SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CNN dieting article
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CNN dieting article Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Two psychologists writing an article on nutrition. That seems credible.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

I don't think they are really discussing nutrition. They studied the way the brain interprets hunger, reward, etc. It may be BS, but I think it's interesting. It wasn't that long ago that all kinds of habitual behaviors from alcoholism to smoking were simply viewed as weaknesses.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zimman20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

I don't think they are really discussing nutrition. They studied the way the brain interprets hunger, reward, etc. It may be BS, but I think it's interesting. It wasn't that long ago that all kinds of habitual behaviors from alcoholism to smoking were simply viewed as weaknesses.

Fair enough, but I don't believe you can dismiss the notion that calories in must be equal or less than calories out (or expended) or you'll gain weight. That make sense? They dismissed it entirely, if I'm reading the article right...

Also, as some others have touched on - a lot of it has to do with the garbage we ingest. Bread and bread products are simply no good and weight-gain central. Cut out or limit the sodas, chips & other junk food - eat meals slowly, in moderation, take in as many or less calories than you burn - and weight will stabilize, or come off.

Having pizza? Great, have two slices instead of three or four. Train yourself to eat slowly and you body will signal it's full sooner. I think by now must of us know that we can and do eat faster than our brains can register that we're full and thus we'll keep eating until we're overstuffed.

I lost about 25 lbs this year doing just the above. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week for 45 mins to 1 hr. FYI, I have a sedentary job so I know it's easy to pack on the pounds living such a lifestyle.

Bottom line, and sorry if it's tough to hear - you can have a few of those hershey kisses mentioned in the article, but you must have the willpower to cut yourself off after a few. If you can't do that - then you should probably avoid them altogether, IME. I speak from experience - I can eat a whole sleeve of GS cookies (thin mints, natch) in one sitting if I'm in that mode.

Finally, I'm convinced that whatever processed foods we're eating nowadays are somehow chemically altered to make eating just a 'few' very difficult to do. Try eating a few Hershey Kisses, Doritos, potato chips, etc. - very difficult. For me it's just easier to not eat them at all, and in very short order I find my cravings for such junk food goes away entirely. Once I've had some I find it very easy to fall back into craving them the next day. YMMV, all that.

Oh, and this - as others smarter than me have said - you can't go into a 'diet' thinking I'll take off the weight and voila! It must become a new way of life and a new way of approaching food and the nourishment you need to survive, and no more. Any more and the weight piles back on, year after year. Cool

--------------------------------------------------------------
zman

P229 SAS
Sig 1911 STX

Posts: 936 | Location: Stanley, NC | Registered: September 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
This 'article' is complete nonsense. It's an excuse to be fat. It's the old 'metabolism' excuse dusted off and transformed into an attack on folks who actually have the 'willpower' to control their weight. Long term weight loss equals long term diet control.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Sorry, won't click on any CNN links.

Thanks for contributing.

I refuse to support CNN after they have routinely brutalized, overemphasised and plain outright lied about things President Trump does. Anyone posting a link here should be aware that when you click it, they sell more ads and make money. I will not support it, but do what you'd like, it's a free country.

Plenty of great diet advice in many other places. Best to you all, and good luck with any New Years resolutions.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimman20:Fair enough, but I don't believe you can dismiss the notion that calories in must be equal or less than calories out (or expended) or you'll gain weight. That make sense? They dismissed it entirely, if I'm reading the article right...

They did not dismiss that concept.

BTW: I've got no dog in the fight. I'm not among the 75% of men over 50 who are overweight or obese, but I do eat some bread and pasta.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Article is recycled BS. It takes a given amount of energy to do a given amount of work. It’s physics...or thermodynamics...or biochemistry...choose your discipline

Bottom line: If you take in more energy than you expend, the remainder is stored energy, and that is weight gain.

If you expend more energy than is consumed, you utilize stored energy, and that is weight loss.

Am I now worth my weight in gold?

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Article is recycled BS. It takes a given amount of energy to do a given amount of work. It’s physics...or thermodynamics...or biochemistry...choose your discipline

Bottom line: If you take in more energy than you expend, the remainder is stored energy, and that is weight gain.

If you expend more energy than is consumed, you utilize stored energy, and that is weight loss.

Am I now worth my weight in gold?

If the body were a robot running on a program...you would be correct.

Or to put it differently, you are correct. Problem is that it can be quite difficult to nail down exactly what the figures are on both sides of your equation and to make matters worse, the energy side changes in response to what (and when) of the inputs.

You can sit on the couch and eat 1500 cals of Twinkies and lose weight....until you hit an equalibrium of being "skinny-fat" where your metabolism has slowed to a crawl, you have no muscle mass, and might quite literally be going insane due to all those crap carbs without any meaningful nutrition and being driven crazy by hunger.

Short-term weight loss is like walking a tightrope, making adjustments here and there to keep things moving, keep the metabolism going etc. Long-term weight loss is psychological, you need to be mentally equipped to make long term healthier choices.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post