SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter & Archery - Update 2018 AZ State Indoor Championships
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter & Archery - Update 2018 AZ State Indoor Championships Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
She did it! First tournament of the season and first tournament aging up into the Cub age division, serving notice and bringing home the championship.

One of those moments where I look at my daughter and I'm reminded how much she's grown. She was pretty much on autopilot all weekend. Making adjustments during unofficial practice, dialing it in during official, keeping her head in the game and actually being a leader for her bale and her team. It doesn't seem like that long ago when I was setting up her bow, spotting for her during sight in, trying to keep her in focus when on the edge of a meltdown and checking her math on her scorecard.

I almost feel sorry for all the 12 and under girls in the Bowman division. I think there was a huge sigh of relief among all of them when our daughter aged up to Cub this year. But now they have to deal with Shaylee. Shaylee is one of our team's up and coming archers that looks to our daughter as a mentor. Shaylee served notice as well this weekend breaking 2 of our daughter's state records and winning the bowman division by 123 points.

Hoping both girls carry this momentum into the rest of the season!

I got really lucky with the timing and caught the arrow about a millisecond after she released it.

On the podium.

With her coach.

The obligatory proud daddy shot. Before the shot she yelled out, "This isn't mandatory!" Which I replied, "Yes it is, I paid your entry fee."

Well, our daughter is halfway through the first tournament of the season and after the first round, she's in 1st by 12 points. Hoping that she stays consistent tomorrow and holds onto it. She's shooting a little below her average but coming off the holidays, Christmas break and the flu not to mention blowing the cobwebs out to get ready for tournament season, we'll take it.

Somewhat bittersweet moment for me today, Shaley who is one of our club's up and coming archers beat 2 of our daughter's indoor records today. I'm happy and bummed all at the same time, happy for Shaley, but bummed as a dad because one wants to see their kid's accomplishments last forever.

The two girls today really displayed what I love to see as a coach. At the end of the day Maya gave Shaley a huge hug and congratulated her. Shaley responded, "You better get busy because next year I'm gunning for you!" The 2 girls will be shooting the same age division again next year when Shaley ages up. They're teammates, friends and soon to be rivals again. With all of the bitchiness that I see with teenage girls at tournaments, it's really nice to see two girls who can compete against each other, respect each other and remain friends.

Maya on the line this afternoon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! Smile
Really like that those two girls are lighting a fire under each other.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Gooooo M-A-Y-A!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roll'em up girl.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Keep us updated. we are rooting for her.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I enjoy your posts. I hope someday.she goes to the Olympics.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy reading about Maya's archery adventures told from the perspective of a proud papa.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update at top.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Ha! Great news to start the week.

Well done - again - Maya!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I always enjoy reading about Maya's archery adventures told from the perspective of a proud papa.

I also enjoy and try to read each and every update.
Congrats and keep it going.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1125 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread to read before the drudgery of the week. Reading these posts always puts me in a better frame of mind!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Awesomeness!!!! Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Fanfrickintastic. Congrats to Maya, dad and all
the SIGforum team members. Wink

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Congratualtions Maya!
Congratulations Shaylee!
Congratulations Dad!

Wonderful news. Who says Mondays have to suck? Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!
We should be getting our daughter in for her first archery lesson this month; we'll see how much she gets into it. If it sticks, we'll have to have her meet Maya if we're even in your area.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Out-freaking-STANDING!!!

Congrats to Maya, Shaylee and you, Dad... and MOM too, as this is definitely a family affair!

An excellent start to the week!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post