SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Excavators 101: Update page 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excavators 101: Update page 4 Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
PHPaul's thread went down the excavator road so I thought I start a new one. I am thinking about one. I could really use one on my homestead. Something to clear land, log, grade, push, pile, do a little road building. etc.

Renting is not a good option. A mini is too small. I started looking on the Machinery Trader website and it would seem like one could be had for $25k+-. These machines look pretty good. On average they are about 10 years old and have maybe 2000-2500 hours.

I am thinking Kubota, Bobcat, Cat, JD. Others.

I would like to get some thoughts as I really do not have anything figured out other than a budget of $20-28k maybe.

So Help me out here. I do not want buy something that I have to sink money into right of the reel. I need a read to go machine. If it leaves the place I will either drive it of hire someone to move it.

Thanks guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to give some guidance in the other thread. But here goes. I own CAT equipment. Why, because the parts and support system is a 1000x better than everyone else. Now what I happen to own in terms of excavators stuff I cannot move myself due to size. If you buy something that you can move then that may be less of an issue. In my area only CAT and JD have mobile support. But there are 3rd parties that may fill the gap in your area. Now if that is not a major issue then the rest will be lots cheaper to own and service. These machines have a meaningful service life of around 10K hours. Not that you won't have some issues before then, but you should normally expect a machine in the 2000hr range to be well sorted and not needing too much. Now it varies a bit by the track system. If you are looking at steel machines getting 3K from a track is pretty good. New bottom on a midsized machine is $5K but that's not huge overall and likely one time over the life of the machine in your use. And you can run the old one to destruction assuming you can get the machine out of whereever it fails. If you are looking at small rubber machines figure half or even less of that in terms of life, but less on the costs. If you give a little bit of comment on the size machine you think is appropriate, I will continue this with more specifics...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I am thinking 28hp to 50 hp. I know this is a bit of a wide range.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I know equipment preferences for specific tasks varies a bit from one part of the country to another. Around here somebody looking to do those things you listed would probably be shopping highlifts (crawler loaders) over excavators.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused by that, crawler loaders have essentially disapeared from the market overall.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am thinking 28hp to 50 hp. I know this is a bit of a wide range.

OK those will all be mini machines at best in the 12K range. two price decisions Cab and blade. Not sure your location, but I won't own a machine without a cab. Bugs versus me, and winter versus me. I want something to respect my age. AC might be optional depending on the brand and size. More cost but more comfort.
Blade is straight dozing, not VPAT. Also increases lifting capacity.
I know CAT machines best, but aside from capacity compared to my current machines most people would be plenty happy with a 305.5 or similar. Most projects (especially if digging) will be great, lifts most things and is easy to maintain. At this size all will be rubber tracked so you have that issue versus your terrain. Not the best if you are working with it as a forestry machine, but again not sure your terrain.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I am in a forest environment. Cab would be a luxury. So what kind of a good machine can I get for $23-28k?

I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Kubota and Deere (prob others) offer ability to “build” your equipment and price it online.

Posts: 1826 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've known a few people who have purchased excavators over the years and they have all regretted not getting a bigger one.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I've known a few people who have purchased excavators over the years and they have all regretted not getting a bigger one.

I haven’t regretted not buying a bigger excavator, but I have had a few tasks where I wouldn’t have minded a bigger machine for the task. I’ve had a few tasks I wish I had a long reach for too, but not enough to justify owning one...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
There are a ton of variables to consider. An enclosed cab is well worth the money in my opinion. The blade has its advantages and disadvantages. It does offer more stability and lifting capacity but can also create excessive wear on the undercarriage as an excavator is designed to dig rather than push material. You’ll definitely want a hydraulic thumb although mechanical thumbs are better than nothing.
Beware grey market machines! They will be similar to US models and most parts are interchangeable but authorized dealers won’t service them or sell parts for them. New machines are expensive. Used machines aren’t cheap. Prior maintenance makes and breaks a machine. A well maintained machine with 4000 hours is much better than a poorly maintained machine with 2000 hours. In terms of durability I believe the smaller machines aren’t designed to last as long as larger machines. You’ll notice 5-8 ton machines with 3-5000 hours max typically but larger machines routinely have 10000+ hours.
If you’re handy you can do a lot of your own maintenance and minor repairs. Be sure to grease the machine every day. It really increases the life of the machine. Stock up on supplies such as hydraulic fluid, grease etc. you’ll probably need some larger sockets etc as the machines will typically have larger hardware.
I have an older Cat 8 ton machine which I use around the farm. I was moving dirt two evenings ago and blew a hydraulic hose. I pulled the hose today and will have a new hose made tomorrow. Will probably cost $100 or so. Not cheap but not terrible. My machine is far from perfect and I’ve had to bring in a mechanic a few times to work on it. However it’s usually more convenient To own this less than perfect machine than rent a newer nicer machine.
Your budget isn’t bad but I’m afraid the machines you’re seeing will have some issues. I strongly recommend you take a good mechanic with you to evaluate the machine prior to purchasing. Another option is purchasing a used rental unit from United. They will provide service from their techs after the sale for their standard rate. They tend to maintain their machines pretty well. Financing is available as well. Auctions are hit and miss. Good luck!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What part of the country are you in? You mentioned that renting was not an option. Are you sure? Renting a machine is the best way to evaluate one prior to purchase, and get some work done.

Tell us more about what you want to do? They make excavators in many sizes and configurations. I know why I bought mine, but your needs are most likely different.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beware grey market machines! They will be similar to US models and most parts are interchangeable but authorized dealers won’t service them or sell parts for them.

That wasn't my experience with what turned out to be a grey market Cat 312B. The local dealer bitched a bit, then set me up with the Japanese parts manual for my machine, the US parts manual for the US version of it, and the service manual. The parts lookup takes a little longer, as I have to go through two books to make sure I am getting the right part, but I've never had any problems getting the needed parts, typically by 5am the next morning at the local Cat drop box.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I am in a similar area to you Stlhead.

Other than what I posted about use and needs what else do you want to know?

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have had a construction company for the past 37 years and have owned primarily CAT equipment
The primary reason for owning CAT equipment is their mobile field service techs who (around here anyway) are the best and can quickly diagnose and repair the situation.

They are, on average, more durable than most of the other brands. They are, on average, more expensive to repair when needed.

I’m still not sure exactly sure what you want to do with an excavator but will tell you that 20-28K will not buy much of a machine around here.

I have had good luck buying used equipment from the regional CAT rental fleet. At least I know all the maintenance was performed properly and you can usually do a lease to own if you want to try one out to be able to make sure the model you choose is the right size for your needs.

Be sure to post pics when you get one!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

I haven’t regretted not buying a bigger excavator, but I have had a few tasks where I wouldn’t have minded a bigger machine for the task. I’ve had a few tasks I wish I had a long reach for too, but not enough to justify owning one...

I hear you. I have a small tractor here on the farm (31 hp) and at times I have wished for a larger machine but mine will generally get any job done but just takes longer. I suspect the same is true for excavators.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm confused by that, crawler loaders have essentially disapeared from the market overall.

Still very common around here. Just about every builder is using them for basements. Also being used to clear land and push roads.

About the only time we see excavators doing basement work is when there is a lot of rock in the ground. You never seen them doing much clearing or road construction.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I bought a traditional compact tractor in 2003, a Kubota B7800. 30hp, FEL, and 3 point hitch. If I had it to do over again, I definitely would get a TLB (tractor-loader-backhoe), which has a frame mounted backhoe. The optional hoes that mount and unmount on the rear just aren't sturdy enough. Digging here in AZ is a royal pain, which I didn't know at the time. The soil is hard, compacted, and full of caliche and rocks. The FEL is great, with the removable bucket and pallet fork frame to go in its place. The 3 point hitch carries a counterweight/tool carrier (rakes, shovels, etc) 90% of the time, or as needed the Land Pride landscape rake with a drop down blade. I'm not sure what level of HP model one would want for the backhoe, but I bet it's more than 30HP. Fortunately, we have several neighbors that have larger TLBs, and we can call on them for the more extensive digging projects.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are in Washington, Idaho, or Montana, you can rent. If you are way off the beaten path, there will be some delivery charge, but you are gonna have that anyway.

Last year I rented a 10,000# machine for a couple months and it did everything I needed. It was a little slow for some things, and I felt a larger machine would be nice, but it did the job. I used what I learned while renting to decide exactly what I had to have. For me that turned out to be a new takeuchi TB260 with thumb, angle blade, rubber tracks, two speed, open station. It’s a 12,500# machine, and it does all I need it to do. It is not fast at the toughest jobs, but I get through them. No heat or AC for me, but no glass to replace either, and I did not have to pay the premium. If I would be in it 40 hours a week I might get the cab, but for me the simplicity of open is way better, I seem to be off and on the thing all the time anyway. My ranch is 10% fields and 90% trees.

I got quotes from Kubota, and Tak, and the Tak was cheaper, and I preferred it. The Cat dealer did not seem interested in my business, and the Bobcat seemed overpriced and unresponsive. I already had a Tak skid steer and it is swell. Both my tractors are orange. Spent about 60k,looked for a used one first, couldn’t find a deal I liked so I went new and got exactly what I wanted, showed up in 3 or 4 weeks. I tend to buy new equipment and keep it a long time.

If I had a 30k budget, I would probably just rent a machine for a couple months each year and for the occasional week here and there if work stacked up. If you find yourself wanting a machine more often then buy.

If you are within a days drive and want to come play with my machine you are welcome to.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By crawler loader do you mean compact track loader (skid steer with rubber tracks)? They are everywhere, but true track loaders (dozers with loader buckets) are becoming much less common. And neither can do the work of an excavator.