SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Virgin Islands or Barbados (update pg 2)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Virgin Islands or Barbados (update pg 2) Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keenguy211:
We were just a both and Barbados was just beautiful although we didn't do any snorkeling there like we did in the Virgin Islands. Lots to do on Barbados. Good luck.

Damn.

The things that brings out the lurkers.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Thank you to everyone for the replies thus far. I had considered St Barts but flights seemed tricky to find. I also considered Bermuda but apparently November is their down time. And my wife was worried about the cost of food at the Ritz so hearing about 18 dollar drinks just about eliminates that from contention.

quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Maybe the answer lies in whether you both drink and like to party Wink ?

yes and yes... That's why I was initially dead set on Barbados because it seems like the more exciting place in terms of night life, but the Ritz is offering a helluva good deal right now and it piqued my interest!

My wife is still trying to go to Jamaica but we've been there twice and I would rather not go back. I've seen just about everything there is to see and I have no interest in turning down drug dealers all day.

Then you should definitely do the all inclusive..they're geared for the partying, drinking, etc! My husband doesn't drink, and I don't drink enough to make up for him Wink.
I've gotten to that point where the way I'm treated makes a difference in how I perceive an experience.
I've stayed at a Ritz, got the limo, was waited on hand and foot.. and I realize I appreciated that more than the cheaper drinks and all inclusive attitude.. this thought process was all in retrospect, after turning over the time I spent there in my head.. I've been a number of different places (not nearly as many as some) and the higher end I went, typically the better I was treated, and the more I appreciated the "experience"..
Some folks don't need or want that, and that's cool. For me, it accentuated things..kind of like a really great meal ruined by a shitty waiter, an average meal glowed for me if I had an attentive caring server (or someone who could pull off the appearance of caring without me noticing).

Either way, you're bound to have a great time, cuz it's your anniversary! Live it!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
^^^ "my pleasure"

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
St. Thomas is basically Brooklyn with Palm trees and cruise ships. Barbados is a beautiful Island with great people, it's worth the premium.

Don't paint the entire USVI with the same brush. St. John couldn't be more different than the other two. When I go back to St. John it will be through the BVI so I don't have to experience St. Thomas twice again.

Blackmore, you are so perfectly correct! I should have specified St Thomas, USVI. I could not agree with you more. Thank you for clarifying!

You're welcome, and excuse me for not saying "please". I get a little defensive about St. John since it's so different.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
wherever you go, just promise me that if there is a US Coast Guard or Navy vessel tied up in port, go see the ship and ask where the sailors are not allowed to go (trust me they have a map of "out of limits" areas)
they are usually the most fun places to go and sit and watch the show....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we settled on Barbados. I was thinking about Belize but it seems pretty shady there according to the State Department.

Either way we'll have fun and I can't wait. Our first vacation without the kids since getting married.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we settled on Barbados. I was thinking about Belize but it seems pretty shady there according to the State Department.

Either way we'll have fun and I can't wait. Our first vacation without the kids since getting married.

If you're not a hardcore diver, Belize is a complete waste of time. Belize is no less safe than St. Thomas. There is nothing much to do on land and the resorts are not that nice and the country is a dump. I lived there for 6 months and have been there since then. St. Maartin/St. Barts would be your best choice.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone was interested.

We ended up going to neither Barbados or USVI. I missed out on the deals at Sandals so by the time I went to book they only had the rooms well out of our price range. I scrambled and picked a place in Cancun that I heard was really nice. It's called Excellence Playa Mujeres and everything was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better trip. I think I am still sweating out tequila and I gained about 10 lbs from all of the food. All inclusives are dangerous for people like myself who like to eat and drink.

If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced resort it's worth checking out. I also flew Spirit Airlines and had no problems at all (it helps that I get free bags too). I know both Cancun and Spirit can have shady reputations, but we had zero problems.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've always had fun times in Mexico. Only passed through Cancun on the way a little further south.

Glad you had a great time.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
If I ever decide to get back to the Caribbean I will definitely be revisiting Carriacou. I was there with the USS John L Hall(FFG-32)in August 1987 for the annual Carriacou Regatta Festival. It was AWESOME!

I'm not much for the resort thing, but it sounds like Barbados would be the way to go with that. I really don't remember much about Barbados due to my alcohol induced amnesia (which ended heavy drinking for me) but what I do recall I enjoyed very much.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
BVI > USVI

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
If I ever decide to get back to the Caribbean I will definitely be revisiting Carriacou. I was there with the USS John L Hall(FFG-32)in August 1987 for the annual Carriacou Regatta Festival. It was AWESOME!

Not to say otherwise but alot can change in 30 years. Look at Acapolco.

To the OP:
Glad you enjoyed it, had a friend stay there on his honeymoon and loved Excellence.

SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:

Not to say otherwise but alot can change in 30 years. Look at Acapolco.

To the OP:
Glad you enjoyed it, had a friend stay there on his honeymoon and loved Excellence.

Based on our visit there this past winter, I would wager not a lot has changed. Absolutely wonderful place. Not a resort place for sure. If I were to move to the Carribean, this would be high on my list.

Unspoiled Carribean would describe it.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I'd say if anyone is thinking about buy a place in the Caribbean now is the time to buy. There are plenty of people who have lost their business and need to sell.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ive stayed at the Ritz in St. Thomas. There were 4 of us for 3 days. We got "quiet hours" called on us at 9pm for eating dinner on our balcony, we werent even drinking/drunk then. My friend happened to have the same thing happen to him this year.

Drinks are also expensive, our tab for food and booze for 3 days was 2700 bucks and it was a corporate event where most of the dinners and drinks was paid for. 18 dollar drinks are everywhere.

Ive never been to Barbados but weighing cost and atmosphere at the Ritz I would go to Barbados.

There's no way I'd vacation somewhere with "quiet hours".

I'd be livid.

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:

We ended up going to neither Barbados or USVI. I missed out on the deals at Sandals so by the time I went to book they only had the rooms well out of our price range. I scrambled and picked a place in Cancun that I heard was really nice. It's called Excellence Playa Mujeres and everything was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better trip. I think I am still sweating out tequila and I gained about 10 lbs from all of the food. All inclusives are dangerous for people like myself who like to eat and drink.

If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced resort it's worth checking out. I also flew Spirit Airlines and had no problems at all (it helps that I get free bags too). I know both Cancun and Spirit can have shady reputations, but we had zero problems.

The Excellence Playa Mujeres is THE all inclusive resort to go to in Cancun. Glad you enjoyed it, that place is amazing!

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s awesome! Awesome, too, that you were able to be flexible with your plans. I’ve never personally had any trouble in Mexico, but it’s been years since I’ve been on the mainland.
This year when I returned to Cozumel, I was actually a little taken aback at how touristy and crowded it’s gotten. Must’ve accidentally hit a busy week. I hadn’t noticed in the past couple years, but this year it really struck me. It was the other tourists who were being shady to each other, though, not the locals.

Glad you and your wife had a great time!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Ive stayed at the Ritz in St. Thomas. There were 4 of us for 3 days. We got "quiet hours" called on us at 9pm for eating dinner on our balcony, we werent even drinking/drunk then. My friend happened to have the same thing happen to him this year.

Drinks are also expensive, our tab for food and booze for 3 days was 2700 bucks and it was a corporate event where most of the dinners and drinks was paid for. 18 dollar drinks are everywhere.

Ive never been to Barbados but weighing cost and atmosphere at the Ritz I would go to Barbados.

There's no way I'd vacation somewhere with "quiet hours".

I'd be livid.

well it was a free trip, and we got 3300 in room credits. A corporate thing but ya, I couldnt believe it.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Right on.

And I admit, I'm probably an edge case, but I eat dinner around those hours (8-Midnight) when *not* on vacation, so I sure as shit will be eating later and on the deck with a view or some such when on an actual vacation. It's like hotels with pools... I won't stay at any of them that closes the pool or hot tub early. If I can't be in the hot tub at 2am or the like, they may as well not have one as far as I'm concerned. Not everyone has kids/keeps kids hours.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Agree. Usually a 7pm eater, used to be 8. Glad those days are over!