SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with chartering a private flight?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with chartering a private flight? Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Someone mentioned airlining with a firearm in which you ave a lock and the only key. This is incorrect. You are only allowed TSA approved locks, which means locks easily opened by TSA with universal access.

Incredibly incorrect

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Someone mentioned airlining with a firearm in which you ave a lock and the only key. This is incorrect. You are only allowed TSA approved locks, which means locks easily opened by TSA with universal access.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/tra...earms-and-ammunition

"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations."

You have a source for your opinion?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Fedex the equipment out ahead of you?

Good idea.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.
TSA personnel can "request the key to open the firearm container" until they're blue in the face, but the regs clearly state that the passenger MUST NOT relinquish the key (or combination). Passenger must unlock the case, if requested by TSA, but passenger MUST retain possession of the key. Key may NOT, by law, be relinquished to TSA. The lock that is used MUST NOT be a "TSA" lock. Passenger must be the ONLY one who is able to unlock the case.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Well it was an idea, not a good one, but an idea.

Got a quote from Victor Private Jet Charter, roundtrip on a 9 passenger Gulfstream G200, $42k. Looks like we're shipping or dealing with the TSA...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
You could rent a passenger Transit van, or two, split the driving and have plenty of room for gear for much less than charter. Disappointing but it isn't all Hollywood and caviar.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened to your friend is pretty rare. The chances of the same thing happening to you also would be very slim, about as slim as winning the lottery

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
What happened to your friend is pretty rare. The chances of the same thing happening to you also would be very slim, about as slim as winning the lottery

Unfortunately it is not. Off the top of my head I have first hand knowledge of 6 archers who have had equipment lost, damaged or stolen in the last year while flying to different events.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, at that range even empty legs get very expensive.

What catches many off guard about chartering an aircraft is that you aren't just paying for point a to b. You are covering every expense the aircraft and crew are going to encounter. Large groups flying across the country staying for a few days will easily reach six figures.

I once had someone request a charter for their extended family from Cleveland to Hawaii for a week. The quote was over a million dollars. It didn't go.

Many are astonished when I'll rattle a quote off the top of my head that is five figures. For many it makes sense. I have a business client that travels the country visiting his customers and suppliers and can be home the same day. I have other clients who disdain TSA and have the money to avoid them.

The freedom of schedule and control over your trip and your luggage is very nice. But, comes at a staggering cost.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For what you’re trying to do, my advice is to buck up & airline over. Of course leave just a bit of fudge in your schedule and any connection times.

It’s ‘usually’ not that bad, only the exceptions. If you happen to fly when there’s a major power outage, hurricane, or extreme weather event, bets are off.

Posts: 6131 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
Unfortunately, at that range even empty legs get very expensive.

What catches many off guard about chartering an aircraft is that you aren't just paying for point a to b. You are covering every expense the aircraft and crew are going to encounter. Large groups flying across the country staying for a few days will easily reach six figures.

I once had someone request a charter for their extended family from Cleveland to Hawaii for a week. The quote was over a million dollars. It didn't go.

Many are astonished when I'll rattle a quote off the top of my head that is five figures. For many it makes sense. I have a business client that travels the country visiting his customers and suppliers and can be home the same day. I have other clients who disdain TSA and have the money to avoid them.

The freedom of schedule and control over your trip and your luggage is very nice. But, comes at a staggering cost.

I have a customer with a Emraier 300 jet that self pilots it and flies a lot for business. Probably 150-200 days a year. It costs him $500k a year between just fuel and maintenance. The fuel part of it is around $200k of that. This is all continental U.S. and furthest trip is Fort Lauderdale to Seattle.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
You can charter planes from the major airlines as well.

Southwest 737 runs roughly $80,000 coast to coast (one way), or $50,000 for coast/midwest. Much more cost effective than some of the other options mentioned because you can take 150 +/- of your friends along.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post