SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
It will probably wobble a bit once they get the track down. It will swing a like a pendulum.
Remember, that 5 day forecast is still a bit sketchy. The 3 day is the only one that they really have a lot of confidence in.

That is correct. There is even variation in the three day track, and after that some eye wobbles and such. It is actually fairly recent that the NHC has published the five day track. I would NOT focus on the exact track.

Katrina hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast on a Monday morning. The forecast on the prior Friday was for a direct hit on the Florida Panhandle. NHC changed the track late that Friday to our area. There is still room for error.

Ten years ago, Hurricane Charlie jogged east and in 90 minutes went from a cat 2 to a cat 4 and made land fall 100 miles south of all predictions. Don't take your eyes off of this storm.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just learned that when there's a state of emergency in Florida, ammo and gun sales are illegal. AND you can't carry concealed.

870.044 Automatic emergency measures.—Whenever the public official declares that a state of emergency exists, pursuant to s. 870.043, the following acts shall be prohibited during the period of said emergency throughout the jurisdiction:
(1) The sale of, or offer to sell, with or without consideration, any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.
(2) The intentional display, after the emergency is declared, by or in any store or shop of any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.
(3) The intentional possession in a public place of a firearm by any person, except a duly authorized law enforcement official or person in military service acting in the official performance of her or his duty.

Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of firearms that are lawfully possessed, unless a person is engaged in a criminal act.

870.043 Declaration of emergency.—Whenever the sheriff or designated city official determines that there has been an act of violence or a flagrant and substantial defiance of, or resistance to, a lawful exercise of public authority and that, on account thereof, there is reason to believe that there exists a clear and present danger of a riot or other general public disorder, widespread disobedience of the law, and substantial injury to persons or to property, all of which constitute an imminent threat to public peace or order and to the general welfare of the jurisdiction affected or a part or parts thereof, he or she may declare that a state of emergency exists within that jurisdiction or any part or parts thereof.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
It would e really nice if it jogged enough east that the eastern eyeball stays offshore. It's going to be rough but that would take a bit of the worst of it away from land.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Just learned that when there's a state of emergency in Florida, ... you can't carry concealed.

That would preclude me from traveling down there to help, post-disaster, were I so-inclined. I no longer go anywhere unarmed, willingly.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Just learned that when there's a state of emergency in Florida, ... you can't carry concealed.

That would preclude me from traveling down there to help, post-disaster, were I so-inclined. I no longer go anywhere unarmed, willingly.

You'd think a state of emergency would be the time when they'd want people to carry....if a situation arises, the cops won't be coming quickly, if at all

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hurricane doesn't fit the description of emergency that you quote.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

We used to have that stupid law here in NC too, but thankfully that was changed a few years ago.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'd think a state of emergency would be the time when they'd want people to carry....if a situation arises, the cops won't be coming quickly, if at all

I am not sure about that. This appears to conflict with an earlier statement in the thread. I do not live in Florida so I do not know. I wish someone who lives in Florida would clarify.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, in this thread there's conflicting information on the subject.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
http://www.guns.com/2015/05/22...oncealed-carry-bill/

"...Now law is a measure to allow law-abiding citizens without concealed carry licenses to bear arms during declared mandatory evacuations. ..."

The key is "...while in the act of evacuating..."

If you live in and are strolling down the beach in Pensacola, and the po-leece stops you and finds you gots a gat and no concealed permit, you gonna get in trubble, misdemeanor style.

(Below, the bold is mine to highlight)

The 2017 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES
Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
View Entire Chapter
790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.—
(1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(3) This section does not apply to:
(a) A person who carries a concealed weapon, or a person who may lawfully possess a firearm and who carries a concealed firearm, on or about his or her person while in the act of evacuating during a mandatory evacuation order issued during a state of emergency declared by the Governor pursuant to chapter 252 or declared by a local authority pursuant to chapter 870. As used in this subsection, the term “in the act of evacuating” means the immediate and urgent movement of a person away from the evacuation zone within 48 hours after a mandatory evacuation is ordered. The 48 hours may be extended by an order issued by the Governor.

(b) A person who carries for purposes of lawful self-defense, in a concealed manner:
1. A self-defense chemical spray.
2. A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
(4) This section does not preclude any prosecution for the use of an electric weapon or device, a dart-firing stun gun, or a self-defense chemical spray during the commission of any criminal offense under s. 790.07, s. 790.10, s. 790.23, or s. 790.235, or for any other criminal offense.
History.—s. 1, ch. 4929, 1901; GS 3262; RGS 5095; CGL 7197; s. 1, ch. 67-165; s. 2, ch. 69-306; s. 739, ch. 71-136; s. 2, ch. 76-165; s. 3, ch. 80-268; s. 2, ch. 92-183; s. 2, ch. 97-72; s. 1203, ch. 97-102; s. 5, ch. 2004-286; s. 2, ch. 2006-298; s. 1, ch. 2015-44.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I am not sure about that. This appears to conflict with an earlier statement in the thread. I do not live in Florida so I do not know. I wish someone who lives in Florida would clarify.

Yeah, as monkey said, one is referring to an evacuation order and the other a state of emergency.

And I can't think of a more urgent time to carry than during a state of emergency.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The key is "...while in the act of evacuating

Evacuating can mean many things. I have often heard the term in gastrointestinal contexts. LOL

Thanks for the clarification.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah I don't think people much care what that old Florida law says.

Zero fucks given and I'm confident 99% of the police feel the same way.

Everyone who carries is still carrying folks. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Interesting. My across the street neighbor owns a gun store, told me on Wednesday that business was booming and he didn't want to evacuate just yet. He's the local Glock and Sig LEO dealer.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I don't think there will be a whole lot of enforcing that law. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:His wife doesn't have a D/L?

They have no car and no licenses. She's almost 21 and he's 26. They both got their temporary licenses when they got to Fort Bragg. They're planning on getting around to it eventually.

Once this is all over, I'm going to make sure they get them and a car.
Wow, that sucks. Next time I'd recommend the Greyhound bus.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

It's deja vu, all over again...

Look at them Gogh.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
http://video.foxnews.com/v/556...6001/?#sp=show-clips

South Florida in Hurricane Irma's bullseye

Sep. 07, 2017 - 7:36 - Forecasters fear powerful storm will make direct hit on Florida's highly developed population center

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, that sucks. Next time I'd recommend the Greyhound bus.

Different generation. Those of us with World War II Dads would not even attempt to make the phone call. My Dad would suggest I ride my bike if I was that unprepared.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
We carry and I've moved up to my HK with a bit more capacity. AR and mini are out of safe and accessible. Looting after is going to be problem. Wife now carries 100% even around house.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post