New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rugby Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
I am completely fed up with professional sports at this point in my life. Any way to watch Rugby here in the States? Is it entertaining?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is entertaining if you know the rules. When I was in college it was a club sport. Football basically with no pads. I have seen it on television. Check out ESPN. They have to have something to put on.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search for Major League Rugby. It a relatively new US professional league

Many of the European matches are now being broadcast also.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I played rugby at school from age 12 right up to 18. Even playing at our level it was a brutal contact sport that could leave you with life-altering injuries. I was very, very lucky. I played at fly half, where my relative small stature, solid build and nimbleness were the qualities required above all others.

I was only knocked unconscious twice, and had a bad ankle sprain, but not being in the scrum meant I kept my ears intact.

I was on the pitch the day one of our teammates died - right there, instantly - when he took a tumble and 'went over his neck'. He was just fourteen years old.

Next week we were back on the pitch.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I played rugby at school from age 12 right up to 18. Even playing at our level it was a brutal contact sport that could leave you with life-altering injuries. I was very, very lucky. I played at fly half, where my relative small stature, solid build and nimbleness were the qualities required above all others.

I was only knocked unconscious twice, and had a bad ankle sprain, but not being in the scrum meant I kept my ears intact.

I was on the pitch the day one of our teammates died - right there, instantly - when he took a tumble and 'went over his neck'. He was just fourteen years old.

Next week we were back on the pitch.

I played First XV schoolboy at St Brendan’s in Brislington early 80’s
-Bath Colts
-Avon U-18
-Somerset U-18
-Bristol Schools

All as a Yank who didn’t start playing until I was 15

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve watched a little of some games and it looks like organized mayhem to me.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I played until I was in my 40s. I'm mostly still alright...mostly.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I played for several years. I started in grad school and played club rugby after that so I was literally late to the game. I played in the scrum, loosehead-prop usually, so I didn't get to see much of the entertainment and I haven't been able to breathe through my left nostril since 1975, but yeah, it's entertaining in a Celtic Clan feud kind of way.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Just watched a pro game in New Zealand late last night in Fox Sports 2 or ESPN2. I guess check with whoever provides your TV service?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
I’ve watched a little of some games and it looks like organized mayhem to me.

Believe it or not, but rugby is a gentlemanly sport. Great respect is paid to each team by the other. There is rivalry, of course, but none of the genuine hatred that one encounters in football fans, who week after week engage the attentions of literally thousands of extra-duty police officers, who do their level best to stop 'fans' from killing each other in mob riots.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post