SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    50 Years Ago - Apollo Moon Mission
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 Years Ago - Apollo Moon Mission Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Comet24–is that a projection, or what? Please explain or post link.

We are in DC this week, planning on going to the Udvar-Hazy Center, but may go to Mall as well.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My college room mate decided to serve his country and was on board a Navy ship then. I was taking summer courses at another college in St Paul, MN. I watched the landing on a TV in the student lounge, and wondered if my room mate was watching as well. Turns out he was, courtesy of a linkup the Navy arranged.

He later completed his undergrad and dental college on the GI Bill, then got a D/C in the Army, retiring as a Brigadier General.

I bought a pair of matching commemorative T-Shirts, a map of the world with the US highlighted as the only country that landed men on the Moon. He should get his tomorrow (he lives in a different state), along with a note from me, honoring the Moon Landing as well as our friendship that has lasted more than these 50 years.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I am all things Apollo.

Love Buzz punching the punk challenging him.

If you guys have not watched the film Apollo 11, released earlier this year, it is worth it. The one directed by Todd Douglas Miller with all archived footage. Available on Amazon now.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1771 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m working the National mall Apollo event, providing support to the production team who are doing it, it is 3D projection. Group is from the UK, called studio 57. I have seen the completed production on a lap top, as well as the dry runs at night. All I can say is if you are in the area it would be worth while to put up with the crowds to see it. It’s amazing and with the audio, video, and other parts it’s as close as any one will come to what the actual launch was. I heard part of them audio and effects, ground actually shakes. The static Sat V was lit today from 930-1130 and will be thru Thursday. On the 19th/20th at 930/1030/1130 pm then production will take place. We have an “Apollo village” set up with numerous exhibits and such as well. I’m sitting on mall, waiting for the LEGO lunar lander as I type this at 0430 hrs. I have set up pics and some dry run video I can forward to someone to post as I never seem to get it right on the forum. A little fact regarding it, a resolution was passed to utilize the monument in this way and the very next resolution was passed stating we will never again use a monument to in this was again. Sorry about the structure of my post as I’ve been working 16 hrs days since the 8th on this project, so I’m a bit loopy.

Posts: 88 | Registered: December 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

We are in DC this week, planning on going to the Udvar-Hazy Center, but may go to Mall as well.

I looked it up for you.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog...unch-onto-washington

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Projection. Udvar-Hazy Center is definitely worth a visit.

The full show is Fri and Sat night on the mall. I was down there last Sat night and they had a lot of it setup. I really want to see it but have a very busy weekend and it's supposed to be crazy hot.

quote:
On Friday and Saturday, the museum will also host a 17-minute show "Apollo 50: Go for the Moon," which combines "full-motion projection-mapping artwork on the monument and archival footage on screens on the National Mall to recreate the launch of Apollo 11," according to a press release from the Air and Space Museum.

The free show runs three times on both nights: 9:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m.

You can check out the free show at the viewing areas on the National Mall in front of the Smithsonian Castle between 9th and 12th streets. The viewing area will be outfitted with full sound, projection screens and a 40-foot-wide recreation of the countdown clock that was at the Kennedy Space Center.

More info

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember watching Neil Armstrong stepping off of the LEM with my family. My father, a grizzled WWII navy vet was shedding tears.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Interesting bit of trivia about Apollo.
#10 set the all time speed record, just a bit over 11 at 24,791 MPH.
The trip still took about 4 days each way although not all at that speed (the speed required to leave earth's gravity). They also had to slow down and go around the back/dark side of the moon before landing and get into the landing module.
Michael Collins stayed back in the command module and orbited the moon 30 times but never set foot on the surface. He said he drank coffee watching the other two walk on the moon.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I was only 5 when the first landing occurred but I definitely remember other moon launches. I grew up about 30 miles south of Cape Canaveral and I can remember watching the initial lift-off on TV then going out back and watching those Saturn V's pass beside the house on their way up. The roar was incredible - every window in the house shook.

My father worked at the Cape for 30+ years - first with North American/Rockwell for the moon launches and then with Lockheed for the Shuttle. The moon launch/space culture was a big thing in our house - I remember him bringing home super-detailed models of the Saturn V, the lunar landers, stickers & patches for each launch, tiles from the shuttle, and lots of food and other items that had been into space but weren't used. Great stuff and an incredible accomplishment.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An amazing accomplishment that affected the whole world! NEXT....MARS!! For those who don't share in the accomplishments of mankind, your planet of choice....Uranus.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I was 7yrs old, and simply ate up with astronauts, the moon, NASA, I can’t imagine I missed anything involving a rocket.

Except landing on the moon. I fell asleep and my folks could not wake me. They swear to this day, they truly tried.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5147 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
FYI

TV Specials recounting the 1969 Landing
quote:
The 1969 moon landing turned an achievement seen only in the imagination and sci-fi movies into a most improbable television event, a live broadcast starring Neil Armstrong and a desolate landscape.

The astounding images from more than 200,000 miles away mesmerized viewers, a feat TV hopes to replicate leading up to the Apollo 11 mission's 50th anniversary on July 20.

There's a galaxy of programs about the science, the people and the sheer wonder of the voyage, including documentaries with footage and audio not made public before and, of course, modern special effects to make it all the more vivid.

Among the highlights (all times EDT):

— "Apollo: Missions to the Moon," National Geographic, 9 p.m. Sunday. The two-hour film by Tom Jennings uses a mix of TV and radio news accounts, home movies, NASA footage and previously unaired mission control audio recordings to revisit all the manned Apollo missions.

— "The Day We Walked on the Moon," 9 p.m. Sunday, Smithsonian Channel. A by-the-minute description of the day of the moon mission by those who were part of it, including astronaut Michael Collins, and those who viewed it from afar, such as Queen guitarist and scientist Brian May.

— "American Experience: Chasing the Moon," PBS and pbs.org, 9 p.m. July 8-10 (check local listings). Robert Stone's six-hour documentary, narration-free and using only archival footage, tracks the space race from its start to the lunar landing and beyond, examining the scientific innovation, politics, personal drama and media spectacle that propelled it.

— "From the Earth to the Moon," HBO platforms starting July 15. The 1998 miniseries is back with its original visual effects replaced by computer-generated ones based, according to HBO, on NASA reference models. The cast includes Sally Field, Gary Cole and Tom Hanks, who also produced the drama available on HBO Go, HBO Now and HBO On Demand. A HBO channel marathon airing of all 12 episodes begins at 8:45 a.m. July 20.

— "8 Days: To the Moon and Back," PBS, 9 p.m. July 17 (check local listings). Co-produced by PBS and BBC Studios, the new film tracks the mission from countdown to splashdown with a combination of recently declassified audio, interviews with the Apollo 11 crew, mission re-enactments, archival TV news footage and photographs.

— "NASA's Giant Leaps: Past and Future," NASA TV and Discovery Science Channel, 1 p.m. July 19. A salute to the Apollo astronauts and to the space agency's future missions, broadcast from the Kennedy Space Center and with segments from the Johnson Space Center in Houston and the Museum of Flight in Seattle, where the Apollo 11 command module is on display.

— "Apollo: The Forgotten Films," Discovery, 8 p.m. July 20. Footage from NASA, the National Archives, news reports and other sources provides a behind-the-scenes look at how engineers, scientists and astronauts achieved the moon landing goal set earlier in the decade by President John F. Kennedy.

— "The National Symphony Orchestra Pops presents Apollo 11: A Fiftieth Anniversary," PBS, 9 p.m. July 20. NASA, the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the symphony collaborated for this musical and visual tribute to the moon landing, with appearances by Pharrell Williams, Natasha Bedingfield and LeVar Burton. Meredith Vieira and Adam Savage host.

— "Apollo 11," CNN, 9 p.m. July 20. The documentary film from director-producer Todd Douglas Miller recounts the mission from the Saturn V rocket's transport to its launch pad to the astronauts' return to Earth, using newly discovered 70mm footage, extensive audio recordings and other digitized and restored material from the National Archives and NASA.

— "Moon Landing Live," BBC America, 9 p.m. July 20. News archives from around the world and NASA footage are used to recount the mission's ambition and achievement and how it captured international attention.

— "Confessions from Space: Apollo," Discovery, 10 p.m. July 20. The program with the tabloid-sounding title gathers six astronauts who took part in Apollo program missions to jointly share their memories and insights. Among them are Apollo 11's Collins and Buzz Aldrin and Charles Duke of Apollo 16.

I'm looking forward to checking out the version of "From the Earth to the Moon" & "Confessions from Space: Apollo". The full list of Apollo Astronauts: Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins, Walt Cunningham, Charlie Duke, Fred Haise, Jim Lovell, Jack Schmitt, Rusty Schweickart, Tom Stafford, & Al Worden. The renewed "From the Earth to the Moon" will be interested to see with the enhanced color & CGI.

Also NASA TV has a list of upcoming events. List is edited to keep it Apollo 11 related.
quote:
July 18, Thursday
7 a.m., 2 p.m., 10 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Moon 101 Series - Episode 4: The Crust of the Moon (Public Channel)
8 a.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Crew Interviews (June 9, 1989) with Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins (All Channels)
9 a.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary – The Flight of Apollo 11 (All Channels)
10 a.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary – Documentary: 1969-1989 (All Channels)
4 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Documentary: For All Mankind (Public Channel)
5 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Documentary: Moonwalk One (All Channels)
7 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary – In the Shadow of the Moon (All Channels)

July 19, Friday
7 a.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Moon 101 Series - Episode 4: The Crust of the Moon (Public Channel)
8 a.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Mission Control: Human Spaceflight (All Channels)
10 a.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Documentary: For All Mankind (All Channels)
1 p.m. – NASA’s Giant Leaps: Past and Future – Celebrating Apollo 50th as We Go Forward to the Moon (All Channels)
3 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - STEM: Forward to the Moon (All Channels)
6 p.m, 9 p.m.. – Replay - NASA’s Giant Leaps: Past and Future - Celebrating Apollo 50th as We Go Forward to the Moon (All Channels)
8 p.m. – Replay - Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - STEM: Forward to the Moon (All Channels)

July 20, Saturday
7 a.m., 2 p.m., 10 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Moon 101 Series - Episode 4: The Crust of the Moon (Public Channel)
8 a.m. – Replay - NASA’s Giant Leaps: Past and Future - Celebrating Apollo 50th as we Go Forward to the Moon (All Channels)
10 a.m. – Replay - NASA’s Giant Leaps: Past and Future - Celebrating Apollo 50th as We Go Forward to the Moon (All Channels)
3 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Mission Control: Human Spaceflight (All Channels)
4:02 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary – Replay of CBS Live Broadcast of the Landing on the Moon (Public Channel)
10:38 p.m. - Apollo 11 50th Anniversary – Replay of the Historic Apollo 11 Moonwalk (All Channels)

July 21, Sunday
7 a.m., 2 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Moon 101 Series - Episode 4: The Crust of the Moon (Public Channel)
8 a.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary – The Flight of Apollo 11 (All Channels)
9 p.m. - NASA’s Giant Leaps: Past and Future - Celebrating Apollo 50th as We Go Forward to the Moon (All Channels)

July 23, Tuesday
3 p.m. – NASA Science Live: 50 Years of Apollo (All Channels)

July 24, Wednesday
12:45 p.m. – Apollo 11 50th Anniversary – Command Module Recovery with remarks from President Richard Nixon (All Channels)

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Watched the Apollo 11 movie in 4k ($10 Apple/MoviesAnywhere) and it gave a brand new perspective. They really did a great job cleaning up old footage.

I would love to know today’s equivalent of all the rows and rows of computers and instruments shown from the launch. Probably no more than a few desktops.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
*Sigh* I'm stuck in Israel the 20th

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
APOD has a large high resolution panorama taken by Armstrong...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
My dad asked me, “Do you believe those boys walked on the moon?” I replied that I was pretty sure they did and explained why.
In the Sprng of 1969 I was in the custom color formulating business for the plastic industry. I called on one of the molders in the Dallas area and noticed what looked like part of a gold bubble. I asked the guy how he was “coloring” it and he said it wasn’t done with pigments. It was gold plated. Before I could ask what it was, he waved my off saying, “I can’t tell you what it is.”
Less than three months later Mr. Armstrong stepped out onto the moon with one of those gold visors on his hat.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...xoT975Fb6q6l_nKUEuqw

Help imbedding? Thanks.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
One of my very first father/son events. I don't remember it, I was 2! I kinda got a warm fuzzy when my dad told me he got me up in the middle of the night to watch it with him.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Very interesting three part series on YouTube by Bill Whittle Part 1

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
It was my 3rd day in the Army and they let us watch on a tv in a day room or something. Basic had not yet started.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post