SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
cabbage lasagna. It was an instant hit, even for my parents who are off the boat from Italy and have been in the Italian restaurant business all our lives.

Very filling and 16 net carbs for a huge portion, about 730 calories worth. I mean a big portion...
That looks good.

How about posting a recipe or link. Thanks. Looks great.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the cabbage lasagna idea!

If anyone likes cabbage rolls, you can do a low-carb layered cabbage roll casserole simply by omitting the rice.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
cabbage lasagna.
That looks good.

How about posting a recipe or link. Thanks. Looks great.

Sure thing. I got the inspiration from this youtube video but changed the quantities and ingredients and how to make the cabbage.

Cabbage lasagna video

The quantities will be up to you but I used.

2.5 lbs ground turkey 93% about 3000 cal
1.25 cups shredded white cheddar about 600 cal 4 carb
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese about 350 cal 3 carb
2 cup cottage cheese about 430 cal 15g carb
3 heads of cabbage aprox 6-7 cups about 250 cal 38 carb
1 28oz can of scalfani peeled tomato about 180 cal 24 carb
3 garlic cloves about 30 cal 3 carbs
1 onion about 40 cal 8 carbs

basil
oregano
celery powder
garlic powder
black pepper
salt

Calories about 4900
net carbs about 95

12x24 backing pan.

I took the hard core out of the 3 cabbage but didn't cut or quarter the cabbage. I boiled them for about 40 minutes while I was doing the other prep. When done I drained them and let them cool a little, then began taking them apart leaf by leaf. It was easy, but careful, they are hot.

I processed the tomatoes some garlic some spices and put it on the stove to cook and thicken up while boiling the cabbage.

I browned the meat with 2 tbsp of oil diced onion and spices.
I didn't drain any fluids, turkey is pretty dry. I then let it cool.

I left some cheddar cheese to the side to top the lasagna, mixed the rest of the cheddar, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese.

I sprayed the baking pan with non stick, then layered the biggest leaves of cabbage so I couldn't see the bottom of the pan. I layered half the meat, half the cheese mix and coated it with sauce. Then used the smaller leaves of the cabbage to cover it. I used the rest of the meat and cheese, coated with sauce then the rest of the big leafs as a top layer. I then covered the top of the cabbage with some of the sauce and then sprinkled on the reserved white cheddar.

baked 350 for about 50 minutes.

It was my first time, and I've already been asked to make it again for my sister who's visiting from out of state soon. I'll have to figure out how to combat some of the water. It will be a little runny because there is no pasta to absorb the fluids, but it cuts and serves like regular lasagna. It is best to wait for it to cool before slicing, our mouths were watering from the scent so we didn't wait.

I cut 10 5x6 inch pieces out of the 12x24 lasagna dish that are about 500 cal and about 9.5 net carbs each. I had 2 as I eat 800-1000 calories per dinner. I could not finish what was on my dish though. It was just too much food.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I got up two weeks ago and decided no more fat shit.

I'm doing the keto thing and loving it. Down 15 pounds in 10 days, but now leveling off to around 3 lbs per week; I have more energy, and feel great. An unanticipated side benefit is that my mild asthma has pretty much vanished with the carbs. I'm also lifting twice per week, and walking decent distances on the days I don't lift.

So far, it's been mostly grilled meats and green veggies, but I'm researching other recipes so that I can increase variety for dinner in particular. The cabbage lasagna above looks really good, and there is going to be a multi-meat chili made this week.

I'm planning pork shoulder, ground beef and chorizo for the chili, with no beans. Hell, I never used beans in the past anyway.

Congratulations and thank you to all who are doing well on their path and contributing here since Arc posted this thread. This thread has been part of my motivation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stumbled on this video last week: How to Fix a Slow Metabolism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1DOJXAXFg

Dr. Berg really knows his stuff. Funniest comment: "This guy's the bob Ross of doctors. His voice is so calming" Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
No crazy diets or exercise plans for me.

I got up to 215 this last spring, now I'm at 197. For the diet me and the wife have just made a real effort to eat better and cleaner, we try to have our bad meals on the weekend then during the week we just eat good. Nothing crazy diet wise. No sugary drinks except some creamer in my coffee.

For exercise I've been doing swimming a couple times a week at the neighborhood pool and more HIIT workouts in my garage. I throw in some cardio usually in the middle of my HIIT and also at the end of the HIIT. Short runs or jump rope. I do lots of burpies and situp type exercises in the HIIT.

I have cut way down on the amount of running I used to do for sure.

Really I only check my weight once a week or so, I really go by my older clothes and if I can fit in them. I only have a couple more pairs of nice shorts that are still a snug when I put them on, and I'm a solid large on my shirts that I get. No more extra large.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

I just saw a quote along the lines of "you have to get healthy first, then you'll lose the weight" and most people try the reverse. Any crash diet to lose the weight..and then I'll be healthy. Nope...

I like to think of it as to start eating "healthy-er" not "healthy" in an absolute sense. Perfect is the enemy of the good.

The 1/2lb Carl's Jr. Burger without the bun is still a fast-food burger. However, the difference between 600 calories and 9g carbs vs. 900 cals and 50+g of carbs is huge. And if we skip the fries and sugary soda, just the "low carb" burger and a no cal drink is still a tasty and satisfying (as well as convenient) fast-food lunch.

Or invert proportions from what most people do; a little bit of veggies and lots of carbs on the plate with the meat. Do lots of veggies, little bit of the starch (if you must) and meat. Still hungry? Eat more meat and/or veggies.

That's my trick for catered buffets, lots of salad and veggies, lots of the meat, just a little bit of the other stuff...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I got up two weeks ago and decided no more fat shit.

I'm doing the keto thing and loving it. Down 15 pounds in 10 days, but now leveling off to around 3 lbs per week; I have more energy, and feel great. An unanticipated side benefit is that my mild asthma has pretty much vanished with the carbs. I'm also lifting twice per week, and walking decent distances on the days I don't lift.

So far, it's been mostly grilled meats and green veggies, but I'm researching other recipes so that I can increase variety for dinner in particular. The cabbage lasagna above looks really good, and there is going to be a multi-meat chili made this week.

I'm planning pork shoulder, ground beef and chorizo for the chili, with no beans. Hell, I never used beans in the past anyway.

Congratulations and thank you to all who are doing well on their path and contributing here since Arc posted this thread. This thread has been part of my motivation.

Good for you man!

A great way to make chili, and other dishes that have beans is to use Edens black soybean. It is one net carb per serving. High protein and healthy fats.

Link to edens black soybean nutrition facts

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Made the cabbage lasagne a couple weeks back it was great! I am easing my way back into keto after the hospital stay. Doc's said I could get back to it just be sure to take note of which foods cause trouble.

I am thrilled that I haven't gained anything after having to eat a low res diet (white bread pasta etc) for weeks after I got out. That was thoroughly depressing after having been so good with a healthy diet since April.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
Made the cabbage lasagne a couple weeks back it was great! I am easing my way back into keto after the hospital stay. Doc's said I could get back to it just be sure to take note of which foods cause trouble.

I am thrilled that I haven't gained anything after having to eat a low res diet (white bread pasta etc) for weeks after I got out. That was thoroughly depressing after having been so good with a healthy diet since April.

Do you have a recipe for the cabbage lasagna?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Welp - here I am

Are you a fat piece of shit?

Don't worry, it's not your fault.

Until you realize you're a fat piece of shit, and do nothing about it. Then, you own it.

Time is not on my side. Today is here.

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Come on in, the water's fine.

It only sucks if you let it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
If I could I'd like to keep the thread focused to life changes, and things we all would generally consider "diets."

Fasting for an extended period of time is well outside the purview, and you'll gain back whatever you lose, if you don't make changes in your life after said fast.

That can be said of any "diet" What works for one may not work for another. To try and discourage one from posting what works for them may may only be suppressing useful info. Take what applies you you and ignore what doesn't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Dave. Mind your business.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was participating in a thread I had posted in, a subject matter I know a little something about. Not by profession but by years of trying this , that and the other thing. Not trying to poke you in the eye.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago I weighed somewhere above 440. I don’t know how much buecausebi didn’t have access to a scale that reads that high.

Then I got with it. Joined a fitness studio that was 100% class based circuit training. I stated eating “whole clean foods”. Within about 2 years I had done some amazing things. I did one of those boot camp things and lost nearly 80lbs in 6 weeks. I ran a half marathon at over 300#s. I was lifting some real heavy weights. At my lowest recorded weight I hit 299. I know for most that still fat as heck, but it nearly brought me to tears. I still had weight to loose but not a ton. My muscle mass was over 220lbs. My body fat was almost to healthy range.

Then we stumbled. We had our second child. That set us back. We traveled a lot for work. That set us back. We had to leave the studio because it was too expensive.

But, I thought we’d be ok. I KNEW how to eat. I KNEW how to exercise. I had all the tools and skills.

But then I learned 2 very important FACTS in my life.

1) I am not disciplined enough, at least with small children, to go to a traditional gym and exercise. I’m simply not. It quickly faded.

2) I am not motivated to eat right if I’m not exercising regularly. It sucks, but it’s reality. A hood workout is what prevents me from getting Carl’s Jr. when I get tempted to eat junk I think “eating that means you wasted that time, effort, and sweat”.

I gained back everything, probably. A couple weeks ago I finally stepped on the scale, terrified. The reading? HVY. Welcome back, chubbs.

So we rejoined the studio. I’m cooking real food again. My best gues is a starting weight of 455. I say that for reference only. I don’t live or die by the weight, my goal was always healthy. Body fat percentage was the number I was worried about. So, the journey begins again. It sucks, but I know how to do it. I know how to win. I can tell I’m dropping. Haven’t set foot on a scale since that HVY reading. Don’t need to, I can feel the difference in my 5XT shirt. I can’t wait to put that 2XT shirt back on and feel comfortable.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
thumperfbc,

Glad to see you are back on the bandwagon.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've been trying different things for the past 20 months, I've gone from 365ish down to 232 today. I've found IF for 24 hours and eating a small zero carb dinner is working and I expect to hit 210 in the next 3 weeks.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
If I could I'd like to keep the thread focused to life changes, and things we all would generally consider "diets."

Fasting for an extended period of time is well outside the purview, and you'll gain back whatever you lose, if you don't make changes in your life after said fast.

That can be said of any "diet" What works for one may not work for another. To try and discourage one from posting what works for them may may only be suppressing useful info. Take what applies you you and ignore what doesn't.

quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:

I was participating in a thread I had posted in, a subject matter I know a little something about. Not by profession but by years of trying this , that and the other thing. Not trying to poke you in the eye.

Let me be plain.

Anyone who starts a thread on a particular topic, we'll call them "OP," the OP has started that topic due to their interest, and they have the right to steer their thread such as to maintain their desired course of inquiry. This is anybody who posts a thread here. Post a thread, and you can decide what is germane to that thread, as its OP.

I started this thread. I can decide where the discussion goes, and I've given suitable reason for that. In regards to "extended fasting," I've judged it outside the useful purview of my thread, as the OP and a member of this forum.

That ought to be enough.

If it's not enough, I'll put on the Moderator hat if necessary, and kindly ask you to stop hassling an OP about the content of their thread.

If anyone wishes to discuss "extended fasting," they can start their own thread on that specific topic. If you've read this thread and absorbed everything that I have said about my own perspective on, as titled, "Fitness, weight loss, dieting," I would hope you'll appreciate my goal of the content here being useful to the "widest" swath of fatsos out there, of which I am one.

For review, extended fasting does not fit this topic as I see it, because it is outside of the scope of what many typically people can or should do, particularly without medical supervision. If it's OK with you guys, I'd like to focus _at least my own thread_ on basic changes and other accessible information for the regular folk.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Food "timing" is very important outside of the area of deliberate "fasting."

Our bodies are hormone driven, so eating late at night is really bad food timing. Insulin release turns off fat burning and turns fat storage on. So to eat, then get the fat storage system turned on, then go to sleep and have the metabolism lower until the morning is no bueno.

Same thing with eating first thing in the am. No, keep the body in that fat burning state (if it even reached it yet) for as long as possible.

The whole 5-6 small meals per day is really bad advice as well. Basically keeps your body digesting food and getting fat storing insulin triggers all day.

Old school 3 meals per day is way better, 2 meals per day would be better still. This would result in some weight loss even if the calories were kept the same.

You don't have to have a "pre-workout" meal either. I just bought a book on sports nutrition with recipes geared towards ultra-endurance athletes. These guys are in the feeding athletes business and even they said that you don't need to eat anything for an under 2hr workout.

Personal experience; I've ran 20 miles on nothing but water (no food eaten that day yet either) without energy issues.