SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
eye of the storm is about 35 miles south of North Port

heading north at 14 mph

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Chris Cuomo on CNN is reporting from my neighborhood in Naples. He is standing on the top of my bank. Whatever happens there is happening at my house. Fingers crossed. The storm has weakened a bit and the back half is less organized. I'm hoping that means lower storm surge. As it was, I'm in the 10-15ft zone. My cars are in the garage at 5.5ft asl and my first floor is at 11ft.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Wow, csm. I hope you cars are in value range of mine. Otherwise it seems some idiotic not to have moved them, no?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

satellite pic 536pm EDT 10 Sep 2017

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well, the storm is so devastating here in Orlando, I just took Lou for a walk. Other than getting a bit wet he managed to do his business just fine without any injuries. And I mean that as a bit of levity in response to these ridiculous media types forecasting the end of the world, not to belittle what others southwest of me are likely going through.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I mean that as a bit of levity in response to these ridiculous media types forecasting the end of the world

And, they're trying their damn best not to give up on it!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
forecasting the end

Probably because of the kind of home construction found everywhere in Florida.

For example, here is a typical Florida single-family home:

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:
And I mean that as a bit of levity in response to these ridiculous media types forecasting the end of the world

And, they're trying their damn best not to give up on it!

They truly are. The guy I just watched showed some catastrophic damage. A broken window, some broken tree branches and a knocked over stop sign. Oh the huge manatee of it all.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Chris Cuomo on CNN is reporting from my neighborhood in Naples. He is standing on the top of my bank. Whatever happens there is happening at my house. Fingers crossed.
< snip >

ChicagoSIGMan,

It must be Hell, having such contradictory feelings.

One one hand, you want "your" bank to be there when you get back to work. It will show in a small way, that your bank can resist anything.

On the other hand, there is wanting the building to be submerged under a 500 meter tall wave taking Chris Cuomo to Davey Jones' locker....

You may be in psychoanalysis for years.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You know I get the INFOTAINMENT aspect of the modern news but its gotta be hard to walk the line of preparing warning people vs. causing more issues due to panic fear mongering.

I mean there are people who literally will stand on the coast to watch these things rather then seek safety. Some of those types of people might need the YOU WILL FRICKIN DIE TWICE warning to get them to seek some semblance of safety. There is also the aspect that mother nature is a sneaky crafty bitch that can go either way this storm could very well have, at least early on could etch it sketch a location easily.

All I am saying is there has to be some level of holy shit this could be bad prep and reporting.

I am glad that so far the folks I know down there as well as many folks on here are reporting that it isn't as bad as expected (NOT TO BELITTLE THE OBVIOUS FAR REACHING EFFECTS THIS STORM IS AND WILL HAVE).

Please take care all and be safe. Prayers to the almighty that he keeps ole' mom nature on a leash.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
forecasting the end

Probably because of the kind of home construction found everywhere in Florida.

For example, here is a typical Florida single-family home:

I thought most Florida homes were concrete block.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only condos. Hard to build a second story or more with palm fronds.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I am saying is there has to be some level of holy shit this could be bad prep and reporting.

I seldom watch the Weather Channel for hurricane updates for my area. I follow the NHC website and plan accordingly. The local tv station is where most people get their information. Fort Meyers live stream has good information for SWFL. Very little in the way of dramatic stuff. It is good coverage.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

CBS. Concrete block, stucco.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
In a slight amount of fairness to the media, NOAA, and emergency services had it not weakened and stayed a Category 5 as it could have, it would have been different story. The real issue here is if the next one comes and stays big, a lot may ignore the warnings, stay, and get screwed.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Well, the storm is so devastating here in Orlando, I just took Lou for a walk. Other than getting a bit wet he managed to do his business just fine without any injuries. And I mean that as a bit of levity in response to these ridiculous media types forecasting the end of the world, not to belittle what others southwest of me are likely going through.

Were you nearly decapitated by a palm frond?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

The red dot is the center of Irma at 8pm 10 sep

That is the lat/long from NOAA.

movement N at 14 mph

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
My ex wife called to see if we are safe but my parents haven't, how fucked up is that?

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post