SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any quirks in South Carolina CCW law?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any quirks in South Carolina CCW law? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I have a Georgia carry permit and SC has reciprocity for my state. Anything specific I need to know about CCW in SC?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a good summary http://handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

The TL;DR version is:
  • No guns signs are enforceable
  • Can carry in a restaurant/bar (unless they have a posted sign) but can't consume alcohol
  • Must inform LEO that you are carrying

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
big differences that I know of:
1. must inform LEO when carrying
2. "no gun" signs carry weight of law
3. no carry in daycare/church/hospital/college campus
4. no open carry allowed
5. no alcohol consumption if carrying

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
It was a couple of years ago, but if I recall, no carry in a house of worship. Hopefully you have no sins to repent.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"signs carry weight of law"

Actually that bit is VERY specific. The legislator that wrote that part of the law intended for it to never be met(yup, I spoke to him about it, though now years later I can't remember which it was).

The sizes and locations and specifics of that sign for it to actually carry the weight of law is so designed such that there are likely 2 places in the entire state that meet it.

IE: if you didnt notice a sign, you're good. If there's a gunbuster decal beside the door you're good. If you see the exact 14" x 20" (can't remember the exact " but yes it's that specific and non-standard) solid white non transparent sign ON the door ...etc etc... then you're probably STILL good because they also didn't put the same sign on the opposite door beside it or the back door the employees smoke beside...

I'll have to check on who that was again, because he was a hoot. The law is also written such that if there is a workplace shooting in a place that bans guns the lawyers are going to have a helluva party.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
looked it up.
SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

"eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;" so that it can't just be printed off the office printer easily

lots of details on exactly where on the door it has to go, size and color of type, etc... such that no actual business wanting people to walk in would dare mar up their entrance as required..

and gotchas like EVERY door including the cat patio, etc... and " shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language." yea.. show me the sign that has the exact specified language typed and in sign language Big Grin

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
There are legal signs posted on places... but as mentioned they have to be very specific... the size is 8x12 and such. And I've seen them on some places... Grangers is one...

Besides the church, you can't carry in a private residence unless the owners give you permission.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
"South Carolina Does Not Honor
Non-Resident Permits/Licenses.You must be a resident of the state they honor for your permit to be valid in South Carolina."

But:
"(2)Notwithstanding the reciprocity requirements of subitem (1), South Carolina shall automatically recognize concealed weapon permits issued by Georgia and North Carolina."

Which kills it for me to carry on my Utah permit (PA res.)

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:
It was a couple of years ago, but if I recall, no carry in a house of worship. Hopefully you have no sins to repent.

IIRC, you can carry on church property with written permission from the church.

You can not carry on any school property, not just colleges.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you, all. This "must inform LEO if you're carrying"...

Does this apply only if I'm stopped by an officer? If I'm standing at a food truck and there's a uniformed LEO standing next to me, do I have to turn and say "This is a good hot dog and I'm packin' heat"? Big Grin

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Only if asked for ID.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I am glad GA has reciprocity with SC. For some strange reason, South Carolina is the only southern state that does not have reciprocity with Alabama. Well, VA too, but I consider that state lost to the control of the fascists. SC is a real head scratcher.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post