SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Kurds are on their own, we're reducing our presence in Syria
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Kurds are on their own, we're reducing our presence in Syria Login/Join 
posted
Statement from the Press Secretary
quote:
Today, President Donald J. Trump spoke with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey by telephone. Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria. The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces, having defeated the ISIS territorial “Caliphate,” will no longer be in the immediate area.

The United States Government has pressed France, Germany, and other European nations, from which many captured ISIS fighters came, to take them back, but they did not want them and refused. The United States will not hold them for what could be many years and great cost to the United States taxpayer. Turkey will now be responsible for all ISIS fighters in the area captured over the past two years in the wake of the defeat of the territorial “Caliphate” by the United States.

I HATE the fact we're leaving and the Kurds, who've been our staunchest ally in the region for decades, will now be subject to the Turks, with likely ethnic cleansing. ON the other hand, we've been there a long time, it's time to go. Operations in Syria was done right, after 15+ years in Afghanistan/Iraq, military leadership finally grasped the concepts of unconventional warfare and was able to articulate that to civilian leadership.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I read on Fox that it was moving less than 25 soldiers from the border.

I'm not sure what to think about though...

Good/Bad???

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Kurds were invaluable in providing assistance and support to us so many areas. Make no mistake, we just dealt them to the wolves.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
The Kurds were invaluable in providing assistance and support to us so many areas. Make no mistake, we just dealt them to the wolves.

Ditto! Just not right, imho.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I was reading that the Kurds are very well supplied, trained and battle hardened and will not be easy for the Turks to deal with especially since Edrogan purged a lot of the military leadership.

I also saw that we are no longer sharing drone feeds etc with the Turks.

Finally while the Kurds may loose a 20 mile swath of Syria to the Turks they will maintain defacto control of a large part of Syria including the very lucrative oil feeds.

Like you guys I’m concerned about this but I think there might be more to this than meets the eye.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Kurds will just have to find their own whey.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Booooooo. That's just plain bad Boss.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
...but what will the ___________ people do without the US Armed Forces boots on the ground on every street corner. (Fill in any threatened humans)

In all seriousness maybe they should invade Chicago.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There have been a few incidents earlier where the Turks attacked Kurds with imbedded US Advisors. The Turks damn well know there were US advisors in the area.

Trump is just getting the troops out of there, for their own safety, cause the Turks do not care.

The Germans have been holding back letting the Turks get new Leopard II A6 tanks to replace the A4, which the Kurds are able to take out with US and/or Russian ant-tank weapons.

The US can't use military power against a NATO ally - openly. Who knows, perhaps, some 'supplies' are being left behind for the Kurds on accident.

President Trump did threaten Turkey with severe economic sanctions, in a new bite I heard today.

We'll see what happens.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
...but what will the ___________ people do without the US Armed Forces boots on the ground on every street corner. (Fill in any threatened humans)

In all seriousness maybe they should invade Chicago.

Just turn it over to UN Peacekeepers

Roll Eyes

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Erdogan has been slipping his foot into the door trying to slowly ease Turkey back to the middle ages since the mid ‘90’s when we pressured Turkey into letting him run and become Mayor of Istanbul after they banned his ass from politics because of his militant muslim activism . He went on to purge of the military which had protected the secular reforms made by Ataturk and showed his true colors. The good guys are all in jail now and we let it happen.

We basically lost Turkey when we abandoned those western educated and oriented Generals who had steadfastly protected secularism, and let Erdogan and his nuts jail them on trumped up charges. Now we’re going to pay for it.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I don’t like this business of fucking our allies

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

Maybe Congress should debate it then. Let them vote on it. Put them on the record. Let us not forget that it was Obama that made all these promises to the Kurds. This is why Congress needs to be involved in these things. Vote on it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
... after 15+ years in Afghanistan/Iraq, military leadership finally grasped the concepts of unconventional warfare and was able to articulate that to civilian leadership.

Civilian leadership has to respect the military. We had an 8 year gap on that during this past 15 years.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
The Kurds would do well to call or write a few Montagnards for advice. Good luck finding many, though.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Bad. Very bad.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:...Let us not forget that it was Obama that made all these promises to the Kurds. ...

Well, actually it was #41 that made the promises to the Kurds, then screwed them. Then Clinton screwed them, then W finally went in and stopped the genocide against them, then sort of screwed them a bit too. Obama screwed them, then finally started helping them, now Trump is screwing them.

How many of you were praising Obama when he pulled the troops out of Iraq?

I'm sure Gen Mattis shares the same opinion of Trump as Trump does of himself:

Trump
.....in my great and unmatched wisdom, ...

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

Maybe Congress should debate it then. Let them vote on it. Put them on the record. Let us not forget that it was Obama that made all these promises to the Kurds. This is why Congress needs to be involved in these things. Vote on it.

Yes, I believe that this is part PDJT's strategy. Make the quisling congress-critter's own it, if they want the continuation of our invaluable and priceless resources invested there.

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post