SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here is a topic I have never seen here before...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here is a topic I have never seen here before... Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
What's your favorite in flowers?

I love white lilies, they smell like rain.

A close second are snapdragons.
About 6 years ago, we planted a few of them in a flower bed in front of the house.
Now, even the neighbors have them.

I am not ashamed to admit that I really enjoy shopping for flowers for my wife.
Palmers Flowers here in Fort Collins is amazing with big glassed walk in refrigerators.
I love going in those.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Oh no. Not this old ditty again.

Me likes the White Oleander. Beautiful, and useful...

Hemlock, also beautiful, and also useful...

There is also the Mountain Laurel, Veratrum, Ragwort, Cerbera Odollom, Calla Lily, Laburnum, Naked Lady, Dead Cherries, Daphne, Bloodroot, Adenium, and Aconitum.

All very beautiful. All very useful…

I used to bring a large red rose, whenever I went to see my mother. She found them comforting in her final days.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I am preferential toward our roses and our hydrangeas. The Wife and I play with both in different ways- she makes the hydrangeas change color using acidic or basic soil treatments. It's fun to see the whites turn blue, then patchy, then a different shade of blue...

I, on the other hand, sneak the roses a supplement of gunpowder which helps them out (don't knock it, they were half dead until the nitrogen in the powder kicked in). We've had a bang-up crop of roses ever since I started doing it. The soil at our place is very sandy and has clay underneath, YMMV.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
For smell--lilacs
For beauty--red roses
For color--Royal Purple iris

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a good sized, irrigated, rose bed on the south side of my house. I have planted all different colored roses. I enjoy them a lot. I used to cut fresh roses, when in season, and take them to my office manager everyday. She would put them out front for all to see and smell!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I love lilacs and any fruit tree when it's in bloom.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I love flowers! Peonies are my absolute favorite. I also love plumeria, camellias, phlox, and sweet pea. For smell, I love gardenias, hyacinth, and jasmine.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flowers are great! My favorite is the Columbine and I love the smell of lilac.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Almost impossible. My choices are limited to wildflowers. Colorado columbine, sego lily, blanket flower, poppies (we called them "Arizona poppies," most say California poppies), Indian paintbrush, skyrocket gilia, and I'm among the lucky few who has seen Night-blooming cereus in flower and Calypso bulbosa a wild orchid that I've seen only once as well--probably that one

Posts: 13232 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daylillies, cannas, marigolds, coreopsis, and others.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm an organic gardener so my favorite is French marigolds. The scent masks many vegetable scent (i.e. doesn't attract unwanted pests/insects), the scent repels some nuisance pests/insects, and its roots repel some nematodes in the soil.

Other flowers I enjoy:
  • In the first home I owned, I planted a weeping cherry tree. The house is in my hometown, and I like to drive by in the spring and see how attractive it is when flowered.
  • I think I'm going to plant a magnolia tree or two at my current place as the flowers look good when in bloom, the tree looks good even when not flowering, and I live in an ideal magnolia growing environment.
  • Any flower arrangement (e.g. lillies or roses) that makes my SO smile. I'm not talking about "please forgive my dumb ass flowers" or Valentine's flowers, I'm talking about the "just because flowers."

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    Roses - any and all types.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Certified All Positions
    Picture of arcwelder
    posted Hide Post
    Easily Lavender. The flowers are nice, but it's the smell, culinary, and insect repellent uses that put it over the top.

Arc.
    "You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Sig Forum Smart-Ass
    Picture of Rotndad
    posted Hide Post
    Orange Blossoms. I was born and raised (mostly) in Florida. The smell of the orange blossoms remind me of my childhood.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
    -Ovid

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
    Roses - any and all types.

Me too. Here is my favorite, the Hot Cocoa.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The smell of gardenias makes me want to barf !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shaman
    Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
    posted Hide Post
    The carnation is my favorite.
    The jasmine has the sweetest smell.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by flashguy:
    For smell--lilacs
    For beauty--red roses
    For color--Royal Purple iris

flashguy

Some folks have a particular gene that causes Brussels sprouts to taste bad to them. I dislike the smell of lilacs – maybe I have a gene that causes that.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    Cheery little daffodils.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Orchids, orchids, orchids, any type or color. They are exquisite plants. The Cattleyas, generally, have a most beautiful scent, one plant will envelope a room with its smell.

Having said that, smell the flower of a Little Gem Magnolia and you'll be in heaven!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post