New
Find
Notify
Tools

Respect Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
OUT. DAMN. STANDING.

Respect indeed. So sad that so many have no idea what that is.

My FIL was a simple Christian country boy. An honorable, hard working man who served in Germany as an Officer's Aid. He came home to raise a family of 6 kids, honey bees, a garden and ran a Dairy Farm until he succumbed to alzheimer's. A lifetime subscriber to Mother Earth news and National Geographic.

As the procession rolled down Main Street, past the last full service gas station in town, two young men were attending a car, one filling the gas tank and one under the open hood.

Upon seeing the Hearse, they both stopped what they were doing, moved to the street side of the car, removed and placed their their caps over their hearts and stood at attention until the procession had passed.

Those young men likely had no idea who they were honoring, whether it was deserved or not, or how much it meant to me.

Respect indeed.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Wow. I've never seen that.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Yes, OUTSTANDING!

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OK, dangit, you're giving me hope for this species again.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'll be that guy.

Unless that military guy knows the dead person or the family or he knows the dead was KIA or a high enough officer, I think he's an idiot for getting out of his car in the rain and rendering salute.

Or maybe it's the sailor in me that's speaking.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'll be that guy.

Unless that military guy knows the dead person or the family or he knows the dead was KIA or a high enough officer, I think he's an idiot for getting out of his car in the rain and rendering salute.

I respect his decision to honor the deceased and the family.

Being a self-avowed misanthrope, I wouldn't do it because I have no way of knowing if the deceased was some thug from the 'hood that got himself killified carjacking the wrong dude.

But that's on me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
An honorable action. When I lived near Rhien-Main in Germany, US was fighting first Gulf War. Our injured soldiers were medivaced to the hospital there. When the ambulance approached the base, any cars nearby were shut off, and the guards saluted the injured as they past by. Very touching.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be that guy.

Do we really need anyone to "be that guy?"

In a world full of bullshit, why take a piss when it's not necessary?

I miss the days when people remembered this saying:

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Not every party needs a pooper, and not every thread needs it's door darkened or subject opposed. Particularly when the subject matter of a thread is positive or uplifting, no one really is interested in someone being "that guy."

Please let people have untarnished threads of this manor.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be that guy.

He simply stood at attention. Where do you assume he rendered a salute? I mean really, he's an idiot? What's your problem?

Just imagine a young boy in that procession of cars not knowing much about life but knows that someone he loved is now gone forever (maybe his father, maybe his brother). Imagine he's looking out the window and sees that soldier standing at attention showing that magnitude of respect for someone he cared deeply about. Imagine the impact such an innocuous act might have on that young boy.

Or imagine it was just some dead low life in that hearse.

Now I ask you. In both scenarios, what is the gain and what is the loss for a few minutes that this soldier stood in the rain at attention? Idiot? Not even close.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be that guy.

Seriously!?!?

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Maybe he saluted because the casket had a flag draped over it.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
I'll be that guy.

Do we really need anyone to "be that guy?"

In a world full of bullshit, why take a piss when it's not necessary?

I miss the days when people remembered this saying:

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Not every party needs a pooper, and not every thread needs it's door darkened or subject opposed. Particularly when the subject matter of a thread is positive or uplifting, no one really is interested in someone being "that guy."

Please let people have untarnished threads of this manor.

Very well stated. Thank you for saying it better than I could have.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be that guy.

Ooops!

Don't you hate it when you step in it like that?!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Respect. Those who have it need no explanation. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Respect. Those who have it need no explanation. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.

H&K-Guy

Yes!

Won't comment on the asinine commentary regarding the incident. Oh, I guess I just did.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I'm a sailor, and I would stand at attention.

Even after retiring, I stop and pull to the right when a hearse approaches.

It is called respect.

When a servicemember dies he is given a 21 gun salute to show that in death we are all equal.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be that guy.Unless that military guy knows the dead person or the family or he knows the dead was KIA or a high enough officer, I think he's an idiot for getting out of his car in the rain and rendering salute.Or maybe it's the sailor in me that's speaking.

Sorry to judge you on one post, but you have to be a total idiot to post this. Hope Im wrong, but how could paying respects to anyone be a bad thing. Whether you are a sailor or not. I know plenty of sailors, and your comment would piss the ones I know off. This is the problem with our society.

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
I'll be that guy.

Ooops!

Don't you hate it when you step in it like that?!

I was wrong to think that he saluted but I still stand by what I said. How many people do that: hearse driving by, stop the car, put it in park, get out and stand as the hearse goes by, rain notwithstanding. What makes it special just because the guy is wearing a uniform?

We applaud behavior because we think its commendable and that more people ought to do it. Have we considered what would happen if more people would stop their car on the road, put it in park and stand respectfully as a hearse drives by???

The picture shows the traffic light red while the hearse is driving by just pass the intersection on the innermost lane. Which means the light must have just turned red. I see no evidence to the contrary that the guy had to have stopped while the light was green (which is why the hearse is driving by).

I've never come across any military regulation that military people have to get out of their car and stand at attention while a hearse drives by. I've never read anything from dear abbey or miss manners that one should step out of their vehicle in traffic while a hearse drives by.

This isn't extraordinary behavior, it's just out of the ordinary.

One of the things I like about this forum is that it does allow for alternative viewpoints instead of falling into group think. And it's not as if I always take the contrarian viewpoint on every discussion.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's the answer.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post