SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i've never counted a calorie in my life.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I don’t specially count calories either. But I know which meal plans will show good results on my SECA 876 scale. I weigh myself first thing EVERY morning.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edit: Saw Dave's post below thanking esdunbar, found his post from early in the thread, no need to cover the same ground.
I'll leave this video as a refresher.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: springnr,

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
i've never counted a calorie in my life.

Uh, good for you?

It's just a tool that works for some people. It's a guideline, considering that calorie measurements are inaccurate and how we each use energy is different.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thank you ESDunbar! Wow that was informative

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keeping track of calories and setting up a caloric deficit certainly works and I incorporate that as a component when I want to shed some fat.

That said, what you eat and when definitely matters. At one end of the spectrum, you could just eat junk; pizza, carbs, fast food, candy-whatever, and so long as you have the deficit, will lose weight. However...this will be very hard to stick with long-term because these junk foods are calorically dense (so your eating less volume, less "filling"), nutrient deficient, and will set up blood sugar spikes and crashes. Your body will be sending major hunger signals due to the caloric deficit, lower amount of food, nutrient deficiency, and blood sugar lows.

On the other end of the spectrum would be really healthy foods such as just eating high quality grass fed meats and lots of veggies. These foods are very nutrient dense, will not spike blood sugar at all and will be a lot of volume (how much broccoli is 500 cals worth?). It would be very difficult to over-eat just healthy meats and veggies.

Of course most of us (myself included) will fall between the range of super-healthy foods and total junk. But, to think that only calories matter is technically correct, but a huge set-up for a real world long term weight loss fail for most people. Not to mention un-healthy.

Or, picture the difference between how hungry you feel late morning after a B-fast of toast, jam and oatmeal with brown sugar vs. a B-fast of just eggs and bacon. The eggs/bacon would likely be less calories but should satisfy you easy until lunch.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Want to lose weight? This simple graphic nails it. #1: “A calorie deficit”.

https://mol.im/a/7679261

A calorie deficit not only lowers your body fat it also diminishes your muscle tissue. That's something I don't want.

The key for me was controlling insulin response. It's a hormonal issue, not necessarily a calorie issue.

Changing my diet was not only for controlling weight, it's also for health (ridding myself of inflammation and unnecessary immune responses) and this animal body what it actually needs to thrive.

Posts: 45371 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

A calorie deficit not only lowers your body fat it also diminishes your muscle tissue. That's something I don't want.

Not necessarily and certainly not in my experience. So long as you have excess body fat why would your body cannibalize healthy muscle tissue for energy? Makes no sense. Not if you have a reasonable amount of muscle (not a bunch extra like a bodybuilder) and not if you are continuing to do resistance training.

The best way to lose muscle quickly would be to be bed-ridden like in a hospital. Can lose up to 7lb per week that way. OTOH, you could go into a 100% calorie deficit via a multi-day fast and so long as you continue to workout, studies have shown that only 4% of weight lost would be lean tissue.

So; if you fasted for 14 days and lost a whopping 10lbs off of the scale...only .4 lbs would be lean tissue which could also be excess skin cells, scar tissue etc. not necessarily muscle (and negligible anyway especially after a multi-week fast!)

From personal experience I decided to do something crazy and see if I could complete a 100mi ultra-marathon. Traditionally, I didn't run much at all for fitness. Instead I did mostly body weight strength training, kettlebells, HIIT etc.

Anyway, common wisdom says you "burn muscle" for energy during very long runs. Nope! Over the course of nearly 2 years I went from running 6mi per month to up to 70mi per week and my strength training went from 3-4x per week to maybe 1. At the end I really hit the diet hard to lose as much as possible (carrying 10 less lbs 100mi is a big deal), got into the high 160s at 5'10 which is very light for me. I'm sure I lost a little muscle mostly due to not strength training so much, but visually I couldn't tell and I certainly didn't turn into the stereotypical endurance runner body type (which would have been OK).

Point is, "functional" muscle retention is very persistent so long as you have any excess fat to burn and keep up with resistance training to at least some degree.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Want to lose weight? This simple graphic nails it. #1: “A calorie deficit”.

https://mol.im/a/7679261

<snip>

Read the “Highly Advisable” part of my link.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another key to my success is weigh yourself every day at the same time. For me it is get up, use the restroom, then weigh in.

Some days it can be frustrating when you are on a temporary plateau, but if you are honest in your program (whatever it is, calorie counting, or other diet program), you know that you are doing it right and the weight loss will come. Obviously if you have no weight loss for an extended period of time, something is wrong (if your intent is weight loss).

I will also adjust my eating habits if stuck at one weight for awhile - switch up the day's meals to more high protein, put in some extra exercise to push through it, or cut a snack out of the day.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On a Wing
and a Prayer
Picture of Pilken
posted Hide Post
I really needed to get back in shape after my "accident", and by "accident" I mean getting unhealthily out of shape and fat.

At one point in my gluttonous gastric career I weighed almost 30% more than I weigh now. My cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure were off the charts and my blood sugar was going up to pre-diabetic levels. Doctors wanted to put me on statins before I reached the age of 30.

I've been slowly changing my lifestyle choices to try to get healthier and healthier. "The accident" almost killed me - I just got blood work back and I have a bit further to go - nothing in the red - a few elevated levels but nothing I can't get under control once McRib season is over Smile

-------------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2624 | Location: FINALLY just outside of Chicagoland | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
calorie deficit
The calorie debacle 10-31-16

Calories in – Calories Out will not / does not work. Keeping track of calories and hoping to burn them with exercise will not / does not work.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
A calorie deficit not only lowers your body fat it also diminishes your muscle tissue.

This is not true.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
calorie deficit
The calorie debacle 10-31-16

Calories in – Calories Out will not / does not work. Keeping track of calories and hoping to burn them with exercise will not / does not work.

It may not "work" long-term in practice due to a host of factors including hormonal, psychological etc. having to do with the individual trying it and all their physical, mental and emotional "baggage", but it definitely works on a pure biological level.

I went to that link, even if BMR is reduced along with a calorie deficit, that doesn't prove calorie reduction or cals in/cals out doesn't work, it just means that the person isn't keeping up with the equation and adjusting.

A modest calorie reduction combined with the introduction of reasonable exercise (including resistance training) and a slow change of diet from mostly junk to more nutritious foods most certainly works.

A crash very low-cal diet with lots of cardio? That "classic" approach will result in big short-term losses then an epic fail due to a slowed metabolism combined with the person being miserable, not feeling like it is a way to live long-term and having their emotional baggage get in the way leading to non-compliance.

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:

Not necessarily and certainly not in my experience. So long as you have excess body fat why would your body cannibalize healthy muscle tissue for energy? Makes no sense. Not if you have a reasonable amount of muscle (not a bunch extra like a bodybuilder) and not if you are continuing to do resistance training.

The best way to lose muscle quickly would be to be bed-ridden like in a hospital. Can lose up to 7lb per week that way. OTOH, you could go into a 100% calorie deficit via a multi-day fast and so long as you continue to workout, studies have shown that only 4% of weight lost would be lean tissue.

So; if you fasted for 14 days and lost a whopping 10lbs off of the scale...only .4 lbs would be lean tissue which could also be excess skin cells, scar tissue etc. not necessarily muscle (and negligible anyway especially after a multi-week fast!)

From personal experience I decided to do something crazy and see if I could complete a 100mi ultra-marathon. Traditionally, I didn't run much at all for fitness. Instead I did mostly body weight strength training, kettlebells, HIIT etc.

Anyway, common wisdom says you "burn muscle" for energy during very long runs. Nope! Over the course of nearly 2 years I went from running 6mi per month to up to 70mi per week and my strength training went from 3-4x per week to maybe 1. At the end I really hit the diet hard to lose as much as possible (carrying 10 less lbs 100mi is a big deal), got into the high 160s at 5'10 which is very light for me. I'm sure I lost a little muscle mostly due to not strength training so much, but visually I couldn't tell and I certainly didn't turn into the stereotypical endurance runner body type (which would have been OK).

Point is, "functional" muscle retention is very persistent so long as you have any excess fat to burn and keep up with resistance training to at least some degree.

Good post. I went on a calorie deficit when I started intermittent fasting. I lost weight but did not lose muscle mass or strength. You really have to research the subject, try different things and see what works for you. What works for one does not work for all. I too do not like counting calories. It is tedious to me. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, it just wasn't for me. I kept it simple by properly dividing up the dinner plate between protein and carbs and trying to avoid processed foods and sweets. Jeff Cavalier on Youtube has been a great resource for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
IME, cutting cals is fine as long as you don't cut protein. If you just fast, your body will take muscle for the protein it needs. Won't happen overnight or even in a few days, but continued fasting without protein will eventually result in loss of muscle even if you do strength resistance workouts.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Most people who are risk of that happening, aren't trying to lose weight.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Remaining overweight in order to prevent potential minimal muscle loss isn't a compelling argument to me.

I'll drop the weight, lose some muscle, then work to regain any (minimal) muscle loss.

But that's my choice.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you guys found this valuable. You don't lose muscle, until all the fat is gone.

Arc.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Caloric restriction vs. periodic fasting and the importance of re-feeding after a fast

^ this is a clip from a longer Rhonda Patrick interview Dr. Longo (fasting mimicking diet). it covers the importance of the refeed after fasting.

This is the original video (1 hour 18min !).