SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    76 Iowa LEO students hospitalized for CO poisoning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

76 Iowa LEO students hospitalized for CO poisoning Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
ILEA CO leak

Ironically, I was just in the main building a week or two ago looking at a desk that was for a gov deals online auction. I assume this CO leak was in the dorms. Sounds like the LEO students will be OK for the most part. Stay safe everyone.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone appears to be OK and recovering.

However, that story doesn't make sense as you wouldn't smell anything from CO. Now, if they had a natural gas leak the mercaptan (i.e. the obnoxious odorant added to gas) would be able to be smelled. I guess a gas appliance / furnace with some horribly incomplete combustion of the natural gas could have CO, natural gas, and mercaptan as a by-product.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The odor may have been a coincidence. I can tell you 100% that the students had elevated CO levels.

The ILEA facility is a dump. It's shameful on a good day and dangerous on a bad day. They had a major water issue flood a large part of the dorms recently. There's never any money to replace the facility.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post