SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    50 Years Ago - Apollo Moon Mission
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 Years Ago - Apollo Moon Mission Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
The week celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission that successfully landed an earth man on the moon - and returned him safely!

I graduated high school in 1969, earlier that year. I remember staying up all night during the earlier mission to circle the moon, glued to a little 9-inch black & white TV, tense with anticipation, waiting for communications to be re-established as the capsule exited the dark side of the moon.

With her parents, a girlfriend and I watched the landing. Despite my restless and sometimes irrational teen years, the space program had me captivated. For years, I remember telling people that rather than donate a dollar (or three, as it came to be) to the presidential campaign on my taxes, I'd welcome that offer if it were applied to the space program!

Many of you are too young to remember this moment. For many, myself included, this was man's crowning achievement.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_p...ssions/apollo11.html

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Oh, if you happen to be in the D.C. area, you might make an exception to the "not visiting that cesspool" choice this week, as there will be a celebration of the Apollo mission and moon landing on the Mall:

https://washington.org/event/a...stival-national-mall

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I was absolutely enthralled with the early space program, especially after Sputnik was launched. I remember watching all of the Redstone, Vanguard and Atlas launches. Watching the Apollo 11 mission was nerve racking. Watched the landing and first step with my parents on my TV because theirs crapped out that morning. It was the most exciting thing I'd ever watched on a TV and still is I think.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I remember being at home and watching the launch

my parents recognized at 10 years old I was a geek and they allowed me to skip school if they thought I would learn something important

my desire at aged 10 to become an astronaut is why I'm an engineer, pilot and mathematician today

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
No human endeavor before or since has been as important as this reaching out of our home to another world, albeit one that has never been repeated by another other so-called 'super-power' since.

'For all Mankind'.

Best words ever spoken.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Way before my time, but I’m absolutely obsessed with everything NASA/Moon. It absolutely blows my mind that this actually happened.

The balls that EVERYONE involved had were bigger than the moon.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine who worked in the Master Control room at Huston as one of the flight controllers told me that for those missions to succeed over 15000 separate operations on board the rocket and capsules had to go right.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I was married and in the Navy. My youngest child was born nine days after the moon landing.

I used to get up around three in the morning to watch the launches starting in 1961 when I was a teenager. I wanted to be an astronaut and fly in space.

I was the ship's liaison with NASA for two later manned spacecraft recoveries. When I looked inside the capsules after they were on the ship, I decided there was no way I was going up in one of them.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Despite my interest in the program, I grew weary of the long wait between landing & stepping out on the moon. My oldest was but a few months old, & I took a welcome break by going crappie fishing at a local lake.

Returning home with a full limit, I was in time to catch the descent down the ladder onto the lunar surface, as well as change and feed my young son.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I was in my mid teens and remember the space race as it started. I watched it on a small black & white TV on a fuzzy picture while Walter Cronkite narrated on the one channel we were able to receive.
For many it was when the Soviets sent Sputnik and then the first guy, Yuri Gagarin into orbit before we could do it. There was a race for a while and it seemed like was for who would be able to determine the future of mankind.
Clearly there would be military repercussions as atomic testing, the Vietnam war and other happenings made it clear.
Luckily we were soon to pull ahead of them, never to look back. We pulled it off without them being able to respond, then did it again and again.
I suspect people under about 45 don't really understand the complete picture of how important this was in the 60's and how difficult. We now carry around more computing power in our pockets on phones than many of those large machines NASA had and much of the work was done with slide rules and on paper by hand.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/...e-apollo-11-landing/

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was 7 when we landed on the moon, and was also enthralled by it, as I was by the space program for years afterwords. (I still am, really.)

My uncle was a NASA scientist - not a rocket scientist, but a researcher into astrophysics. He always sent us packets of press materials for space missions - the official photos and other press materials. We loved it. I wish we still had it, but it is all gone.

It is one mans' great achievements.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I remember watching it in elementary school, albeit about 25 years later.

Always been fascinated with it, Saturn V & the Shuttle.

Started college in Aerospace Engineering, but it wasn't to be.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15251 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
It absolutely blows my mind that this actually happened.

The balls that EVERYONE involved had were bigger than the moon.

I feel this way. The odds against it seem insurmountable to me. I was 11 at the time.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
In honor of the 50th anniversary, here's video of Buzz Aldrin clocking a nutjob moon denier right in the face.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I remember that.

I would not usually advocate punching anyone in the nose, but once he called Buzz a coward and a liar, he absolutely had it coming. It was a nice compact punch, too.

Good for Aldrin.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I am very fortunate to live just a few miles from the Udvar-Hazy annex of the National Air & Space Museum.

There is a whole wing dedicated to the space program, and includes some Mercury and Gemini items, the shuttle Discovery, and for the first time in 13 years, Neil Armstrong's space suit from the moon landing.

A great place to visit. And if you go after 4:00pm, parking (the only charge) is free.

posted Hide Post
I was sixteen and on a family vacation in Wisconsin. Several of us teens watched it on the black and white t.v. at another guest's house at the resort. Even took our minds off each other for a couple hours. Momentous.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
One of mankind's greatest achievements.

I was fortunate to tour the MOCR-2 (Mission Operations Control Room -2) this past week, from where they controlled Apollo 8-17. The detail and restoration leave it nearly identical as it was when Apollo 11 landed and it was simply AMAZING to see firsthand.

Restoring Apollo Mission Control Center

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Saturn rocket for the Appolo missions on the Washington Monument.

not my picture.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I watched the events in Tehran, Iran. USAF had sent me there a few months earlier for duty, and the Iranian government had just finished installation of a satellite TV network--a large part of the Iranian population was able to watch the landing. (Of course, this was while the Shah was still on the throne.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post