SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with chartering a private flight?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with chartering a private flight? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I figured why not ask the all knowing oracle of knowledge that is SigForum. Anyone have experience with chartering a private plane for travel? We're going to be traveling from Phoenix to Raleigh, NC and back this summer for my daughter to compete at Outdoor Nationals.

Our coach and his son just had a horrific experience traveling to Florida for Indoor Trials. Their bag was forcibly opened, a pair of binoculars and a pocket knife were stolen. Worse yet, someone cut the zip ties securing his son's bow, dry fired it and destroyed it.

Just wondering if it may be cost effective for 3 or 4 families to share a private charter rather than dealing with the nightmare of the TSA and airline baggage handlers.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 or 4 families and luggage would take a pretty good sized plane which would be big $$

You're basically flying cross country too which means you need a plane with long legs.

Off the top of my head I'd say a 10 passenger sized plane with that much range would run you north of $20,000 to charter it round trip for that distance.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Can you put a firearm (or even just a starting pistol) into the case, declare it with the airline desk, and lock the case up according to TSA and Airline guidelines? Firearms get special handling, locked, and only you have a key.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
dusty3030 has it right. I've looked. It's insanely expensive - especially for cross-country, which puts you on a bigger jet.

Just to give you a sample of what you're looking at, here's a link to a charter service's listings of empty legs. Empty leg being the "we have to move the plane where we need it, but nobody has chartered a flight for the right date/time, so it will be empty unless we can make some money by offering space at a deep discount"

You'll see that the discounted "empty leg" prices for cross-country are still in the $30K range. Since you'd need specific airports and dates, you can multiply that figure.

http://newflightcharters.com/one_way_jet_charters.htm

What about buying some quality cases (SKB, Pelican, etc.) and shipping the equipment? At the very least, it could be fully insured that way, which is more than you're going to get from the airlines.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Fedex the equipment out ahead of you?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Can you put a firearm (or even just a starting pistol) into the case, declare it with the airline desk, and lock the case up according to TSA and Airline guidelines? Firearms get special handling, locked, and only you have a key.

That is a good idea.

GF son recently flew to Kansas, via Southwest from PHX with a shotgun in hard case with keyed locks. He kept the key of course. Said there were no problems either way.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, I've got a Davis derringer especially for that purpose. Her double bow tournament case is a soft case approved for airline travel. We'll probably upgrade to a hard sided SKB. It sucks because her soft case is especially made for archery and can pack 2 bows, quiver, arrows, equipment, etc. into it. An SKB hard case isn't as versatile. We're also looking into shipping her bow and equipment in advance via FedEx, UPS, etc.

We've been lucky in that our tournament travel has always been somewhere that we could easily drive to in a day. Not so with Nationals in North Carolina this summer. Especially troublesome talking with those in the archery community is that equipment damage and theft is becoming more prevalent.

Fortunately the archery community is very generous. Archers show up for a tournament with damaged equipment or bag that was lost. Other archers are willing to lend back up bows and equipment so at least they can compete. But still a bow is a very personal thing tuned to the individual archer, not having your own is a disadvantage.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Fedex the equipment out ahead of you?

Or burn it in the parking lot and replace on arrival, still coming out ahead of a chartered flight. Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Nothing about air travel can be regarded as cost effective.

Scheduled air service is subsidized to a certain extent, and according to Warren Buffett, has lost all the money invested since the Wright Brothers.

Charter service, where you pay full cost, is not cheap. There are many amusing advantages, scheduling, routing, comfort, but saving money isn’t one of them.

Like my instructor said when he asked me what makes an airplane fly. After listening to my babbling nonsense for as long as he could stand it, he said, “Nahh, it’s money. If you don’t have any, the plane won’t fly.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Price is determined by the particular kind of jet you choose, and that will depend on the number of passengers you have and the distance for the trip. 10-12 passengers on a cross country flight translates to a pretty big aircraft. If you have more passengers than that, you are looking at a heavy jet like a G550. Best to check a charter operator for a quote, but I would think you are in the $7500 to $10k per hour range. Probably north of $50k for the roundtrip.

Unless your crew is smaller than we are thinking, I don't see how you get anywhere near $20k for a one way trip much less a round trip

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:

Yes, I've got a Davis derringer especially for that purpose. Her double bow tournament case is a soft case approved for airline travel. We'll probably upgrade to a hard sided SKB. It sucks because her soft case is especially made for archery and can pack 2 bows, quiver, arrows, equipment, etc. into it. An SKB hard case isn't as versatile.

Buy an SKB/Pelican/Anvil/etc case big enough to hold the soft case... there are tons of different ones beyond regular gun cases, for music gear, scientific instruments, and so on. There are likely several, no matter their intended use, that are big enough and shaped correctly to facilitate holding her existing soft case stuffed full of gear.

If you need help looking, post the outside dimensions of her soft case while it's full...

Or, like Motorcycles and Fine Art and Restaurant Equipment and such are shipped, crate it yourself and send it like common freight. It's a little slow, but cheap and reliable.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wondering if it may be cost effective for 3 or 4 families to share a private charter rather than dealing with the nightmare of the TSA and airline baggage handlers.

I think the answer is "NO"...
A locking case sounds like your best bet.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Ship all of your goods UPS/FedEx insured, and fly commercial.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link to list of hard cases approved by TSA for shipping firearms via air travel....

http://www.tsatraveltips.us/gu...ases-and-air-travel/

Maybe one large enough to store bow equipment and soft bag inside??

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Anyone have experience with chartering a private plane for travel?
Charters are regulated under Part 135 of the FARs (Federal Regs).

I believe that forum member Sock Eating Golden is Chief Dispatcher for a Part 135 company. He could probably give you a quote.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Pretty much if you need to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely look into one of the Pelican rifle hard cases big enough to put the soft double bow case inside. Then put the starter pistol in with it for secure check in and handling. Your locks, military spec hard case and special handling all rolled in 1. The only issue would be going behind enemy lines with a pistol in certain states. Maybe a very cheap .22 rifle in that instance.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a little bit of experience with chartering, having flown charter for quite a few years in piston singles, twins, turboprops, and turbojet aircraft, domestic nd international.

It's going to cost you. A lot. It wont be close to comparable to airlining. If cost is an issue, then charter is not your friend.

The same rules and requirements that apply to airline travel also apply to charter flights, though many operators dont enforce them as vigorously, and few facilities for general aviation have security comparable to airline facilities.

For a flight across the country you'll want a turbojet aircraft, and when you get to ten passengers you're out of the realm of most midsize cabins. Some can seat ten, but that's usually not realistic, and they dont take baggage for ten.

If you plan to stay at your destination more than overnight, the aircraft wont be staying with you, unless you cover the cost of several hours charter each day. What that means to you is that you're paying the cost to get to your destination, plus the cost for the aircraft to return home empty, then come get you again a few days later. Both ways. You'll also be covering fees for pilots overnight, etc.

Jet charter makes sense where your time is more valuable than the cost of the flight, and it makes sense when you either have so much discretionary income that you dont think twice about the cost, or when the flight is a deduction for you. Otherwise, most of the time the flights are prohibitively expensive.

Someone mentioned airlining with a firearm in which you ave a lock and the only key. This is incorrect. You are only allowed TSA approved locks, which means locks easily opened by TSA with universal access.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
I've chartered a 14 seat G5 for about $9K/hr.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
So 4 hours each way (8) x $9K = $56K. Throw in some extras, ramp fees, extra time, food and you'll be at $60K easy.

Like I said, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post