SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Another good information source. It discusses surge, with just the facts. The water does the most damage, not the wind. The two storms with the highest storm surge both hit Mississippi. We are prone to that due to shallow offshore waters and other factors. This site explains it well.

https://www.wunderground.com/h...surge_us_records.asp

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What sites are you guys using to monitor?

http://spaghettimodels.com/

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Now you have to deal with sharks too????

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What you're saying is that Sharknado was not a work of fiction? Big Grin

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I am supposed to report to lake city tomorrow at noonish.

Should I take 32' rv with me or leave it home? If I take it, is there anyone in Lake city that can let me park it if they tell me to lose it? Have park space Friday to monday planned. Need good Intel from those I the know please.

No clue where I will be after it hits. Helping FPL get back up...

Your gonna take a trailer to a tornado party?

If you are doing Damage Assessment Team and Assistance (Or, DAT ASS for short) the RV might be a liability if your having to cover a lot of area, but the other side of this is the fact that many people displaced from damaged or inaccessible homes, plus other responders like Red Cross and FEMA will be taking all the rooms in hotels/motels and finding a place will be a pain.

Lake City is smack in the middle of Florida, and current projections will put you in a pretty windy place. A trailer with tie downs is one thing, a free lightweight RV trailer is another thing in such conditions.

So, really a coin flip. You do have a coin, don't you?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I am supposed to report to lake city tomorrow at noonish.

Should I take 32' rv with me or leave it home? If I take it, is there anyone in Lake city that can let me park it if they tell me to lose it? Have park space Friday to monday planned. Need good Intel from those I the know please.

No clue where I will be after it hits. Helping FPL get back up...

Your gonna take a trailer to a tornado party?

If you are doing Damage Assessment Team and Assistance (Or, DAT ASS for short) the RV might be a liability if your having to cover a lot of area, but the other side of this is the fact that many people displaced from damaged or inaccessible homes, plus other responders like Red Cross and FEMA will be taking all the rooms in hotels/motels and finding a place will be a pain.

Lake City is smack in the middle of Florida, and current projections will put you in a pretty windy place. A trailer with tie downs is one thing, a free lightweight RV trailer is another thing in such conditions.

So, really a coin flip. You do have a coin, don't you?

The coin is going with.

Really struggling on RV. See how it could be a blessing and a curse. Should probably leave it behind. Have had one in Stuart request it though...

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really struggling on RV. See how it could be a blessing and a curse. Should probably leave it behind. Have had one in Stuart request it though..

I agree with Monkey. Typically the power companies and disaster recovery teams stage in a huge parking lot a safe distance from Tropical Storm force winds and go in once the winds die down. Lots of surface area to blow around on an RV.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You know me, I travel light and take no prisoners.

Rather than having to worry and keep up with the "luxury", I'll get by in the back of my truck just fine.

If I really were concerned with a "roof", I would pick up a small fast pitch tent and hit the road.

Other people in the areas you will be in, will still be dealing with the suck, long after you get back to your three hots and a cot in Peachville.

Go and help, and remember, it's all part of the journey.

Be safe, and call me if you need anything.

BTW My cousin is a "nook" guy for FLP in Vero, so I can always give him a shout if you need FLP things moving for you, and he might be able to help.

He's gonna be busy with the 2 plants. "Fukeshima lite" and "South TMI".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
It will probably wobble a bit once they get the track down. It will swing a like a pendulum.
Remember, that 5 day forecast is still a bit sketchy. The 3 day is the only one that they really have a lot of confidence in.

That is correct. There is even variation in the three day track, and after that some eye wobbles and such. It is actually fairly recent that the NHC has published the five day track. I would NOT focus on the exact track.

Katrina hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast on a Monday morning. The forecast on the prior Friday was for a direct hit on the Florida Panhandle. NHC changed the track late that Friday to our area. There is still room for error.

My house is in the 3 day cone. Frown

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Aright rv not going. Thanks for help.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My house is in the 3 day cone.

Yeah I know how that feels. Been there quite a few times. Have both evacuated and stayed through Major Hurricanes. Have the scars to prove it. You sound prepared. Most are not, and they pay the price.

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
So yes, this looks to be a problem for Florida. Good news, everyone is taking it seriously. Bad news, going to the store, driving, trying to buy bread - good luck. Store shelves are emptying quickly and yo could not get me near a Home Depot.

Here's hoping this thing goes away - latest Euro and GFS have this as a 890 millibar storm coming up the east coast. That would not be good.

Vegan aisles are still fully stocked.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Question re liquid propane tank....I have a 1000 gallon LP tank buried in my yard that supplies the hot water heater, stove, grill, etc. It also supplies my 20kw standby generator. Should I shut off the main gas valve before the storm? It makes sense but then I lose my generator (AC, refrigerator, lights, etc).

Underground I would not worry about it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:His wife doesn't have a D/L?

They have no car and no licenses. She's almost 21 and he's 26. They both got their temporary licenses when they got to Fort Bragg. They're planning on getting around to it eventually.

Once this is all over, I'm going to make sure they get them and a car.

What is wrong with kids these days??? I was at the Drivers license bureau the day I turned 16 to get my license and already had a car I bought myself.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I would bring the RV. Stay out of the hurricane force winds, than go to wherever you need to go. You will me a LOT more comfortable with an RV to go "home" to at night. Assuming they haven't blocked off a bunch of rooms at a hotel for you already.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
What is wrong with kids these days??? I was at the Drivers license bureau the day I turned 16 to get my license and already had a car I bought myself.

Yep me too. Got my permit on my 15th birthday, drivers license on my 16th birthday, car was bought, insured, registered and ready to go on my 16th birthday. I dont understand the kids these days.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have not posted here, as I felt other than wishing all in the path of the hurricane, safety, but some one posted a link to Wunderground weather.

Its showing another hurricane, Jose, on the heels of Irma, this seems to be very bad.

I remember this terrible hurricane,(Camille) as many of us on the East Coast remember.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...lue-ridge-mountains/

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Really struggling on RV. See how it could be a blessing and a curse. Should probably leave it behind. Have had one in Stuart request it though..

I agree with Monkey. Typically the power companies and disaster recovery teams stage in a huge parking lot a safe distance from Tropical Storm force winds and go in once the winds die down. Lots of surface area to blow around on an RV.

Having worked at Florida Power and Light Co for 25yrs and being on several Storm Restoration Teams I can tell you that we were to hunker down at home with our families until the storm passes and it was safe to travel to the affected areas. Our teams would then converge on the areas most affected and develop staging areas, usually all FPL Service Centers and dispatch from there in our recovery teams.Usually we would be put up in the local hotel/motel establishments. Definitely a bonus for those establishments as FPL would get power restored to those areas firstly and do our restoration surveys and in the proper sequence begin safe restoration. Often being on the road away from your family for weeks/months at a time getting our system and folks back to service if possible, depending on the severity and importance of the power distribution. Usually with us in Power Delivery, we start with damage assessments to Power Generation, i.e. Power Plants and then to all Transmission facilities, then to the Distribution Substations and on to the individual local Substation feeders. I was in Substation's for my 25yr career doing testing, maintenance and replacement and/or repairs on all existing equipment inside the fences. We were treated very well during storm restoration usually being away from home a lot and following the storms path. They will certainly have their hands full with Irma on her current expected path. I foresee a lot of folks without power for a good bit in the harder affected areas. In Hurricane Andrew here, I lost my power Aug 24th and didn't have it restored until Oct 19th and I worked for them. The restoration efforts are staged and sequential according to the priorities.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Its showing another hurricane, Jose, on the heels of Irma, this seems to be very bad.

José? I wouldn't worry about it. No way Trump will let that one come here.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

José? I wouldn't worry about it. No way Trump will let that one come here.

Hi-oh!!!

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post