SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Take $30M or go Back to When You Were 18 yrs old to Correct Your Mistakes - Which Would You Choose?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take $30M or go Back to When You Were 18 yrs old to Correct Your Mistakes - Which Would You Choose? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

We have some close family in their 90's. They are at a point they often hope today is their last day before they move on.

My mother, as she approached 90, fretted that she had lived so much longer than her friends and husband, all gone to Heaven years ago, that they might be thinking she didn't make it.

Here's my thought; for those who get to heaven, we will know all those others also there, instantly and upon arrival. As Heaven is eternal, those who are there already know that I am/will be there.

In your mother's case she need not fret - those in Heaven already know she's there too.

Just my concept of Heaven.

She wasn't already there when she said that. She was sitting on the couch in her living room.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I just hit 45 on the odometer today. Maybe I'll take the 18 option.... Confused

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Hell yea. Go back that is.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'd do some smart things and some stupid things with the $30 million, I'll admit that right now.

If I could go back in time? As I sit here now, I want to go back either 59 days, 61 months, or 26 years (to correct/prevent a few particular events). Going back to when I was 18? Only if I could go with the knowledge I have now.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ever "mistakes" I may have made might have been exactly what drove me to a great career a one in a billion wife and a life as good as it can get. I will take the cash and do what I can to maximize the joyful life I have with my bride and since I can not realistically use it all give a bunch to worthy causes. I can not imagine life having turned out any better than it has

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Money please.

Most of the biggest regrets in my life had already happened by the time I was 18.
Those that hadn't could be remedied with the money.

Posts: 21093 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
I'll take the $30MM

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am like most. I don't think I could undo my life. There are things I wish were different, but then I may well not have other things - like family. I am who I am.

Write the check.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
They money. I have a (currently sleeping) little boy in my lap who will be turning one year old on the fourth. Any mistakes I may have made in the past may have been painful at the time, but ultimately put me on the road to him. Wouldn't change it for the world. Plus, 30 mil buys a lot of diapers...

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/3HvPl-tzKo8

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought about this in the past(minus the cash) and can't really decide. There are several things in my life I would do differently that would have had a big effect on where I am today.

On the other hand, some things I have now I just would not want to give up, my kids for example. All the material things that I have right now could be replaced in the alternate life, and be bigger and better but the family stuff would be tough.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've often considered what it would be like to go back and visit with my younger self for a few days. Of course it occurs to me that if my younger self were to see my current self, he'd crawl into a fetal position and rock himself into a coma......lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29681 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prior to 2002 I might relive back to age 18. But since then I'll have to take the money. Wouldn't want to never have my 3 daughters in my life now.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:

I honestly wonder if having 30 million dropped in my lap would be a good thing or a bad thing for me and my family in the long run. Sometimes that type of money destroys the truly good things in life. I would have to be very careful about how that money was handled.

The big obstacle for most people is they don't realize how expensive it is to be rich.

The trick really isn't any different if you are rich or poor. The real trick is simply to spend less than you make.

If you take the thirty million (or whatever money) and think "Woowoo, I've got money to spend," it will soon be spent.

If you invest the 30 mil and spend the lesser of 4% of the total amount or the annual income, you'll likely have a minimum of 1.2 million dollars to spend each year and your money will grow.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I have lived a great life.
Mistakes? Sure, but they made me the man I am now.
I am having WAY more fun now.

Gimme the cash and let's have a shoot at my place.

Posts: 5027 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post