SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Take $30M or go Back to When You Were 18 yrs old to Correct Your Mistakes - Which Would You Choose?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take $30M or go Back to When You Were 18 yrs old to Correct Your Mistakes - Which Would You Choose? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
A friend at work posed the question earlier:

Which option would you take - $30M or the ability to return to 18 yrs old and "re-do" life?

My first, and only thought was "maybe those "mistakes"" in life were really not mistakes but just learning experiences.

You see, I am one of those cursed with a very, very high IQ. Where I think something is, or should be, common knowledge, gets me in trouble with the reality some things are not so common. Me personally, I would not accept the $30M for fear of where the sudden wealth may lead but then again I might also not change those decisions I perceive as a "mistake" for fear of where my life might not be.

How about you - what might you do?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Knowing what I know today?

Back in time.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
$30 million please. I'll take cash or certified check.

The past is the past.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Knowing what I know today?

Back in time.

Bingo!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I love thinking about this stuff, its fun to daydream. But there was a pretty convoluted series of events that lead to the birth of my two boys and I wouldn't give them up (most of the time) for anything. I can't imagine a world that doesn't have them in it. So, for me, its easy and "Gimme the cash!" (said in the tone of that loser from the 5th Element Bruce Willis schools shortly after uttering that).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting question.

There are countless mistakes that I regret to this day, but most were relatively minor and there would always be the risk of unintended consequences in changing the past. I’m pretty content with my life now; those things I wish were different today couldn’t be changed by changing the past; and $30M would be nice even with the time I have left.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
$30M. I've made no mistakes and still here I am. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The $30 million. The mistakes I've made in life I can live with.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Well if I know current stock prices it's back in time. I could make the $30M.

While life is full of choices and there are some I might change I'm happy with the things I've done. $30M now I could retire and see and do the things I can't now because I need a full-time job to pay for my needs and wants.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Gimme the $30 Mil baby. I've made a ton of mistakes but I learned from most of them and that's what life is all about. Got smart enough to make a nice life for myself and find a great woman after finding the wrong ones way too many times. At this point, the money would just make this great life that much more comfortable, pay for my boys college, set him up for a better future, allow my lady and I to travel more and work less.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Take the 30 mil. Our scars are who we are.

I'll take $3 Mill for new money spending, split the other $27M to a few different brokers. Tell one to keep it safe, one to grow it conservatively and the other to MAKE IT GROW. Live off the dividends.

Without those mistakes I'd spend all 30 within a year.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty ok where I'm at, so I wouldn't risk changing the past in case it screws up the good stuff I have now. I'd take the cash and donate most of it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's not just that there aren't any mistakes I really want to correct. I just have absolutely no interest in going back to being 18 and starting over again. I've lived my life, I'm looking forward to retirement and the end. I don't want a mulligan.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
How about give me 15 million...and let me go back to 30..

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash.

Not worth $30M to go back six years Big Grin

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Well, if I can time travel back with everything I currently know then making 30 million would be easy. But if that part isn't true, then I'll take the money now. Sure, I've made mistakes but none Id sacrifice 30 million bucks for.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Take the 30 mil. Our scars are who we are.

I'll take $3 Mill for new money spending, split the other $27M to a few different brokers. Tell one to keep it safe, one to grow it conservatively and the other to MAKE IT GROW. Live off the dividends.

Without those mistakes I'd spend all 30 within a year.

How about a time machine, lets take $100K, go back to ~1978, invest it all in Apple. Then come back to today and sell the stock.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:...I just have absolutely no interest in going back to being 18 and starting over again. I've lived my life, I'm looking forward to retirement and the end. I don't want a mulligan.

I happen to believe we move on after we "depart" here. We take our experiences, our character, lessons learned, our relationships. But we don't take anything of material value or wealth.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Got my Sports Almanac right here. Fire up the Flux Capacitor, Doc Brown....

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to go back to 18. I made a wrong career choice 20 years ago and I've grown to regret it in the past few years. I always wanted to be a master wood worker and when I was younger I was very good at it. Now 20 years have past and I haven't touched a table saw once. Even if I started now there is 20 years worth of experience and wisdom I've missed out on. The more I live life the more I wished I would have chased after that dream. I've also grown to realize that money really isn't everything, 30 million would be nice but it would not satisfy me.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post