SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question to the FFLS here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question to the FFLS here Login/Join 
posted
Does you to run a namecheck on the buyer of a gun?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
?

Are you asking if a FFLS needs to run a background check on the receiver of a gun you are shipping him?

That seems like a red flag question.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Does you to run a namecheck on the buyer of a gun?

Could someone please translate this for me?

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
In Virginia, the buyer must complete form 4473 and in Virginia, form SP65A, provide a valid government issued photo-ID issued by the Commonwealth, undergo the instant background check, and have it return approved before the buyer takes possession.

So, yes. We do a name check. And a criminal history, and more.

Why do you ask?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe Bendable can help out here.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Umm, yeah..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall Bulldog is LE. Perhaps asking if an FFL can help him find who originally bought a gun that he's come across in an investigation?

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bad Sorry. I want to know how much it costs a FFL to do a background check on the purchaser of a gun.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
My bad Sorry. I want to know how much it costs a FFL to do a background check on the purchaser of a gun.

It doesn't cost anything to run a NICS check. An FFL can't just run them Willy nilly though. The person checked has to actually be buying a firearm. After the implementation of the (UN)SAFE act here in NY ATF and the FBI had to give FFL's permission to run background checks for other people for guns that they weren't running through their A&D books. Any costs that an FFL charges someone for a NICS check go straight to the dealer, they do not go to the government.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:
It doesn't cost anything to run a NICS check. An FFL can't just run them Willy nilly though. The person checked has to actually be buying a firearm. After the implementation of the (UN)SAFE act here in NY ATF and the FBI had to give FFL's permission to run background checks for other people for guns that they weren't running through their A&D books. Any costs that an FFL charges someone for a NICS check go straight to the dealer, they do not go to the government.
There's a five dollar fee for a background check here in Florida. This is in addition to any transfer fee that the FFL might charge. Based on what you're saying, I conclude that ours is a state fee, not a federal one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Virginia charges a $2 resident and $5 nonresident fee, and makes the licensee collect it and turn it in to the State Police.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Virginia charges a $2 resident and $5 nonresident fee, and makes the licensee collect it and turn it in to the State Police.

yep,

and they bill you promptly,
reminds me I gotta get a check out to them Tuesday

keep in mind, Va is a POC state, as in the State Police is the Point Of Contact, not FBI/NICS,

as in we either call you in, or do a VChek online to get the approval,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Is this for a FTF sale that you are planning that you just want to verify the buyer is ok? If so, the Illinois state police has a form online that you enter the person's foid card number and it gives you a form to print with an authorization number. Not sure if that is an official background check or what though. Otherwise, I would assume that an FFL would charge whatever their transfer fee is....plus the 3 day wait.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:

As a NY FFL any gun transaction that goes through me has to go in my book. Private party sales go from seller to me to buyer, everything gets logged.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post