SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    where to winter over in the southwest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where to winter over in the southwest Login/Join 
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted
Wife retires this summer, I been retired for 5 yrs now,(got a summer job). She lived in Florida when a high schooler and doesn't want to go back, We need ideas about the southwest. ….anyone..... Buhler.....

thanks. Smile

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Scottsdale, Glendale & Goodyear, while sounding like a law firm, seem to be popular retirement venues in Az.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
High desert in Az. Wilhoit is first wide spot down the mountain from Prescott. That's where the Ruger Ranch is, too.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Sierra Vista AZ is a retirement area. Pretty decent weather, high enough elevation that it does get somewhat cold in the winter.
If winter only I would look around Tucson and Phoenix.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
If both of you like to golf or tennis, the Coachella Valley of California (Palm Springs, Palm Desert, La Quinta) is very nice, new, not crowded and reasonably priced. We rent at The Lakes. Just don't become a resident of Californication.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
That's where I'm headed in a few more years, when I can finally officially retire.

Winters in Tucson to just south of the Phoenix area and down to Yuma. Spend a week or 10-14 days in each area, move around, explore and enjoy.

Hot summers in OKC will see me headed to Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana. Same story, stay a short while, move around, enjoy.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Scottsdale, AZ in the winter is wonderful. Absolutely perfect. Get out by Mid April though. lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yuma AZ

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Sierra Vista AZ. High desert, mild winters and summers in Cochise County rarely exceed 100°, which with low humidity is extremely tolerable. Sierra Vista is a modern town with excellent dining, and virtually all conveniences. Lots of recreational activities. Medical is very well covered with a hospital and at lease 1 outpatient surgery center.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Tempe picking grapefruit in a little bit. With no rush to leave. Although November may be my favorite month there.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My MiLaw lives half the year in Sun City and loves it. I believe you have to be 55 to be a resident. She bought a nice duplex for a very reasonable price.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Tucson, Az. Oro Valley, Az. Saddlebrooke, Az.

Santa Catalina, Mountains area.

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 387 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
For year-round living, I much prefer the Tucson area, Sierra Vista, or other high desert towns. However, the Valley of the Sun is where you want to be if it's just for winter. Perfect weather every day.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Yuma AZ

If one can handle temperatures as high as 124 degrees (1995).

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Retirees should look long and hard at the quality of medical care available in the community they are considering. Prescott, for example, although they have a hospital, does not have the capabilities of bigger hospitals closer to Phoenix, or for that matter Tucson as I understand—just learning about this myself.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Retirees should look long and hard at the quality of medical care available in the community they are considering. Prescott, for example, although they have a hospital, does not have the capabilities of bigger hospitals closer to Phoenix, or for that matter Tucson as I understand—just learning about this myself.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very important point. Many people moved to retirement community of The Villages in Florida. One of the selling points was access to good medical care. In an ironic twist of fate, people who had TRADITIONAL Medicare were not considered in network for the Villages because the onsite clinic would only see HMO Medicare aka Medicare Advantage patients. This as I understand it was a recent change.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
There are very few doctors who accept Medicare in the Yavapai County area unless they are associated with Yavapai Regional Hospital. Getting an appointment is not easy.

The alternative is a 100 mile trip to the valley of the damned. It's easier to pay out of pocket.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how much company do you want?
3,000,000 people or
30,000 ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post