SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US murders concentrated in 5 percent of counties
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US murders concentrated in 5 percent of counties Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...ercent-counties.html

The Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) said in a new report that there is a “geographical concentration” of murders, with 68 percent of killings occurring in just 5 percent of the nation’s counties. The homicides also tend to be concentrated to relatively small pockets of those counties

More than half of last year’s murders occurred in only 2 percent of the nation’s counties

One of the most interesting findings in the report is that areas with the highest gun ownership rates have low murder rates.

above pic is concentration of murders per 100,000 population total number murders

blue spikes are where Clinton had the highest number of votes over Donald Trump (pic not in linked article/ from other source)

yellow circles show concentration of illegal aliens (pic not in linked article / from other source)

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What a shock, the biggest cities have the highest murder rates.

In other news, water is wet.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...ercent-counties.html

The Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) said in a new report that there is a “geographical concentration” of murders, with 68 percent of killings occurring in just 5 percent of the nation’s counties. The homicides also tend to be concentrated to relatively small pockets of those counties

More than half of last year’s murders occurred in only 2 percent of the nation’s counties.
Now for the real shocker, I wonder what the ethnic make up is of those small handful of counties? Bet I can guess.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
At the OP link there is a set of slides w more info

"The 2014 US murder rate was 4.4 per 100,000 people"

"If the worst 5% of counties are removed, the US murder rate would be 2.56 per 100,000."

"What a shock, the biggest cities have the highest murder rates"

Why aren't you shocked ? or at least curious why.

example: US murder rate per 100,000 pop = 4.4

Baltimore murder rate per 100,000 pop = 50

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
People in North and South Dakota don't be killifying each other too much, you know?

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Durham NC is trying to run with the big cities I see.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Now for the real shocker, I wonder what the ethnic make up is of those small handful of counties? Bet I can guess.

Nope, not buying any raffle tickets to guess this.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
People in North and South Dakota don't be killifying each other too much, you know?

Clearly, you've never seen Fargo.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoo hoo Shelby County (Memphis), TN is in the house!!

We are on a strong track to comp if not surpass last year. Its a team effort. Bloods, Crips, Vice Lords, Gangster Disciples - everyone chips in and does their part.

http://homicides.commercialappeal.com/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Lake Michigan looks pretty safe. Well, maybe not so along the shore line.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
King and Pierce counties here in WA state ... statistics are increasing as the sanctuary city, homeless and addicts safe places and those who want which they don't have, increase in numbers.

8 years ago ... not so much

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Is the killing of a miscreant in justifiable self-defense considered a murder? Murder is such an ugly term.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

To be fair if whites hadn't invented the gun and the Chinese didn't invent gun powder... Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

To be fair if whites hadn't invented the gun and the Chinese didn't invent gun powder... Big Grin

I'm pretty sure Cain killed Abel without a gun..

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Whoo hoo Shelby County (Memphis), TN is in the house!!

We are on a strong track to comp if not surpass last year. Its a team effort. Bloods, Crips, Vice Lords, Gangster Disciples - everyone chips in and does their part.

http://homicides.commercialappeal.com/

Kinda makes me tear up a little, seein' how the home folk do us proud every year. In this specific category.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Yeah, uuum, no.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
I'd like to suggest that the problem isn't guns, its Democrats with guns.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the killing of a miscreant in justifiable self-defense considered a murder? Murder is such an ugly term.

Yes I found that offensive. I prefer demised or deadified. Or maybe third world language such as liquidated, eliminated or disappeared. That would please me. We just need to "REACH OUT MORE."

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Here's the page to this research on Lott's website, Crime Prevention Research Center: Murders In U.S. Very Concentrated: 54% Of U.S. Counties In 2014 Had Zero Murders, 2% Of Counties Have 51% Of The Murders

Here's a higher resolution version of Lott's map (Very Large Image: 6,900 x 5,025 pixels; 8.8 MB): Map: U.S. Murders by County

My commentary on this. While this is enlightening in some ways, it's not surprising. I'm somewhat disappointed in Lott, in that, he presents the raw murder numbers in this report/map, and not the murder rates (per population) in each county. Had he done the latter, more valid comparisons could have been done.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah, San Bernardino County is right between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Maybe those poor guys oughtta just change the name to "Poland County" or something.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post