you're doing ok Doc.

Some lawyers might chase ambulances, but it seems like all politicians chase disasters Mad
September 12, 2017, 07:27 PM
SpinZone
quote:
Originally posted by Delmag Tech:
Well, a tower must have just come online, because I suddenly have some cell service in the back yard.

We were really fortunate- lots of limbs down and a few evenings will be needed to repair the privacy fence and we'll be all set. Powers been out since 8 last night. I got a generator set up this afternoon and quite honestly, we're living high on the hog. My generator has enough ass to either run the A/C, or pretty much the rest of the house. So we've bounced back and forth a few times today.

I was most concerned about the St Johns river, which did flood the street two blocks away, but thats all the closer it got. Im taking away from this that if we really do ever get a cat 4, flooding of the house is more than possible. Guess what kind of ins Ill be looking into as things get back to normal...

Anyway, heres hoping all of you in the zone were as lucky as I was. Im happy to help anyone reasonably close. Speaking of, SpinZone, how did you fare?

Pretty good. Lost power around 1 am, rained stopped around 10 am so I got the generator up and running. Power restored late in the afternoon.

We have debris everywhere, a few of the branches were large enough that i needed to cut them up in place before hauling them to the curb but nothing sizable hit the house.

There are 3 houses in the neighborhood that I saw with trees through the roof so we count ourselves as fortunate.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

September 12, 2017, 08:12 PM
comet24
They estimate power being restored Sept. 22 at my grandmother's house in Ft. Myers.

A neighbor walked the house. No water damage. The roof looks ok but they couldn't the entire roof. No water inside is very good though. The tree did fall and rip down a gutter but it that's all I would say all is good considering.

So glad she's up here.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
September 12, 2017, 11:19 PM
jimmy123x
Pompano beach, fl. I lost power at 10 pm Friday night, still without power. Had a 40' tall palm tree fall but luckily it missed everything. My sister has had a mango tree fall on her roof and broken tiles everywhere. Gas stations, grocery stores, are pretty much all closed.
September 13, 2017, 05:08 PM
parabellum
I spoke to the friend of a neighbor this afternoon and she said that they lost power in Snellville about 2:30 pm Monday and they're still dark. It seems that there are countless utility poles that were snapped, so it's not just a matter of clearing trees and re-stringing the cables. The sheer volume of this damage has overwhelmed the crews working to repair it.

My thanks to all those people doing the dangerous work of repairing the damage.

There are huge trees still down all over Atlanta. WSB-TV just showed Sandy Springs, where I lived for 17 years, showed an intersection I know very well, and a huge tree is blocking the road. The only reason it would not be cleared, is because they just don't have enough personnel.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023