SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hardwood Floor care?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardwood Floor care? Login/Join 
posted
I have original hardwood floors in my home {built in 1925) which have been sanded and sealed and now I'm just trying to keep them looking good. I have tried just mopping with water and a floor cleaner. I have read that using chemicals such vinegar will over time dull the floor, my next thought was the wet Swiffer, however I thought I would ask the brain trust first. So my question is, what is everyone using to keep their floors looking sharp and not streaked?

Welcome to my home, that door you just kicked in, was locked for your protection, not mine.

Posts: 79 | Location: South St. Louis | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Wife uses ZEP hardwood floor cleaner. Floors were installed 20yrs ago.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a lot of Bona products in the restoration business. Side note for anybody else reading, on today’s pre finished floors pay close attention to the manufacturers instructions for cleaning and care. Almost ate $7k in flooring on a job site a while back, learned real fast after that.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
ditto Bona

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Bona. It's a great product. My house has the OG floors from 1908. Eek

Bona Kit

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yep, Bona. Very easy to use. Just squirt as you go and use the Bona micro fiber mop. (not actually a mop.. more like a frame to hold the micro fiber cloth) Use this after vacuuming and/or using a swiffer dry mop. Floors come out clean and shinny but unlike some other products we've tried, not slick even in stocking feet. In using this Bona product for many years, I've yet to detect any build up. I think it recleans itself as you use it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, I knew I'd get good info here. Looks like I'm headed to Bed Bath and Beyond to finally use one of those 20% off coupons they keep sending me.. Thanks again for the information and help.. Bob

Welcome to my home, that door you just kicked in, was locked for your protection, not mine.

Posts: 79 | Location: South St. Louis | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I use a Hoover Floormate Deluxe. Scrubs, rinses, and dries with no streaking.

I must have tried a dozen different methods before buying this and now I won't use anything else.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
My wife likes Bruce floor cleaner for ours

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have oak strip floors with water-based poly that was done around 2006. I used to get small bottles of Bona concentrate to dilute myself. When the local dealer had to re-stock and raised their price a bunch, I ended up finding a place to buy jugs of Basic Squeaky cleaner concentrate. I buy a new jug every 12 to 18 months. You dilute it 5:1. I haven't looked into the Bona lately, but I used to only see it pre-diluted. We use their microfiber mop.

Posts: 36 | Location: GA | Registered: June 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Bona products as well. Lowe's seems to sell the entire line for a good price.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I started with a Shark steam mop and quickly learned that was bad. I have used Bona since.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post