SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GPS app that can track path offline or with limited cell service
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS app that can track path offline or with limited cell service Login/Join 
posted
Im looking for a phone GPS app that can work with limited cell service. This would be for hiking in the woods not roads. I want to be able to track my path on a map and be able to follow the route to return.

My phone is able to call/text but I do not have mobile data in this location.

Google Maps GPS shows on the map except it does not trace my path.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
There are loads of apps that will do this.

On Android, I've used Backcountry Navigator and Gaia GPS with good results.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I use GAIA GPS. GPS works without phone signal, and you can download the maps of the location you're headed so you will have offline service. It will record your tracks along with speed/ distance/ elevation logging. You can save your routes for later or share them with others. You can also download tracks others have created and shared if you would like to follow them. It also has tools to create routes before going in. You set waypoints and the route will kind of "snap" to the trail or road you are planning on following. It will give you distance and elevation information for your planned route.

It also has a whole lot of other map overlays available that I've found incredibly useful (public/ private property, forest service roads, national parks, trails, aviation charts, nautical stuff, etc.)- way more functionality than I will ever need but there if you want to learn it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on Gaia GPS. There’s a bit of a learning curve but, imho, it’s the best one out there today.

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avenza maps.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
For those without a smart phone (yes, we exist), there is a neat little gadget called an I-gotU. I carry one when I'm on a trip to know where I've taken photos.
https://proofpronto.com/gps-tr...u-20-day-gps-logger/

They are claiming a 20-day battery life, but mine only goes about 20 hours on a charge. Maybe they've got better batteries now. ETA: just read further, the 20 days is using it 1 hour/day, so the battery is good for about 20 hours use on a charge.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
GPS Odometer works perfectly w/o cellular connection. I used it until I got my iPhone 12. Its built-in pedometer is so accurate that I don’t need GPS.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I have used Avenza and Paper Maps apps. Both work well.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I used OnX Hunt app and downloaded the map I was going to be in when I had internet signal.

Once I was out in the field, I had no cell service and it worked great. It plotted my hunt and I was able to drop markers.

The key is downloading the map before you go. The GPS works without cell service.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
My brother hunts in an area in the west part of the county and LTE is scarce down in the draws. He had used BackCountry Navigator for several years.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I've used the marine version of Navionics. Pretty well done too.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Backcountry Navigator Pro is what I've been using for quite a while. Has pretty much supplanted my Garmin 62s handheld.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
https://www.alltrails.com

I don't use it but a coworker that like to hike does and swears by it. A phone app.
I think you can view and use other peoples uploaded treks or create and save your own etc.

I'm sure it will do what you want but may be more than what you need.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post