SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Just learned that when there's a state of emergency in Florida, ... you can't carry concealed.

That would preclude me from traveling down there to help, post-disaster, were I so-inclined. I no longer go anywhere unarmed, willingly.
Trust me. They claim ~600k people in Floria possess CCL's. The vast majority of those still in Florida during and after this storm will be carrying. I'll damn sure be one of them. I do not follow so called 'laws' that intentionally put me in at risk.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We carry and I've moved up to my HK with a bit more capacity. AR and mini are out of safe and accessible. Looting after is going to be problem. Wife now carries 100% even around house.

We did not have the huge problem with looting after Katrina that New Orleans did. There was some. People take advantage of these situations, and it is wise to be armed. A local attorney used his shotgun to save his life. He was not expecting a 27 foot storm surge and his house was quickly flooding. He blasted out his French doors to let the water rush through. He would have drowned. Several days later when there was no electricity there were some miscreants in the neighborhood. Two blasts from the shotgun into the air and they left. I do not recall anyone here on the Coast who was a law abiding citizen being in trouble for carrying a firearm. When the National Guard arrived they were a little more jumpy at first, but calmed down after a while.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Im with you. Ill be around the house from now until its passed. Ill damn sure be protected in the same fashion I usually am, and am licensed by the state to be. Just the thought of that right being questioned whem Im most likely to need it infuriates me.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah I don't think there will be a whole lot of enforcing that law. Wink

Legal or not, that's a situation I'd be armed for.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

latest NOAA forecast (11 pm EDT)

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

It's deja vu, all over again...

Look at them Gogh.

Well done sigmonkey! Cool

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lifted this from today's Miami Herald. I think it expresses the feelings of those that live in Florida or in areas impacted by hurricanes.

When Donna hammered the state in 1960, we huddled inside my parents’ shuttered house and listened to the news on a transistor radio, hoping we wouldn’t run out of batteries.

There was no Weather Channel, no colorful cone to contemplate, no spaghetti models to ponder. The sound of trees snapping is what told us the storm had arrived.

Now, thanks to amazing science, we can start fretting 10 days in advance, as soon as the first unruly cloud creeps off the coast of Africa.

Here’s a line that native Floridians love to hear: “You were born here. You must be used to this.”

Seriously? Nobody ever gets used to it, no matter how many hurricanes they experience. If you’re not worried, you’re a certifiable moron.

The wait is always grinding. The blow is always frightening. The cleanup is always grueling.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I for one can do without the media hype, and all the anticipatory anxiety that goes along with that. Having time to prepare also means have LOTS OF TIME TO WORRY. JHMO

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
In retrospect, I might add that following the hurricane with Andrew, we had a lot of clean-up from the destruction to homes and businesses. In order to quickly clear the streets and roadways, they contracted services. Many backhoes and bulldozers were up and down neighborhoods pushing debris into piles to be picked up and transported to the fill sites. Leaving behind so much debris to include screws, roofing nails and other sharp objects on the roadways. Within the first month following clean-up, I had 3 flats from roofing nails and screws left behind on the roads. Everybody I know pretty much had several flats in the affected areas, so be mindful, I'm sure there's going to be plenty of clean-up from debris!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I wonder how the 20+ story high rise buildings in Miami Beach will fare in 120 mph winds.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Link to the European and American ensemble models. The ensemble models are spaghetti plots of multiple runs of each model with slight changes in the variables. Looking at the European ensemble model, it looks like any changes would have the storm going west of the current forcast track.

The current NHC forecast also looks like it's going west of Miami, up the middle of Florida and then into Georgia. The 2am Tuesday is about 35 miles northeast of our current location. At the very least, it looks like we're not driving home, Punta Gorda, on Monday. We'll have to decide sometime tomorrow if we should leave Georgia and which way to go.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Two blasts from the shotgun into the air and they left.

He must have been standing on his balcony.

[snicker]

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Maybe they will act as a buffer.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I wonder how the 20+ story high rise buildings in Miami Beach will fare in 120 mph winds.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Just learned that when there's a state of emergency in Florida, ammo and gun sales are illegal. AND you can't carry concealed.

870.044 Automatic emergency measures.—Whenever the public official declares that a state of emergency exists, pursuant to s. 870.043, the following acts shall be prohibited during the period of said emergency throughout the jurisdiction:
(1) The sale of, or offer to sell, with or without consideration, any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.
(2) The intentional display, after the emergency is declared, by or in any store or shop of any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.
(3) The intentional possession in a public place of a firearm by any person, except a duly authorized law enforcement official or person in military service acting in the official performance of her or his duty.

Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of firearms that are lawfully possessed, unless a person is engaged in a criminal act.

870.043 Declaration of emergency.—Whenever the sheriff or designated city official determines that there has been an act of violence or a flagrant and substantial defiance of, or resistance to, a lawful exercise of public authority and that, on account thereof, there is reason to believe that there exists a clear and present danger of a riot or other general public disorder, widespread disobedience of the law, and substantial injury to persons or to property, all of which constitute an imminent threat to public peace or order and to the general welfare of the jurisdiction affected or a part or parts thereof, he or she may declare that a state of emergency exists within that jurisdiction or any part or parts thereof.

Relax Floridians. This entire section of Florida Statutes relates to Riots, Affrays, Civil Disorder

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

They seem to hold up fine. In fact, my coworker who is on the ship with me now lives in Fort Lauderdale right on the Intracoastal, and he told his wife to go into one of the condominium high rises that he has access to to ride out the storm. It's on the 18th floor. It'll definitely be safer there than in his house.

He said that during Wilma he lived on the 18th floor of a building and could feel and even see the building swaying, but in the end he came out fine. Must be pretty unnerving though to see plates shaking and chandeliers swaying with the building. The sound of the wind is also pretty intense as it moves between the buildings and whatnot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is an historic storm past experiences might not reflect the reality on the ground.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
If this is an historic storm past experiences might not reflect the reality on the ground.
The hysteria being whipped up by the news media does not match reality, either.

Calling this storm "historic" is, at this point, silly and wishful thinking on the part of those who benefit from the hysteria.

Anyone ever hear of Hurricane Andrew? This storm may very well be worse than Andrew, but we do not yet know what will happen.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
The histeria being whipped up by the news media does not match reality, either.

Caling this storm "historic" is, at this point, silly and wishful thinking on the part of those who benefit from the hysteria.

Anyone ever hear of Hurricane Andrew?

The media has really been putting their best acts forwards here in Miami locally. They're really doubling down with this storm as it approaches. In fact, their faces seemed a little disappointed that the storm has most recently been downgraded to 155mph this morning, but they add that hook that "Don't forget folks...it's still right on the border of a category 5, which makes it a devastating Category 4" Now, here locally they're pushing huge storm surge warnings and and massive flooding Roll Eyes Honestly in the 63yrs I've lived thru storms here in Miami, I've never heard the media scaring the folks as much as today, it definitely creates shear chaos.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
In fact, their faces seemed a little disappointed that the storm has most recently been downgraded to 155mph this morning, but they add that hook that "Don't forget folks...it's still right on the border of a category 5, which makes it a devastating Category 4"
I am not surprised in the least.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those buildings are often some of the safer ones. Solidly build with steel and cement. Stay on the first floor or two where they may be flooding and away from windows where the wind is coming from.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post