SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good, safe, long lasting, dog chew suggestion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good, safe, long lasting, dog chew suggestion Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Molly needs a good chew?
What do your pups like?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Mine loves antlers. They last a long time, and they're natural. No chemicals in them.
Look up Hodges Antlers on Amazon.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Pick any two.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Our Rottie loves her Nyla Bones, we keep a few around the house and maybe have to throw away a nub every couple of months

https://www.chewy.com/nylabone...lavored-dog/dp/39407

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
These are safe for the teeth and last a long time. The three on the top row have worked the best for us and the dogs really like them.

https://www.westpaw.com/dog-toys/chew

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lab ended up cracking 2 molars on cow bones and antlers granted she was older when that happened. Either way I still had to pay to get them removed. Rawhides only after that.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Too many stories of rawhide issues for us.

Ours get Nylabones. They have other Kong brand balls, some with squeakers that they get if we're home to keep an eye out for chewed off pieces etc.

A Kong filled with PB and frozen is great for outside.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Good article on the topic.

https://www.preventivevet.com/...ly-dangerous-to-dogs

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
Good article on the topic.

https://www.preventivevet.com/...ly-dangerous-to-dogs

And this :
https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ra...r-bad-for-your-dog#1

It really is hard to find a safe chew for your pet. I have 12 dogs and I am always searching for a good safe product that I can give my dogs, that they will enjoy, and not adversely affect them.

Another issue is country of origin for many dog treats. I do not buy any treats form outside the US. Due to hidden and not disclosed chemicals thise countries use in treats.

I don't just grab something to toss to my dogs. I realize I have not answered the OP's question, my advice is to find a good made in the US chew, and stick with that.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
https://choobeedog.com/choobees/maxx-4/

Last I knew they were made in USA, but that was several years ago.

On the Nyla products, some are made in USA, some in China.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
No Hide chews. They don’t last though. She loved those Red Barn peanut butter filled bones but we had to stop after she broke a tooth. She had quite a collection of empty ones.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Our dog likes to carry around one of those ropes with knots in them. He doesn't chew on it much...just likes to tote it around.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of dogs, typically large hunting type breeds often mixed heritage. They sleep outside, come when they are called, and are easy going. You dump some biscuits in the bowl and walk away and they're fine.

Wife wanted a smaller dog after the last Irish Wolfhound passed. I'm like: no. But eventually we compromised and got a Decker Terrier. I've never seen anything quite like it. Stands only 28" tall and weighs 30lbs max. Yet she will jump into the next door neighbors yard right over their fence to play with 2 full sized male German Shepards. The shepards haven't figured out how to get over it yet, but when she's had enough she jumps back out. Anyway, this dog goes for carrion like there is no tomorrow.

If I go for a hike she'll prowl back and forth and invariably fish out some carcass or bone pile. She'll grab what she can and stop to nosh as I hike ahead, then once she's chewed up enough rib bone or whatever, come running after. Caught up, she'll stop to nosh.

I gave up not giving her chicken bones after I watched her eat a full seagull carcass one day, and then go out the next morning and after a leisure sniff around, eat the 3 pin feathers off of the wings that she'd somehow missed the day before. So I'm saying that it's stunning what she'll eat.

With that said: she doesn't chew on rawhide treats. Nope. She eats Greenies, and chicken jerky treats all day, but not rawhide. When I go to work if I offer a rawhide, she'll grab it as I kick her outside, but it's not chewed on during the day. What I find really helps her pass the time is to put out a bird feeder. The squirells come and it's game on. All day. She'll lie in wait.

Anyway, these dogs are hunting machines and evidently the rawhide is boring in comparison. What she loves though, is the Stewart Freeze Dried Treats Beef Liver. Will do anything for it.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Too many stories of rawhide issues for us.

Ours get Nylabones. They have other Kong brand balls, some with squeakers that they get if we're home to keep an eye out for chewed off pieces etc.

A Kong filled with PB and frozen is great for outside.

Rawhide can get wet and turn to a sheet of leather which the dog will swallow and choke or get a blockage and die.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Mine loves antlers. They last a long time, and they're natural.

Yep. Elk antlers.

Deer antlers will work in a pinch, but don't last as long.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The new little guy loves bully sticks. AKA beef pizzle. More commonly known as beef penis.

They make then in all kinds of shapes, sizes, etc. The little dog seems content with them.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Himalayan Dog Chews. Our pack loves them. When they get small, you can zap them in the microwave and get cheese puffs.

https://www.amazon.com/Tibetan...l-Chew/dp/B00JRIBMZ8
https://thisis.dog/en/dog-stuf...eese-chews-for-dogs/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I used to give bones until one of my old dogs broke a tooth on a bone.

Antlers I get here. There is a ton of information on their site and pictures of the actual antlers you get. He has good comms, will answer any questions and work with you to find the best antler for your dog. Antler Art of Michigan ... http://michiganantlerart.com/

I have one heavy chewer dog and used to subscribe to Bark Box for one reason because their "Heavy Chewer" toys are so good, but Bark Box is an expensive monthly subscription service for treats and toys and the monthly fee adds up. Bark box treats are "the best" too but again, expensive and monthly subscription for treats doesn't last even close to a month. I discontinued the service after a year.

So ... for my heavy chewer dog that also loves squeakies, I found his new best friend on Amazon ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Virbac dental chews. I watch my dogs, and they chew them appropriately. I don’t send with to the kennel, where they aren’t keeping an eye on them. The chews work well for 2 of them (per the pearly whites), the other 2 don’t seem to get the same dental benefit (I consider them more gulpers with their regular food, though). Probably not long lasting enough for your pup, but watch how she eats and they may help you choose the right chew.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Our dog likes to carry around one of those ropes with knots in them. He doesn't chew on it much...just likes to tote it around.

We have a couple of those rope toys. My older dog will chew on it, gradually tearing threads off of it. The other one, my power chewer, he's seriously into tug-of-war games and the braided nylon rope is the toy of choice for that. For chewing he prefers a Kong ball. I replace those about every 6 months when he starts tearing little pieces out of it. Anything else we've got for him, he destroys in a matter of minutes, hours at the outside. Haven't tried the Nylabone yet, might give one of those a try and see how long it lasts.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post