SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've plateaued a bit. But I'll fix that.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I have lost 11 pounds so far, but I have also plateaued. I need to work out or reduce alcohol now to probably lose more. I have been following a strict Keto diet; other than alcohol. I was going to make cauliflower crust pizza tonight, but I was still stuffed from a keto cheese and broccoli soup I made for lunch so I will do the pizza tomorrow.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I start my low carb/low sugar way of eating tomorrow. I have done a lot of research into it and recipes for alternatives to bread. Tomorrow morning I will make English Muffins with only 4 carbs and have it with eggs and sausage. Lunch will be tuna salad I made, 1 carb per serving, in butter lettuce wraps.

My biggest thing will be having to stop drinking. I am not an alcoholic, but I like to have 2-4 drinks each evening and now it will need to be zero.

The Jenny Craig diet me and my wife did was bullshit. It was purely a calorie reduction diet with tons of carbs and sugar. I saw almost no results. I am sure I will see results on this new way of eating.

I've been doing keto / low carb / low sugar for 1.5 years now. Once you're acclimated to keto in 2 or 3 months, you should be able to have a shot or two of whiskey or vodka. That's generally not enough to throw you out of ketosis. Note also that alcohol frequently has a stronger affect when on keto.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have lost 11 pounds so far, but I have also plateaued. I need to work out or reduce alcohol now to probably lose more. I have been following a strict Keto diet; other than alcohol. I was going to make cauliflower crust pizza tonight, but I was still stuffed from a keto cheese and broccoli soup I made for lunch so I will do the pizza tomorrow.

10/11 pounds isn't progress yet. With many dietary changes it can be just water. Hang in there.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Are those jelly donuts in your foot locker?

Arc.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Visiting family and friends down south rewarded me with an extra ~10lbs, which is fat for me and my 6ft lean self and about the most I've ever weighed. I should be rocking 190, maybe 195, and I'm all up around 204, right in the midsection too, the result of bunches of cornbread, gumbo, fried chicken, and fish frys, etc, with heaping helpings of tacos and chips/salsa as a staple. I need to chill out with that action.

I've spent my whole life eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and my carb intake in general is well above average. I mean, I don't eat drive through or drink lots of sodas, but won't think twice about a homemade grilled cheese on sourdough with ample amounts of real butter and spicy mayo, three kinds of cheese, and other similarly good/bad things. I've eaten lots of quality food, just too much of if, and too much fatty business.

But now that I'm past 45 it's finally obvious that I need to make a few lasting changes. Plus there's Alzheimer's and some cases of Diabetes in my family, and that shit is a sobering reminder to see, and loads of fat asses as well (cousins and such who are upwards of two times my size), and I'm determined to never be either of those things if I can help it.

Recent repeated travel has screwed with my exercise regimen and that with the fatty foods are a brutal mistress. I love good and fatty food, and this is going to suck. I'd just as soon have ice cream every damn day than eat a salad. I don't even like most common healthy foods. This sort of thing may very well be the toughest strain on my willpower to date.

Not excited about this at all, but realize its necessity and am getting back into a routine, starting with working on my attitude, with goals, and that jazz.

Timely thread, with lots of good posts.

I'm fat as fuck, for me, and I'm going to fix it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I hated salads in the beginning but now I could eat a grilled chicken salad every day of the year. Trick for me was a pink Apple, cut up, grape tomatoes and Raspberry vinaigrette light dressing with low-fat cheese. Now I enjoy salads.

I’m on the other side of this so bad that my cheat meal last night after my hardest workout of the week (2.75 hours) I had an angus burger (no bread, just the patty, some cheese and sprinkled some bbq on it) and a small sweet potato. That’s my worse meal of the entire week. Proud of myself. Usual cheat meal was a burger, fries, and coke. Moved on.

I came up with a new regular meal this week that I’m adding to the rotation. Turkey burger patties at Costco. They have 30g of protein. I skillet one, throw on some seasoning, and eat it with a big serving of no sugar apple sauce. About 12-15 minutes to cook both sides. With the applesauce I bet it’s 400 calories. I love finding new, simple, high protein meals, that are quick to make, high in protein and low calories for use at night when my activity lowers.

Killer week for me. Decided no more cheat meal outside of my kitchen. 100% of my meals now are out of my kitchen. Also found a new replacement for my La Croix carbonated water. Newer brand called “bubly”. More carbonated than La Croix, and tastes so much better. They were outta lime so I bought strawberry and mango varieties. Great water man and now #2 behind Topo Chico for me. I used to love soft drinks. I’d have a Coke in the morning instead of coffee with Agave like I do now. And I mean I loved soda. That morning Coke, I’d put it in the freezer to the point of near freezing it. This assortment of flavored carbonated water has beeen a God send. I hit this water like Tom Brady hits Gisele. If I have to drink tap water I call it peasant water now Big Grin

Altered my workout regiment this week as well. I’m doing so much weight that I just don’t want to get any bigger and grow more mass. Dropped my weight slightly and increasing reps from 10 to 15 per set. Hack squats for eaxample, I touch my bum down to get full benefit and I was doing 270, 3 sets, then 250 lbs on Smith squats for 3 sets. Dropped to 230-250 on hacks, depending on how I feel, 15 reps, then 200 on Smith squats going 15 reps. My legs are completely fried. Upper body, same thing, dropped 20 lbs per set and upped reps to 15. I also bought a set of ab straps recently. Haven’t used them for years, oh my lawd my abs feel like I’ve worked them for the first time in my life. I guess I’ll be working on a six pack for the time in over a decade. New target is 8% body fat by January. Sitting at 11-12% now. A guy that works out at the same time I do, just turned 50, and he is at 6% body fat. He is a smaller Vietnamese man but my current inspiration. He continually pushes himself so I decided I should push some more as well.

Wherever you are along the line. Keep pushing yourself. Step by step, day by day, get better at something, even if something small. Over time, if you work slowly, every angle, you can be as fit as anyone there is. Best of luck to all.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Those salad suggestions do sound good. A good vinegarette can be great, and those little tomatoes are good. I've just never been a leafy greens person (insert Pot joke). I do enjoy super fresh Baby Spinach, when it's cold and crisp. I should eat that more often I guess.

I've had some amazing Turkey Burgers. Best so far had a bit of Gruyere cheese mixed in with the ground turkey, and included a big slice of grilled Red Pepper and a little Garlic Aioli on the lightly-toasted whole-wheat sandwich round (flat bun thing). Juicy, and good.

Salmon "Burgers" are good, too. I buy them by the box at Costco. Fish, in general, when not fried (which I love) is great. Grilled Fish Tacos, with thin Corn Tortillas, fresh salsa/pico. A squeeze of fresh lime. It's a shame fresh Gulf Shrimp aren't less expensive/more common.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I'm down 70.3 lbs since april 5th and I haven't done any exercise.

I also haven't seen my glucose over 125 in 2 months testing 3 times a day.

I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in since 2011.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:

Great job.....

I am now on my third course of anibiotics. and second of steriods so i havent even bothered checking my blood sugar. But I have been working out pretty good considering I am fighting an infection. Havent checked my weight but I am down 20 so far!!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This thread has been very informative and motivational.

If one fasts several days to get to ketosis and then severely reduced intake of sugars and carbs what is the impact and dangers associated with type 2 medications especially insulin that one may be on?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:

Awesome, keep it up. I am down 150 and have kept it off for 2 years. Feeling amazing and have a new life.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trains Not Taken Are Gone.
posted Hide Post
I'm down an even 100lbs since Halloween 2017. I’m unable to exercise like many here do because of neurological issues so I walk with my dog when I’m able. I’ve done it being vigilant and recording everything I eat using an app called Lose It. I’ve had much help and support from my long suffering wife she makes the most amazing salads with homemade dressing that taste as good as they look and together we make great low calorie soups.

----------------------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Know which hill you're willing to die on.

Posts: 92 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I'm at my heaviest I've ever been right now. 5'7" and 258lbs. When I got married 25 years ago I fluctuated between 145-150lbs. I'm almost twice the man I used to be. In the past I've been able to cut calories and workout and lose weight. In the past I've been able to drop down to 200 or so but haven't been able to break 200.

I'm in the process of firing my doctor. I have some issues with BP and I am obviously obese. Last year, against my better judgement, I agreed to go on a statin drug. In the course of a year I have found that when I try to exercise and cut calories I simply don't lose weight anymore. Additionally, my BP now requires 2 medications to manage. My most recent bloodwork isn't great but my overall risk of some coronary event has stayed essentially the same and my doctor wants to increase my statin even though I'm not even at the level of risk requiring a statin. Also, in the past year I have suffered from cravings much more than I used to.

I've been putting off trying the diet and exercise until now to get my ducks in a row. I've been walking some and will soon be hitting the heavy bag and going back to the gym to hit the weights.

Here's my plan-

1)Quit smoking- I'm 1 month nicotine free as of today.

2)Stop taking the statin I don't actually need- done today

3)Begin Keto diet- started yesterday

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. Having ditched the almost 35year habit of nicotine cold turkey I know I have the willpower to make these changes. This thread is a great motivator and resource as well.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Is anyone doing weekly Weight Watchers meetings and following their program?
I'm currently doing WW but not the meetings. Just tracking points with the app.

So far I'm down about 45lbs since mid Jan when I started WW. The last 6 weeks have been tough with all the parties, picnics, beerfests and wine tastings I pretty much have gone stagnant. I gain a few pounds one week, lose them the next, repeat.

But with the summer coming to an end it should be clear sailing until Thanksgiving.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Eating once a day is really working for me. I can go all day without any peaks or valleys in energy.

For years I tried to figure out what to eat for lunch where I wouldn't have an afternoon crash.

The answer, nothing.

Arc.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You aren’t sneaking in bagels and cream cheese from you know where, are ya? Wink

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:

You aren’t sneaking in bagels and cream cheese from you know where, are ya? Wink

Ha! No, I am being good. Although I can do the cream cheese on this diet. I found Keto bagels I can make that are very low carb. Once I make them and if I like them, then they will get slathered with cream cheese from you know where!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you who are taking several Medications, look for this book at your local Library:

"Do you really need that Pill"? - Jennifer Jacobs.

Book's a real eye opener about Statins and BP reduction Meds.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post