SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Ha! No, I am being good. Although I can do the cream cheese on this diet. I found Keto bagels I can make that are very low carb. Once I make them and if I like them, then they will get slathered with cream cheese from you know where!

If you are making a southern swing in the next few weeks, let me know, please!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Ha! No, I am being good. Although I can do the cream cheese on this diet. I found Keto bagels I can make that are very low carb. Once I make them and if I like them, then they will get slathered with cream cheese from you know where!

If you are making a southern swing in the next few weeks, let me know, please!

Nothing pending at the moment, but I will let you know once I do which I am sure won’t be too long.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Intermittent fasts are fairly easy, particularly if you are already keto adapted.

But, has anyone here tried an extended fast? A week? Two weeks? A month? Longer?

Were you medically supervised?

Did you have any issues or problems?

Did you use any electrolyte supplement? Salt? Lite Salt (i.e. half sodium & half potassium)? How about phosphorus? I can't even find a good supplemental source for that one.

Refeeding?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If I could I'd like to keep the thread focused to life changes, and things we all would generally consider "diets."

Fasting for an extended period of time is well outside the purview, and you'll gain back whatever you lose, if you don't make changes in your life after said fast.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
morning workout (50-ish years old)

run one mile 6:55

dumbbell bench press w/ 50s / v-crunch / pullups x 10 3 super sets

barbell squat / weighted sit ups x 20 / dumbbell supine lat pulls 3 super sets

machine overhead shoulder press / burpees 8-10 reps Confused / cable tricep extension 3 super sets

I am busted feel good though

get off your butt Smile

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
is this MCT oil thing for real?

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
some info on mct oil...

it has been used as an exogenous (ingested) ketone supplement. i believe you get more ketones supplementing with mct oil than coconut oil (which i guess you could say is also an exogenous ketone supplement). it's half life is only several hours, so you don't get the benefit of ketones produced by ketosis - while on a low carb diet, or a ketogenic diet, or a high fat reduced carb diet - which last as long as you are in ketosis (days, weeks, months, years, the rest of your life).

it has been used on dementia and Alzheimer's disease patients as both are a brain energy problem - parts of the brain become resistant to glucose and they can't take in glucose for energy and die. the brain can also use ketones for energy - up to (i think it was) 75 or 80 percent.

so a low carb diet and subsequent ketosis has shown benefits in treating dementia / Alzheimer's - and so has taking mct oil.

there are other benefits of exogenous ketones / mct oil also, though the complete list escapes me atm.

Can ketones compensate for deteriorating brain glucose uptake during aging? Implications for the risk and treatment of Alzheimer's disease. 3-2016

Recommendations for ICT use in Alzheimer's disease assessment: Monaco CTAD Expert Meeting. 2013

Ketogenic Diet Promising for Mild Alzheimer's Disease 3-31-2018

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
after the 4 minute mark - brain uses glucose or ketones...

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
If I could I'd like to keep the thread focused to life changes, and things we all would generally consider "diets."

Fasting for an extended period of time is well outside the purview, and you'll gain back whatever you lose, if you don't make changes in your life after said fast.

Respectfully, this is a complete misunderstanding of what fasting is and how it works. It is not "starvation." Fasting can fit into any "diet", but it most easily fits with LC/HF, keto, NSNG, and the like. Fasting is simple (like not even a challenge) when you are fat-adapted.

Extended fasts serve to lower your body's set weight by bottoming-out your insulin. If you manage coming off an extended fast properly, through diet, you will not gain any weight back. For those that are metabolically broken, fasting and LC/HF "diet" can fix them by lowering their insulin levels and increasing insulin sensitivity.

It's a thing that works for many thousands of people, and it certainly does belong in any discussion of "diet." in 2018.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
quote:

Respectfully, this is a complete misunderstanding of what fasting is and how it works. It is not "starvation." Fasting can fit into any "diet", but it most easily fits with LC/HF, keto, NSNG, and the like. Fasting is simple (like not even a challenge) when you are fat-adapted.

Extended fasts serve to lower your body's set weight by bottoming-out your insulin. If you manage coming off an extended fast properly, through diet, you will not gain any weight back. For those that are metabolically broken, fasting and LC/HF "diet" can fix them by lowering their insulin levels and increasing insulin sensitivity.

It's a thing that works for many thousands of people, and it certainly does belong in any discussion of "diet." in 2018.

Uh, where is the word "starvation" in what I said? I was responding to "extended fasts" of weeks or months, and what I said is true. Without changes in ones life outside of that fast, it's not going to be meaningful long term change.

Consider also, that the majority of people reading this thread either simply aren't going to think about long term fasting, and may not be medically fit to do it.

Intermittent fasting, is technically what I've been doing by eating only once a day, and I've already been told I'm killing my brain etc. etc. Did you read the whole thread?

Arc.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
So I started low carb keto diet several weeks ago. It's been a learning curve for sure but at this point I've averaged 3lbs weight loss per week. I'm sure that will probably drop off in the future as the initial weight loss counts less over time. So far I've lost 15 lbs.

Yep life change for real. Since I began this after quitting nicotine, I've felt an added morale boost.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coconut oil is a mct oil, no need to purchase an oil labeled mct. Probably a lot cheaper too. I always cook with it or I use butter. The refined version has the coconut flavor and smell removed, the unrefined doesn't. I use the unrefined for my coffee and the refined for scrambled eggs. Its all about controlling the hormones Insulin, Leptin and Ghrelin. The last two tells your brain when you are hungry and when you are full. Sugars and processed grains screw all 3 up. High fat foods such as beef, butter, heavy cream, avocados, coconut oil and olive oil(real olive oil, research mislabeled olive oil) controls the 3 hormones and provides satiety.

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also at all cost avoid vegetable and seed oils. Those were developed for industry and for burning in lamps Big Grin. Highly inflammatory to your body as well as processed sugar and grains. I believe that is the cause of most heart disease, obesity and auto immune disease.

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I add coconut oil to coffee in the morning, I'm typically not hungry until lunch. If I'm tired in the morning, coffee with MCT oil tends to wake me up and help my brain focus for a while. Since switching to keto, that's the closest thing to an energy drink I've found.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
If I add coconut oil to coffee in the morning, I'm typically not hungry until lunch. If I'm tired in the morning, coffee with MCT oil tends to wake me up and help my brain focus for a while. Since switching to keto, that's the closest thing to an energy drink I've found.
I agree. I add butter(Kerrygold from Ireland), as well as coconut oil in equal amounts to my coffee. About a tablespoon of each and then add heavy whipping cream. Way better than any "energy" drink.

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crue-dell:
Coconut oil is a mct oil, no need to purchase an oil labeled mct.

MCTs are a specific component of the coconut oil. I think for general use the coconut oil is better health-wise, but some people like the MCT better if their main goal is energy.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
cabbage lasagna. It was an instant hit, even for my parents who are off the boat from Italy and have been in the Italian restaurant business all our lives.

Very filling and 16 net carbs for a huge portion, about 730 calories worth. I mean a big portion...

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
cabbage lasagna. It was an instant hit, even for my parents who are off the boat from Italy and have been in the Italian restaurant business all our lives.

Very filling and 16 net carbs for a huge portion, about 730 calories worth. I mean a big portion...
That looks good.

Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uh, where is the word "starvation" in what I said? I was responding to "extended fasts" of weeks or months, and what I said is true. Without changes in ones life outside of that fast, it's not going to be meaningful long term change.

Consider also, that the majority of people reading this thread either simply aren't going to think about long term fasting, and may not be medically fit to do it.

Intermittent fasting, is technically what I've been doing by eating only once a day, and I've already been told I'm killing my brain etc. etc. Did you read the whole thread?

Yes, I read the thread.

The self-discipline involved in personal diet management is key in any of this. So if you want to keep the discussion germane, why not focus on that? If you don't have discipline, none of the rest matters.

I mentioned starvation because that is what most people think when they see the word "fasting." You do OMAD, and mentioned IF early on, but you're bagging on extended fasts. That makes no sense.

The principles are identical, whether it's OMAD, 16:8, or extended periods. It's merely how you manage coming off the fast. With OMAD or 16:8, eat normally. With 48+ hour fasts, you need to manage differently.

Extended fasts should be prepared-for by making dietary changes. The after-period can be managed by dietary changes. It's all diet-related. If someone is severely overweight, fasting can heal them, period. Fasting is the ultimate dietary management tool. It takes discipline and research to make it work, just like any "diet."

Professional help is available through the The Intensive Dietary Management Program.

I apologize if I'm being a dick here, but I believe the benefits are too great to not have this as part of the discussion. I'll lay off if you remain unconvinced.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'll say it again. The goal here is for information that MOST PEOPLE will use to get out there. Most people, will not be fasting for weeks or months.

If you want to start a thread on fasting for weeks and months, go for it.

I'm not interested in being convinced of anything regarding extended fasting, because at no point, will I be fasting for weeks or months, just like MOST PEOPLE.

Drop it.

Arc.