SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My friends... I would once again avoid St Louis for a while.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My friends... I would once again avoid St Louis for a while. Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Nicolle Barton, executive director of the St. Louis police civilian oversight board, said: “Certainly we do not want that to be taking place.”

What do you mean "we", kemosabe?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is Nicolle Barton?

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
What is Nicolle Barton?

Linky

quote:
The Board's function is to review and investigate citizen complaints against alleged misconduct of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I find this mind-boggling. All the more so since it was passed with a unanimous vote by the Board of Aldermen. There are links to PDF's containing the actual resolution as well as the Mayor's statement in the link below.

Somehow, amidst all the many 'Whereas' outlining the reasons for remembering Smith, they managed to miss the arrests, suspended sentences, probation violations and ultimately prison terms Smith amassed for such trivial offenses as weapons violations and drugs. An honest oversight, I suppose.

Link

St. Louis aldermen pass resolution remembering Anthony Lamar Smith, angering police

ST. LOUIS • As the city continued to grapple with protests over the acquittal of former police officer Jason Stockley, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen on Friday unanimously approved a resolution remembering the man he fatally shot in 2011.

Also Friday, Mayor Lyda Krewson pledged to support strengthening the city’s Civilian Oversight Board, which investigates complaints against police.

Both the resolution in remembrance of Anthony Lamar Smith and the mayor’s statement sparked outrage from St. Louis police officers, who contend city leaders are bowing to political pressure from the ongoing unrest.

“(Smith’s) death has sparked a universal cry for justice and accountability throughout the City of St. Louis,” reads the resolution, which bears the names of all 28 aldermen. It mentions Smith’s interests in sports and the arts, as well as his dream of becoming a professional clothing designer.

After the resolution was read and approved, Board of Alderman President Lewis Reed and Krewson hugged Smith’s mother, Annie Smith.

Alderman John Collins-Muhammad, who introduced the resolution, said the board acted in part to help ease Annie Smith’s grief.

“His mother had to wait six years for justice, which she still did not get,” Collins-Muhammad said. “So I invited her here today to let her know the city of St. Louis and the Board of Aldermen shares her pain, her frustration and her deep dissatisfaction with the turnout of everything that has happened.”

Jeff Roorda, business manager of the St. Louis Police Officers Association, said the board’s resolution unfairly portrays Anthony Lamar Smith as a hero and amounts to a slap in the face for city cops.

“To see them honoring a person who tried to take a cop’s life is appalling,” Roorda said. “I’ve never ever gotten this many calls and texts about anything the political class has done. My officers are furious about this.”

Roorda also criticized Krewson, who said Friday she supports reforming the way police officers’ use of force is investigated.

“You’ve got yourself a go-it-alone mayor who thinks she can fix law enforcement without talking to law enforcement and who thinks police are the problem in a case where a convicted felon who absconded from parole and was in possession of a firearm and heroin tried to kill a police officer,” Roorda said.

During his trial, Stockley, who is white, argued he shot Smith, who was black, in self-defense after a suspected drug deal and a high-speed pursuit and crash. The chase began when Stockley and his partner, Brian Bianchi, tried to arrest Smith for a suspected drug deal at a Church’s Chicken at Thekla Avenue and Riverview Boulevard and ended when the officers rammed Smith’s car at West Florissant and Acme avenues.

Prosecutors who charged Stockley with first-degree murder and armed criminal action said he carried out the premeditated murder of Smith by shooting him five times at close range and then planting a .38-caliber revolver in Smith’s Buick after police pulled Smith’s body from the car.

Stockley, who waived his right to a jury trial, was found not guilty last week by St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson.

In a city still raw from a police shooting in Ferguson, activists and advocates have again flooded the streets to call for criminal justice reforms that never came to pass after the death of Michael Brown in 2014.

Among their demands has been a push for the Civilian Oversight Board to be given the ability to subpoena witnesses. Without it, they argue, the board’s power is limited.

While not specifically pledging to support that change, the statement Krewson released Friday says she wants that board strengthened and supports reforming the way police officers’ use of force is investigated.

“The core of what I’ve heard over the last week is a call for increased accountability,” Krewson said in the statement.

The question of subpoena power — the authority to compel testimony — was at the heart of the debate over the creation of the board. Supporters of the idea say the move would give the board more power in investigating complaints against police.

But opinions differ as to whether the city’s charter allows it to bestow such power to the board. Then city-Counselor Winston Calvert said in 2015 that doing so would require a public vote to change the charter or a change in state law.

Asked if Krewson supports giving that board subpoena power, her spokesman Koran Addo said via email: “The mayor supports strengthening the Civilian Oversight Board. Subpoena power is likely part of that. However, it is our understanding that authority rests with the state.”

Cities and counties can create civilian review boards under Missouri state law, which gives them the power to “receive, investigate, make findings and recommend disciplinary action upon complaints by members of the public against members of the police department.” Under that law, those recommendations are submitted to the chief of police.

In her statement, Krewson also called on leaders to use the Ferguson Commission Report, issued after Brown’s death, to guide decisions on issues involving police complaints, use of force guidelines and related issues.

“We must remember that as a region, we’ve been here before,” she said.

Aldermen who supported the resolution remembering Smith said they hoped this case would mark a turning point.

“When you look back at history in this time, and you see the change that’s happened ... you’re going to see amongst those records, your son’s name,” Reed told Smith’s mother.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing new.....

Since the early '80's, Mumia Abu-Jamal, the convicted killer of Philadelphia Police officer Daniel Faulkner has received public support from Hollywood actors and heads of large corporations all claiming Jamal's innocence.

Jamal had two jury trials and both ended in a guilty conviction. He's serving a life term in a Pennsylvania prison....

Here's a partial list of those who support Jamal's claim of innocence....

http://www.freemumia.com/2011/...supporters-of-mumia/

Most of the Hollywood clan are not included. The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), union which represented Pennsylvania Corrections rank and file, was fired and replaced in the early '90's over supporting Jamal.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Nothing new.....

Since the early '80's, Mumia Abu-Jamal, the convicted killer of Philadelphia Police officer Daniel Faulkner has received public support from Hollywood actors and heads of large corporations all claiming Jamal's innocence.

Jamal had two jury trials and both ended in a guilty conviction. He's serving a life term in a Pennsylvania prison....

Here's a partial list of those who support Jamal's claim of innocence....

http://www.freemumia.com/2011/...supporters-of-mumia/

I'm well acquainted with that case and have long been baffled by the large numbers of useful idiots championing his cause.

I remember a few elected officials expressing personal opinions on the Abu-Jamal case but I don't recall there being any resolutions arising from governing bodies comprised of elected officials championing his innocence.

What confounds me in this instance is that this resolution is unanimous and thus involves every single elected alderman in the city of St. Louis as well as its mayor.

There was originally a video embedded in the story which showed Board of Alderman President Louis Reed stating the following: "This resolution is the highest honor this board has to give any organization or individual." I can see why that went away although it is still up on the local Fox2 news site.

posted Hide Post
I wish North St.Louis had more moms like this, these issues would take care of themselves.

She's awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?eb...aQDk&time_continue=3

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
So yesterday was more fun in St. Louis area. Protestors were allowed into the Galleria by mall management in the thought that the protestors would have a peaceful march through the first floor for about a half hour and leave......didn't happen. 22 Adults and 1 juvenile arrested. BIG KUDOS to St. Louis County PD for helping arrest and break up the protest.

Good videos and pictures here:

KTVI Galleria Protests

In the below link are two photos, the media and social media has been showing the picture on the left but not the picture on the right (doesn't fit the narrative):

Media Lie vs Real Life

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
So yesterday was more fun in St. Louis area. Protestors were allowed into the Galleria by mall management in the thought that the protestors would have a peaceful march through the first floor for about a half hour and leave......didn't happen. 22 Adults and 1 juvenile arrested. BIG KUDOS to St. Louis County PD for helping arrest and break up the protest.

KTVI Galleria Protests

In the below link are two photos, the media and social media has been showing the picture on the left but not the picture on the right (doesn't fit the narrative):

Media Lie vs Real Life

Yeah, let them into the Mall, 'cause i'll be a peaceful protest.

Whoever made that decision is a fucking Idiot.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

KTVI Galleria Protests

Media Lie vs Real Life

Yeah, let them into the Mall, 'cause i'll be a peaceful protest.

Whoever made that decision is a fucking Idiot.

They did based on what happened at West County Mall and Chesterfield Mall earlier in the week but it was a decision that was made by the out of town mall corporate bosses.

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
They did based on what happened at West County Mall and Chesterfield Mall earlier in the week but it was a decision that was made by the out of town mall corporate bosses.

The malls are dying.... like the NFL. Wink
The protests just speed up the process.
Do you remember Crestwood mall?
What about CityPlace, or whatever the one downtown was?
When the politicians gave us crimelink, the metro train between St. Louis and E. St. Louis, the criminals had an easy way to get from E. St. Louis to Union Station.... and they killed it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I got to see it up front and in person in St. Charles the other day. Just prior to that we were eating at The Mills when the police started rolling in. Apparently they were supposed to be gathering there ahead of time.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drove though on Saturday from Fort Leonard Wood Mo, had to take a road construction detour, sure glad it was during the daylight, cause my white ass wouldn't have wanted to be in that area at night...pistol locked up cause I had to drive through Illinois...lol

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

The malls are dying.... like the NFL. Wink
The protests just speed up the process.
Do you remember Crestwood mall?
What about CityPlace, or whatever the one downtown was?
When the politicians gave us crimelink, the metro train between St. Louis and E. St. Louis, the criminals had an easy way to get from E. St. Louis to Union Station.... and they killed it.

Growing up in Washington, I loved Crestwood mall. That K B Toys store right at the top of the stairs from the parking garage... Don't forget Northwest Plaza. We were living in Maryland Heights when it bit the dust. My dad used to work at the Sears there, many fond memories as a lad. Right before it closed it only consisted of Sears and every single athletic shoe retailer there was... catering to the demographic that killed it. Well, that and The Mills and West County Mall.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Growing up in Washington, I loved Crestwood mall. That K B Toys store right at the top of the stairs from the parking garage... Don't forget Northwest Plaza. We were living in Maryland Heights when it bit the dust. My dad used to work at the Sears there, many fond memories as a lad. Right before it closed it only consisted of Sears and every single athletic shoe retailer there was... catering to the demographic that killed it. Well, that and The Mills and West County Mall.

Have you been back to the area recently?

Crestwood is now an empty lot. They are still chewing up some of the concrete, but the only thing remaining of the mall are a few small piles of rock.

The portion of Northwest that housed the Sears is gone. They demolished a good portion of that site, but have since redeveloped it. It seems to be getting along well in its new format.

The Mills is a ghost town. It's mostly vacant. Cabela's is still there for the time being along with a few others. Almost all of the small interior shops are long gone. I think the food court is down to 1 or 2 options.

West County is still plugging along. Last time I was in Chesterfield Mall there were many vacant spaces. Half maybe? MidRivers is also struggling, but not nearly as bad as Chesterfield. Jamestown is completely vacant. Attempts to get it demolished and redeveloped have failed so far.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Don't forget Northwest Plaza.

As I remember, the area's first mall. Such a new concept at the time, the stores were outside. Eek

North county, long gone, nuff said.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link

Acquitted St. Louis Officer Sues Prosecutor, Internal Affairs Detective Over Murder Charge
Former St. Louis police Officer Jason Stockley is suing the former prosecutor who charged him with murder for an on-duty shooting and the internal affairs detective who helped build the case against him.

Former St. Louis police Officer Jason Stockley is suing the former prosecutor who charged him with murder for an on-duty shooting and the internal affairs detective who helped build the case against him.

The suit filed Wednesday claims defamation and malicious prosecution, and says they misrepresented and intentionally disregarded evidence in bringing him to trial.

A judge in September found Stockley not guilty of murder in the 2011 shooting of drug suspect Anthony Lamar Smith, 24, a verdict that ignited months of protests in the St. Louis area.

Stockley says he never should have been charged. His lawsuit, filed in federal court, alleges former Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce lied to a judge to secure Stockley's arrest and when she claimed "new evidence" had surfaced from the shooting, which she said led her to file charges against him in 2016.

Prosecutors have broad immunity from civil suits, so it's unclear whether the claims against Joyce could succeed even if proven.

The lawsuit also alleges former St. Louis police internal affairs investigator Kirk Deeken made false claims about evidence to grand jurors that led to Stockley's indictment.

"I don't want to (file this lawsuit); I sort of have to," Stockley, who now lives in Texas, told the Post-Dispatch recently. "Their actions recklessly keyed up the city for riots. It's more than just the suffering of me and my family. If an injustice like this is allowed, it threatens justice everywhere and it can happen to anyone."

Stockley said that he believes Joyce's decision to charge him with murder was a way for her to pacify protesters and preserve her legacy.

Joyce had been targeted by protesters about a year before charging Stockley. Police made arrests and used tear gas to disperse activists who protested at her home in May 2015 for her decision not to charge an officer in an unrelated shooting.

A few weeks after charging Stockley, Joyce's office announced it would not be charging a police officer for another unrelated high-profile shooting, an announcement that also triggered protests.

"There was political pressure and someone had to be sacrificed," said Dan Finney, Stockley's civil attorney. "This was an injustice for Jason Stockley and for the black community." Stockley is white; Smith was black.

Joyce had announced before Stockley's indictment that she would not seek re-election. Her successor, current Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner, oversaw the prosecution of Stockley but is not named in the suit, which seeks at least $75,000 in damages.

Joyce released a statement Wednesday saying she believed her office had sufficient evidence to charge Stockley. She called the lawsuit "frivolous" and "designed to discourage prosecutors from considering charges against police officers for violating the law."

"While this lawsuit may achieve a goal of headlines today, I have confidence that this will be resolved in my favor in a court of law," she wrote.

A message left for Deeken was not immediately returned. A spokeswoman for the St. Louis Police Department said Deeken was not available for comment and the department had not seen the suit. A mayoral spokesman said the city counselor was reviewing the suit.

The shooting

Stockley fatally shot Smith on Dec. 20, 2011, following a high-speed chase. The encounter began on the parking lot of a Church's Chicken restaurant in St. Louis where Stockley and his partner said they saw Smith involved in a drug deal.

When they pulled up behind Smith's car, Smith backed into their police SUV and damaged several other cars while maneuvering out of the spot to escape.

Smith led the officers on a 3-mile chase at speeds that reached at least 87 mph through city neighborhoods. Prosecutors alleged at trial that during the chase, Stockley could be heard saying, "Going to kill this (expletive) don't you know it," on his in-car camera.

Eventually Smith crashed the car. Stockley ordered his partner to ram Smith's car after the crash, saying later he feared Smith would again take off if they didn't disable his car.

Stockley approached Smith's car with his gun still holstered. Fifteen seconds passed before Stockley shot Smith, who the officer said had reached for a gun despite commands to show his hands. A handgun was found in the car after the shooting.

Smith was hit five times and died at the scene

Then-Police Chief Dan Isom asked the FBI to review the shooting -- an unusual move for the department, which at that time had its own homicide division investigate officer-involved shootings. Ultimately, U.S. Attorney Richard Callahan declined to prosecute, as did the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division.

A civil lawsuit resulted in a settlement of $900,000 in 2013 to Smith's daughter, who was 1 at the time of the shooting.

Stockley resigned from the department in 2013 after serving a 30-day unpaid suspension. That was for carrying an unauthorized personally owned AK-47 rifle on duty during the encounter with Smith, though he did not fire that weapon.

Evidence, aftermath

The lawsuit says that former Police Chief Sam Dotson, who succeeded Isom, asked the department's new Force Investigation Unit to take a look at the shooting in 2016 but says investigators were then told to forget the investigation because Joyce had already decided to charge Stockley.

In announcing Stockley's arrest two years ago, Joyce told the Post-Dispatch she had not previously seen the in-car camera footage of the shooting and that DNA evidence that was not previously available factored in her decision to charge Stockley.

In the lawsuit, Stockley's attorneys note that Deeken testified during pretrial proceedings that Joyce was given all of the evidence three years earlier. Isom, the former police chief, also said Joyce had the evidence years earlier.

Stockley's attorneys allege that prosecutors deliberately left out facts, including Smith's criminal history and the alleged drug deal followed by a high-speed chase that preceded the shooting, that should have been presented to the judge weighing whether to arrest Stockley.

At trial, prosecutors showed in-car camera footage of Stockley returning to his police SUV and rifling through a duffel bag in his back seat after shooting Smith.

Prosecutors alleged at trial and before grand jurors that Stockley retrieved a gun to plant in Smith's car from the duffel bag. They said the fact that Stockley's DNA, and not Smith's, was found on the gun proved Stockley had it in his possession prior to the shooting.

Attorneys for Jason Stockley say this still image taken of in-car video shows former St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley holding a "clot pack" in his hand after he searched through a bag in his car. Photo provided by Dan Finney, Stockley's attorney.

Stockley's civil attorneys say that the circuit attorney's office has argued countless times in other cases that the absence of a suspect's DNA on a gun doesn't prove their innocence.

"The Circuit Attorney cannot have it both ways," the suit says.

Stockley denies planting a gun, and told investigators that he returned to his police SUV to get a "clot pack," used to stop bleeding. In the civil lawsuit, Stockley's attorneys allege that a slowed-down version of the in-car camera shows the top of a clot pack in Stockley's hand.

Disputing evidence

Stockley's 46-page lawsuit also focuses on several key pieces of evidence he says Deeken and the circuit attorney's office lied about at trial and before grand jurors.

A probable cause statement said Smith's car was slowing to a stop, implying he was surrendering before he was shot, when in fact he didn't stop until he crashed, the lawsuit says.

Deeken told the grand jury that a puff of smoke can be seen rising from Smith's window as Stockley fires a final shot despite Smith no longer being a threat. At trial, prosecutors called it the "kill shot."

A breakdown of the judge's ruling in Jason Stockley murder case

Stockley's attorneys note another officer was standing next to Stockley when the alleged shot was fired, and that officer testified at trial that he did not hear a shot fired.

Prosecutors never offered any evidence that Stockley's gun produced a puff of smoke if fired, and audio evidence from in-car cameras and Smith's vehicle proves a shot was not fired at that time, according to the lawsuit.

The puff of smoke was most likely an officer's breath in the cold air, according to the lawsuit, which also notes that the trial judge agreed with that theory when he found Stockley not guilty.

Deeken also told grand jurors that OnStar -- a satellite-based service available on some cars to help drivers in emergency situations -- began recording in Smith's car on impact and captured the sound of the alleged "kill shot" as well as Smith saying, "Don't shoot, please don't shoot."

Prosecutors did not ask Deeken to testify about the recording at trial. According to the lawsuit, that's because the recording began well after Smith was shot and didn't actually capture those things.

In a deposition 10 months after the grand jury testimony, Deeken told prosecutors that the tape is "poor quality" and recommended that it not be used at trial.

Faith in the justice system

Though he is a free man, Stockley said the stigma attached to him from the ordeal is making it hard to find employment. His passport has not been returned. He said he was the highest ranking candidate for a police job in Texas before he was arrested.

"Anyone who does a background check and sees that I've been charged with murder isn't going to hire me," he said.

Still, Stockley said he is confident about the civil lawsuit and he has "faith" in the judicial system.

"Because in the end," he said of his acquittal, "it worked."

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I guess that any police force looking at hiring him would see a walking policy violation and take a hard pass. Now maybe if he didn’t get charged all the information might be less available and he might sneak in somewhere, but I’d guess it is his actions, not the prosecution that hurts his chances of getting an LEO job.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post