SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Food "timing" is very important outside of the area of deliberate "fasting."

Our bodies are hormone driven, so eating late at night is really bad food timing. Insulin release turns off fat burning and turns fat storage on. So to eat, then get the fat storage system turned on, then go to sleep and have the metabolism lower until the morning is no bueno.

Same thing with eating first thing in the am. No, keep the body in that fat burning state (if it even reached it yet) for as long as possible.

The whole 5-6 small meals per day is really bad advice as well. Basically keeps your body digesting food and getting fat storing insulin triggers all day.

Old school 3 meals per day is way better, 2 meals per day would be better still. This would result in some weight loss even if the calories were kept the same.

You don't have to have a "pre-workout" meal either. I just bought a book on sports nutrition with recipes geared towards ultra-endurance athletes. These guys are in the feeding athletes business and even they said that you don't need to eat anything for an under 2hr workout.

Personal experience; I've ran 20 miles on nothing but water (no food eaten that day yet either) without energy issues.

Totally agree with everything you wrote. 2 meals a day works for me. I only eat, or put anything in my body that will produce a metabolic response, between 12pm and 8pm with Saturday nights off. I don't restrict what I eat, only what time I eat it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
If I could I'd like to keep the thread focused to life changes, and things we all would generally consider "diets."

Fasting for an extended period of time is well outside the purview, and you'll gain back whatever you lose, if you don't make changes in your life after said fast.

That can be said of any "diet" What works for one may not work for another. To try and discourage one from posting what works for them may may only be suppressing useful info. Take what applies you you and ignore what doesn't.

quote:
quote:
Dave. Mind your business.

I was participating in a thread I had posted in, a subject matter I know a little something about. Not by profession but by years of trying this , that and the other thing. Not trying to poke you in the eye.

Let me be plain.

Anyone who starts a thread on a particular topic, we'll call them "OP," the OP has started that topic due to their interest, and they have the right to steer their thread such as to maintain their desired course of inquiry. This is anybody who posts a thread here. Post a thread, and you can decide what is germane to that thread, as its OP.

I started this thread. I can decide where the discussion goes, and I've given suitable reason for that. In regards to "extended fasting," I've judged it outside the useful purview of my thread, as the OP and a member of this forum.

That ought to be enough.

If it's not enough, I'll put on the Moderator hat if necessary, and kindly ask you to stop hassling an OP about the content of their thread.

If anyone wishes to discuss "extended fasting," they can start their own thread on that specific topic. If you've read this thread and absorbed everything that I have said about my own perspective on, as titled, "Fitness, weight loss, dieting," I would hope you'll appreciate my goal of the content here being useful to the "widest" swath of fatsos out there, of which I am one.

For review, extended fasting does not fit this topic as I see it, because it is outside of the scope of what many typically people can or should do, particularly without medical supervision. If it's OK with you guys, I'd like to focus _at least my own thread_ on basic changes and other accessible information for the regular folk.

Understood.

How are you doing since you started this thread? I like the one meal a day way more than 6 a day. Weight coming off? How is your energy level? Sleep pattern? Change is a bitch at first but if you start to see some gains it becomes much easier to stick with and as you alluded to earlier, if you can' set up something that you can stick to, it will fail. Nothing worse than the yo-yo of weight loss and gain. Stick with it. It can seem slow and will frustrate most of the time but the reward is worth it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
How are you doing since you started this thread? I like the one meal a day way more than 6 a day. Weight coming off? How is your energy level? Sleep pattern? Change is a bitch at first but if you start to see some gains it becomes much easier to stick with and as you alluded to earlier, if you can' set up something that you can stick to, it will fail. Nothing worse than the yo-yo of weight loss and gain. Stick with it. It can seem slow and will frustrate most of the time but the reward is worth it.

One meal a day works great for me. I have steady energy all day, with no crash at any point. I also find it simplifies the monitoring of calorie intake.

I had used a variety of websites to estimate a daily calorie goal, and I also use 2 apps, Lose It! and Fooducate to get an idea of calories per portion.

Both the calories and portion size of a given food can vary, as can an individuals intake that will result in gain, loss, or stasis. Only monitoring it for yourself over time will tell you. The various online calculators I used for what a typically calorie load for me should be, were all over the place.

Currently I'm just keeping my weight at 230, while my new job settles down, and now that we're approaching the holiday season which is a shit time in my family. I'll shift to weight loss again after January.

While Keto is working for a lot of folks I know, I'll just go back to calorie counting when I switch to weight loss again. The 1 meal a day thing for me, wasn't so much a weight loss thing, as just a conundrum for years. Particularly during the work day, no matter what or how much I ate, I would always feel like garbage after lunch, and then have a crash somewhere around 3:30-4.

That doesn't happen any more, so no matter what I do, it's one meal a day from here on out. I haven't experienced any of the adverse side effects or consequences that have been alleged from eating one meal. The idea that "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is complete bunk, at least in my world.

Additionally, from my own travels, it seems that anyone trying to eat many small meals throughout the day is not going to be successful. If it works for someone, great. I couldn't even try it, because the conditions and demands of construction don't allow me to eat all the time.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Arc, when do you eat your one meal? Midday?

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
between 6-7pm.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Arc, what's your typical calorie load for that one meal? Or, if you are drinking stuff with calories during the day, what is your daily calorie load?

I'm currently doing the three meal a day thing, focusing on very low carb (keto).

Typical breakfast: Two cups of coffee, cream no sugar 40 cal., two hard boiled eggs, 156 cal. TOTAL 196 Cal.

Typical lunch: Meat and veggie chili (no beans) 410 cal., drink water. TOTAL Cal. 410

Typical dinner: Grilled Chicken 150 cal., Mixed greens and veggies salad 25 cal., oil and vinegar home made dressing, 75 cal., drink water, TOTAL Cal. 250.

Daily cal. 854 and never hungry.

If I have pork or more red meat, or end up eating a meal out, that that daily calorie load will go up by 300 to 500 calories. But even at that, I'm well below my lose weight target or 2200, or my hold weight of 2950.

The reason I ask, is that with the food I am eating, I am never hungry, and frankly can't really imagine eating a meal large enough to get a day's calories in one go, unless I was having something like nachos, chicken wings, cheese, or significant carbohydrates, like spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna.

When I was eating carbs, putting down a 1,000 calorie meal was no problem at all for me, but without the carbs, I'm having a hard time finding calories without being over full.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
Made the cabbage lasagne a couple weeks back it was great! I am easing my way back into keto after the hospital stay. Doc's said I could get back to it just be sure to take note of which foods cause trouble.

I am thrilled that I haven't gained anything after having to eat a low res diet (white bread pasta etc) for weeks after I got out. That was thoroughly depressing after having been so good with a healthy diet since April.

Do you have a recipe for the cabbage lasagna?

Emailed you the one I used... Smile

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ArtieS,

I'd skip the breakfast, but add calories to lunch and especially dinner! At under 900 cal per day, your metabolism is going to slow way down and that's not good.

Add more fatty meats and healthy fats like olive, coconut, or avocado oil and more veggies as needed to get your daily calories closer to 2,000.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I'm struggling. I have lost 25 lbs since August. Just not coming off fast enough. To many cheat meals.

Need to get in the gym asap!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Arc, what's your typical calorie load for that one meal? Or, if you are drinking stuff with calories during the day, what is your daily calorie load?

I'm currently doing the three meal a day thing, focusing on very low carb (keto).

Typical breakfast: Two cups of coffee, cream no sugar 40 cal., two hard boiled eggs, 156 cal. TOTAL 196 Cal.

Typical lunch: Meat and veggie chili (no beans) 410 cal., drink water. TOTAL Cal. 410

Typical dinner: Grilled Chicken 150 cal., Mixed greens and veggies salad 25 cal., oil and vinegar home made dressing, 75 cal., drink water, TOTAL Cal. 250.

Daily cal. 854 and never hungry.

If I have pork or more red meat, or end up eating a meal out, that that daily calorie load will go up by 300 to 500 calories. But even at that, I'm well below my lose weight target or 2200, or my hold weight of 2950.

The reason I ask, is that with the food I am eating, I am never hungry, and frankly can't really imagine eating a meal large enough to get a day's calories in one go, unless I was having something like nachos, chicken wings, cheese, or significant carbohydrates, like spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna.

When I was eating carbs, putting down a 1,000 calorie meal was no problem at all for me, but without the carbs, I'm having a hard time finding calories without being over full.

During the day I just drink water. No other food at all.

To lose weight, I eat 2000 calories or less. To stay the same I eat about 3000. More, I gain.

I've used apps to get an idea about the calorie count of a variety of portions and foods, and I try to eat a variety, with carbs included. Healthy fats are the key, and I continue to include carbs because I like food.

The idea of one meal a day, for me, wasn't really about diet, and more about simplifying my work day. The biggest benefit is no crash or sluggishness in the afternoon.

As far as getting all of the days calories in one go, it's not hard. Hell, you could eat nothing but nuts and get to 2000+ calories quickly.

What I've found, is that I can feel full and satiated at around that 2000 mark, but that I _enjoy_ more food. Don't we all. If you know yourself enough to know where your "stasis" mark is, as well as where weight loss is, it gives you control. Such that, you don't have to worry you've "destroyed" your progress if you stray. Go to far into overeating, then yes.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I'm struggling. I have lost 25 lbs since August. Just not coming off fast enough. To many cheat meals.

25lbs since august isn't bad. The idea of "just not coming off fast enough" is the problem, not what you're doing if you're down 25.

Slow, steady, sustainable weight loss through easily maintained changes is the way to go.

Results don't show themselves quickly, but slow is the way to lasting change.

Arc.

Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I am 49 and I have been doing low carb (20 grams a day max) 2 meals a day for a while and I have lost 30 lbs. Wearing 32 waist size pants again. I Just started one meal a day last week. I plan on doing it 5 days a week and leaving the weekend open to 2 meals so I can do things with family if I want. I am doing if not only to control weight but for the many health benefits.

My experience is the same as Arc's when it comes to the steady energy and NO sluggishness during the day. It's nice. I do get pains of hunger but as long as I am working it's easy to ignore and they pass. I Make my own electrolyte water with sea salt, Potassium, sodium and magnesium and drink that throughout the day. I also have a cup of black coffee in the morning.

I stretch and lift weights in the evening before dinner without any additional food. Then I eat a nice hearty dinner. Actually it's kind of fun because I can eat until I am satisfied. I just make sure to keep eating clean. I take just a few supplements and thats it until the next dinner.

Interesting note. I had my yearly wellness exam with my long time Doc and he was shocked to see the weight I had dropped and how good of shape I was in. Heart rate, EKG and BP were perfect. All blood and urine work was good. LDL he said was high and he was confused as to how with all the other markers being great that could be. He wants to run the cholesterol test again. My concern is with VLDL or remnant cholesterol and that number is 12 also excellent. So all signs are that this lifestyle works!

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Its great to see so many people talking about making changes to lifestyle, tackling weight loss, and sharing experiences.

I think it's important not to get carried away though. 900 calorie days is not the way to do it. Also, going nuts in a gym with exercise while healthy can also cause dietary needs that when you lay off the exercise can be hard habits to break resulting in weight gain.

HERE is a link that you can put in your information such as, Age, Weight, Activity level, and it will tell you what your currently averaging for daily calorie, what you need to eat for your desired weight and how long it will take to get there depending on what you agree to eat daily, as well as how much you should eat to maintain that weight once your there.

It is a great tool and will help anyone who is on a sustainable weight loss regimen.

I celebrated my birthday Saturday, and went off script with my diet plan. I was amazed to find that even "cheating" if done right is not a big deal. I had 2400 calories 55-60 net carbs, was comfortably "full" and got to have keto Friendly cheesecake that I made from scratch that was fantastic.

My glucose was only 98 this morning without taking any extra meds. And I don't feel regretful for taking a day off from my normal 1600/25net day.

I also don't think I harmed my 1-1.5 lbs weekly loss rate.

Everything in moderation

ETA: My cloths no longer fit. Since april I've gone from a 5xlt to a 2xlt and a 50x32 to a 42x32 jeans.

I don't want to buy any more cloths then necessary as I plan to loose another 70lbs but I can't continue to wear cloths that fit me like bed sheets.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughtful and comprehensive response, Arc. I agree, that with nuts, a bit of cheese and modest carbs, 2,00-3,000 might be in reach. I hadn't thought about how dense nuts really are.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:

Don't sweat it too much, if you are eating healthy, and not going up in weight, there's a fair chance you are still burning some fat and changing your body composition without it showing up on the scale yet.

Watch the cheat meals, stick with your plan, and you will be fine.

Good luck.

I hit a major milestone today. I'm calling it "AFIJ".

It stands for "Ass Fits In Jeans" and it arrives just in time for cooler weather.

Woot!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slow, steady, sustainable weight loss through easily maintained changes is the way to go.

Results don't show themselves quickly, but slow is the way to lasting change.

This is key. Anyone can lose weight. We've all seen people who have lost massive weight quickly only to put it right back on , or worse yet get bigger. Educate yourself and make changes that you can stick with and over the long run you will meet your goals and not be miserable along the way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
I have found that making sure I get about 8-10 servings (1/2 cup servings) of good crucifirous vegetables every day has been beneficial to weight loss and keeping the GI tract on schedule.

If I exercise 2-3 days a week, I can maintain most strength and fitness gains, but to make forward progress, I need 4-5 days a week.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Down 33 pounds from October 3.

I'm back in jeans that didn't fit; back in shirts that didn't fit, and back in cowboy boots that were uncomfortable and hard to put on.

Got a ways to go yet. Targeting another 67 pounds, but every pound after the first digit on the scale gets to a "1" will be icing on the cake.

I'm keeping with the keto thing, as it is the easiest way I have found to eat varied, satisfying meals without being hungry, feeling deprived, or getting bored.

I am also doing the gym twice a week, and walking 2.5 miles on days I don't get to the gym. The walking, in particular has been great, as I see a steady decline in both my resting and working heart rates. It also helps with flexibility and energy.

I'd like to find a traditional weight bench with a rack for a bench press bar, as I have a weight set, but no other equipment, so I can work out in my garage on days I can't make the gym. Primary problem with the gym, is that it takes at least two hours out of my day. Half hour each way travel, and an hour minimum for a workout.

I also find that the equipment at the gym doesn't give as good a workout as the free weights do, and I have been transitioning from machines to weights to take advantage of that, but the free weight section of the gym is kind of overpopulated, and bench space is at a premium.

Made a great cold weather dinner the other night. Not that it's cold in Florida, but it's November, so it's cold somewhere... Pan seared a 2.5 inch thick shoulder potroast in olive oil, then put it in the slow cooker with 16 ounces of beef broth, some chopped garlic, crushed ginger, balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard until it was just covered. I then tossed in two rough cut sweet onions, some baby carrots (not the best for keto, but too bad), some broccoli and fresh cauliflower. Let it cook for 3 hours, and it was just wonderful. Going to have the left overs tonight, and I didn't miss having potatoes in it, or thickening the gravy with flour. It was perfect just as is.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Down 33 pounds from October 3.

That's great! Don't expect that rate to continue or get discouraged when it doesn't. Also, if you haven't yet, take measurements of at least your belly around the belly button and waist around the hips. Even if the scale stays the same, if you lost any amount in measurement, you lost more fat (and added muscle that kept the scale from moving).

quote:

I'd like to find a traditional weight bench with a rack for a bench press bar, as I have a weight set, but no other equipment, so I can work out in my garage on days I can't make the gym. Primary problem with the gym, is that it takes at least two hours out of my day. Half hour each way travel, and an hour minimum for a workout.

I also find that the equipment at the gym doesn't give as good a workout as the free weights do, and I have been transitioning from machines to weights to take advantage of that, but the free weight section of the gym is kind of overpopulated, and bench space is at a premium.

I've never had a gym membership for that reason. Not the $, but all the time involved. I can get a great workout at home in less time than driving to the gym and back. You also don't technically need anything more than a pullup bar (ideally one that can also be set at hip height) and your body weight.

Good observation on free weights as well. Far, FAR superior to the machines. You burn more calories and build way more functional strength having to support yourself in space that being supported in a machine.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement.

The gym is mostly for my partner as she likes the classes put on by a particular instructor. It's also not a lot of fun to work out in a garage in Florida when the temp is in the mid to high 90s and the humidity is there to match, so the gym makes sure I get at least two resistance work outs each week, no matter the weather.

I'm an old enough dog to know that the rate of loss will drop off, and that I will plateau, and that I'm still burning fat, even if I'm not losing weight. You can fool biology for a little while, but not forever. If less goes in than you burn off, you will get smaller.

posted Hide Post
Stram and Radius: I hear your message. Love your dedication and it inspires me. Looking to lose a few pounds before my wedding to another sig-forum member On 12/15. Have been using kettle bell excersizes - and while the last 3 weeks have eliminated all “love handles” and flattened stomach — the weight has only slowly diminished.(in part to my life style of eating carbs) Still need to go another 5-10 lbs so keep sharing and keep us motivated!!

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stram and Radius: I hear your message. Love your dedication and it inspires me. Looking to lose a few pounds before my wedding to another sig-forum member On 12/15. Have been using kettle bell excersizes - and while the last 3 weeks have eliminated all “love handles” and flattened stomach — the weight has only slowly diminished.(in part to my life style of eating carbs) Still need to go another 5-10 lbs so keep sharing and keep us motivated!!

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post