SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Take $30M or go Back to When You Were 18 yrs old to Correct Your Mistakes - Which Would You Choose?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take $30M or go Back to When You Were 18 yrs old to Correct Your Mistakes - Which Would You Choose? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Take the money and run.

I have no idea what the time line would look like as I changed my timeline.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lunchbox:
I would like to go back to 18. I made a wrong career choice 20 years ago and I've grown to regret it in the past few years. I always wanted to be a master wood worker and when I was younger I was very good at it. Now 20 years have past and I haven't touched a table saw once. Even if I started now there is 20 years worth of experience and wisdom I've missed out on. The more I live life the more I wished I would have chased after that dream. I've also grown to realize that money really isn't everything, 30 million would be nice but it would not satisfy me.

I can't argue with it. I do very amateur woodwork, 35 years ago thought of it as a profession/career but went another way. I haven't had a car in my garage since 1986 due to my woodworking tools. And I still have all my fingers (although with a scars from times I was sloppy).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
$30M here.

Think about it. Most of that extra time, you'd be all 'What the HECK was I thinking!?! Could have gotten $30M and instead I got acne all over again." Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I often regret a lot of life choices but then I would never be where I am now, and it's a pretty awesome time. One of major regret was dropping out of the AFROTC when I was being offered a scholarship. Having to know what major and my entire school career scared me when I figured out very quickly I did NOT want to be a programmer. If I had of done that, it's doubtful I would have met my wife or had my baby girl. I'll take the 30 million gladly. I'm 34 so I have a lot of time to live off of that.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
$30 million absolutely. I did some dumb stuff when I was young, but I made way more right choices than wrong. Good parents, a relationship with Jesus, focus on what I wanted to do with my life, etc. I've got a great wife, great kids, great job, nice house, plenty of guns, and a 4wd truck. Now just show me the money.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
$30 million please. I'll take cash or certified check.

The past is the past.
Boom.

The past made you who you are today.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by lunchbox:
I would like to go back to 18. I made a wrong career choice 20 years ago and I've grown to regret it in the past few years. I always wanted to be a master wood worker and when I was younger I was very good at it. Now 20 years have past and I haven't touched a table saw once. Even if I started now there is 20 years worth of experience and wisdom I've missed out on. The more I live life the more I wished I would have chased after that dream. I've also grown to realize that money really isn't everything, 30 million would be nice but it would not satisfy me.

I can't argue with it. I do very amateur woodwork, 35 years ago thought of it as a profession/career but went another way. I haven't had a car in my garage since 1986 due to my woodworking tools. And I still have all my fingers (although with a scars from times I was sloppy).

There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about what I could have done with my talents. I had pieces that I made when I was in high school in a museum in Portland. I just couldn't convince myself that I could make a living. The amount of time it takes to produce a truly good piece is staggering and if I made it and couldn't sell it I would miss my mortgage payment. In the end I pussed out and got a job that means nothing to me but a paycheck. Life's a bitch isn't it?

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
If I could go back to 18 knowing what I know today I would do it in a second as there are some things I would do different, but having the option to have $30M then I would take the money for sure!

If I went back to 18 then I could risk the chance I may have never met my wife so I would never take that chance. To be able to have my wife and $30M, yes I will take that option. Although there are things I would have changed growing up, I am happy with my life. Hell, even given the choice of no money or go back to 18, the more I think about it I would stick with my life today.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

The past is the past.

Yup. Especially I don't think any "mistakes" I made were so incredibly bad that need a redo. And, that darn timeline thing. According to Star Trek, I might not have met my wife, if I went back. Razz

Yeah, give me that 30 mil, I can do a lot of good with it.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30 mil!!!

There are really only a few things I have regrets over

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
That dot com stock bubble would sure be fun to invest in when you know who wins and loses.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Given what I know now, I'd go back. I could have far more than 30 million by the time I get back to my age now. Plus I think I would enjoy life more and worry less the second time around.....and I'd build Mrs DF a carport instead. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I'll take the cash.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
While going back to 18 might be a fun thing, there are things that cannot be undone. I'd take the cash and see what I could do with the knowledge of those and the money to fix some future issues.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

The past is the past.

Absolutely! Screw the past.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
$$$$$$

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I'd go back not to correct mistakes just to relive it. Well that and with what I know 30 million would be chump change. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd take the $. "No regrats".

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Easy- the money.

What I've done in the past has made me who I am today, and I'm ok with that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I regret the last 10 years of my life, I am 30, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post