SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flower Gardeners and/or Landscapers - A moment of your time?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flower Gardeners and/or Landscapers - A moment of your time? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I have 9 flowerbeds in various places, mostly planted to perennials. A couple of them I supplement with annuals.

For a couple of years, the deer have been dining on my Tulips, so I put netting over them this year and they did very well. Apparently, the deer took exception to that because they ate my Hosta plumb to the ground and have started snacking on my Morning Glory.

I'd really like to have a climbing vine and Morning Glory does well in my area if I could keep the damn deer away from it.

I wonder of a strand of electric fence would discourage them?

Alternatively, a flowering vine that they don't like? Preferably nothing too invasive.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Hunting season is right around the corner,they eat your flowers and you eat them,win win.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I quit with the tulips because of the deer.
Never had them eat the hosta yet, though.
Maybe honeysuckle or clematis? Those are 2 vines I haven’t had trouble with, but my dogs have been keeping deer to a minimum, and my neighbors provide a lot of fodder..
Good luck. It’s frustrating.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Wisteria for a vine.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The only thing that has worked for me to keep the deer out of the garden is a motion-activated water sprinkler. This is one of several similar products on Amazon. One is sufficient to cover my entire 20'x50' garden. Only downside is that the neighborhood nighttime cats no longer provide free rodent control.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I have a honeysuckle that does well. Not the ubiquitous invasive native but some kind of hybrid. It is growing up a structure I made of copper pipes and is contained in a raised bed. My complaint about it is that it blooms in May for about 2-3 weeks and is then done.Very stunning yellow/orange flowers just covering the thing when it is blooming.

A short burst of bloom is my gripe with clematis as well.

A good climber and longer blooming vine is the cardinal climber . Small red flowers . It is easily over-shaded by my honeysuckle though. It is a good annual that will reseed for the next year. It has a cool lacey looking foliage too.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Electric fence with deer pops scented with apple extract. One lick with the tongue or sniff with the nose and they run for the hills never to return.

https://www.deerbusters.com/mo...it-stations-24-pack/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

I have had great luck with clematis up next to the house and planted where the roots are shaded. Not so much out in the direct sun.

Too far North for honeysuckle to do well. Tried a trumpet vine which is similar but never could get it to flower and spent three years eradicating runners. VERY invasive.

9x18 the cardinal climber looks like a good option, thanks! I'll grab some seed for next year.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
this year the deer even ate my rhubarb, leaf and all!!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
this year the deer even ate my rhubarb, leaf and all!!!

Oh, crap. They haven't bothered mine yet, but that would mean WAR! Game Wardens be damned, we're going full auto and scorched earth here!

Last year they did eat my potatoes and sunflower sprouts tho. Bastiges.